I FEEL LIKE A NOOB AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
webster city IA
Fork me, things have changed... (backstory) Been vaping since 2010, and started making my own e-liquid in about 2012. took about the last 6-8 months off and now I'm doing research to replace my old and beet Mech tube mod... and holy crap things are different. We have like Pods now, salt nick and I missed the whole sub-ohm tank thing since I have been doing the RDA thing, and then there's the e-liquid... when the heck did it become affordable, I used to pay $30 for 30mil and I go to a shop earlier in the week and got like 100mil for like $25 and that was a shop price which is a little more than online! holy crap I'm not going to make liquid again for a while, I like simple and it's just more affordable now. But I think ill end up getting a regulated mod that comes with a tank and pick up a new RDA (want to try something other than round wire). The only thing is I prefer rebuildable because buying atomizers gets old after 9 years... Maybe a squonker thing?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
when the heck did it become affordable
A competitive market couldn't sustain a whole lot vendors charging $30 for a bottle of liquid that costs $1.00 to make. ;)

The exception is pre-filled pods. Do the math on a $4.00 Juul pod that holds 0.7ml. :eek:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
7DA5D4FB-123A-4CAD-8837-7B30219D0AB5.jpeg

Did somebody say squonkers? :D

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
webster city IA
View attachment 830287

Did somebody say squonkers? :D

Nice! I think it might be the best fit for me, I just dig RDAs because I can make my own coils and I have had so many leaky crappy tanks over the years that I'm not excited to use one at all. kind of want to try a pod also but just for easy carry mouth to lung type of thing. what's your fave squonk ATM?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Nice! I think it might be the best fit for me, I just dig RDAs because I can make my own coils and I have had so many leaky crappy tanks over the years that I'm not excited to use one at all. kind of want to try a pod also but just for easy carry mouth to lung type of thing. what's your fave squonk ATM?

I’m still pretty new to the squonk game (believe it or not) but I guess my favorite is the Luna - must be or I wouldn’t have so many. They’re unregulated but protected, and I thought that was a good way to dip my toe in the unregulated pool.

I can’t complain about any of the ones I have. Don’t use the Topside dual as much as the others simply because it’s so dang big and heavy lol.

I build around .3- .4 single coils mostly anyway, so single 18650 mods are sufficient. Nice to have a couple dual battery mods on hand too.

I’ve tried a couple AIOs and like the Flint and Biip, but I just got a Flow pod and it’s my favorite tiny vape.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Locally, single Juul pods go for $13.99 in convenience stores and gas stations.
I was shaking my head just today.
I didn't realize Juul pods were sold in single packages. I've only ever seen them in packs of four.

<Checking Juul's site -- time passes>

Looks like Juul now has two-packs. List is $9.99. Call it $5 per pod.

And they still offer four-packs for $15.99, or $4 per pod.

Are you sure there aren't two pods in one of those $13.99 packages?

Is Taxachusetts living up to it's name? ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Fork me, things have changed... (backstory) Been vaping since 2010, and started making my own e-liquid in about 2012. took about the last 6-8 months off and now I'm doing research to replace my old and beet Mech tube mod... and holy crap things are different. We have like Pods now, salt nick and I missed the whole sub-ohm tank thing since I have been doing the RDA thing, and then there's the e-liquid... when the heck did it become affordable, I used to pay $30 for 30mil and I go to a shop earlier in the week and got like 100mil for like $25 and that was a shop price which is a little more than online! holy crap I'm not going to make liquid again for a while, I like simple and it's just more affordable now. But I think ill end up getting a regulated mod that comes with a tank and pick up a new RDA (want to try something other than round wire). The only thing is I prefer rebuildable because buying atomizers gets old after 9 years... Maybe a squonker thing?
Hmmm.. a quick catch up:

Mechs now have safety issues
Batteries got a lot more powerful but retained the same form factor and as a result mechs in general are out of favor because the safety measures that worked for the old batteries don’t work for the new ones anymore and the result is significant danger. They’re not impossible to use, but you literally do not dare screw up. Ever.

“Salt nic” is not looked at with universal kindness
The issue is it was invented and marketed by company who used opaque and misleading marketing and so far as anyone can tell did no safety testing at all. There is not one kind of “salt” there are hundreds of possible ones and something like 6 or 8 different compounds which are all commonly marketed as “salt”. Long term effects for the different compounds are totally unknown, unlike unprotonated nic that researchers have been messing with since the 1960’s.
It has some advantages though. Namely variable throat hit and as a result some smokers that can not tolerate regular nic can tolerate protonated stuff.
It’s on my personal “oh hell no” list but there are many here who disagree with this assessment.

VV mods have gotten a LOT better, cheaper, and more powerful
There are $30 mods out today that outperform stuff that would have cost $150 in 2012. They’ve become the standard goto instead of mechs. They have a lot of built in safety features, and dial-wattage and Temperature Control vastly simplify things.

Pods are basically oddly shaped carto cigalikes, more or less.
They’re (usually but not always) a return to the bad old days of cigalikes, but with a few improvements. They tend to have larger juice reservoirs and (slightly) bigger coils and wicks. Also they're proprietary from stem to stern generally. Continuing use costs get obnoxiously large fast. While many of them are imho actually functionally inferior to an old kanger ego a few of them offer improvements to the old devices. Pricing is not generally one of them though.

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
webster city IA
Hmmm.. a quick catch up:

Mechs now have safety issues
Batteries got a lot more powerful but retained the same form factor and as a result mechs in general are out of favor because the safety measures that worked for the old batteries don’t work for the new ones anymore and the result is significant danger. They’re not impossible to use, but you literally do not dare screw up. Ever.

“Salt nic” is not looked at with universal kindness
The issue is it was invented and marketed by company who used opaque and misleading marketing and so far as anyone can tell did no safety testing at all. There is not one kind of “salt” there are hundreds of possible ones and something like 6 or 8 different compounds which are all commonly marketed as “salt”. Long term effects for the different compounds are totally unknown, unlike unprotonated nic that researchers have been messing with since the 1960’s.
It has some advantages though. Namely variable throat hit and as a result some smokers that can not tolerate regular nic can tolerate protonated stuff.
It’s on my personal “oh hell no” list but there are many here who disagree with this assessment.

VV mods have gotten a LOT better, cheaper, and more powerful
There are $30 mods out today that outperform stuff that would have cost $150 in 2012. They’ve become the standard goto instead of mechs. They have a lot of built in safety features, and dial-wattage and Temperature Control vastly simplify things.

Pods are basically oddly shaped carto cigalikes, more or less.
They’re (usually but not always) a return to the bad old days of cigalikes, but with a few improvements. They tend to have larger juice reservoirs and (slightly) bigger coils and wicks. Also they're proprietary from stem to stern generally. Continuing use costs get obnoxiously large fast. While many of them are imho actually functionally inferior to an old kanger ego a few of them offer improvements to the old devices. Pricing is not generally one of them though.

Nice, Thank you :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Nice, Thank you :)
    Oh! One more..

Friends don’t let friends buy SMOK
    SMOK used to make some pretty good carto refills. The vast vast majority of their new hardware redefines the term “low grade crap”. They’ve become famous for abysmal quality control and their devices have a reputation for dying in mere weeks or months.

Last edited:

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
    webster city IA
    Oh! One more..

Friends don’t let friends buy SMOK
    SMOK used to make some pretty good carto refills. The vast vast majority of their new hardware redefines the term “low grade crap”. They’ve become famous for abysmal quality control and their devices have a reputation for dying I’m mere weeks or months.

No worries, I have an RDA from them that I don't like, and I also don't
    like the company name anyway lol

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
    webster city IA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    No worries, I have an RDA from them that I don't like, and I also don't
    like the company name anyway lol
    Ironically their RDA lines are least affected by these problems. It’s the stuff with electronics and especially batteries in them that are particularly bad.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Ironically their RDA lines are least affected by these problems. It’s the stuff with electronics and especially batteries in them that are particularly bad.
    Anything by Smok, that could smok, can smok, and, given how smok owners treat smok products, most likely will smok.

Reactions: Earthtograce

Earthtograce

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2016
    Baltimore,MD

Pods are very easy for me! I love that it’s no mess, flavors are good , and salt nic satisfies my itch while I’m out or at work without having to chain vape. I use the MIPod. You can refill the cartridges 5 or 6 times and one cartridge lasts me about a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiltsbilt

Dec 1, 2012
    webster city IA
    Pods are very easy for me! I love that it’s no mess, flavors are good , and salt nic satisfies my itch while I’m out or at work without having to chain vape. I use the MIPod. You can refill the cartridges 5 or 6 times and one cartridge lasts me about a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on, Thank you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread