I hate mother nature !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
So recently i've bought myself an Ijoy limitless xl rta, turns out i thought i had big issues with it but my real problem was without me knowing the outside temperature. It's getting so cold out that my liquid is kinda freezing and not wicking properly at all which results in dry hits over dry hits and it's the most annoying thing ever. Turns out i did some research afterwards only to find i'm probably gonna need an rda for the winter xD i didn't think i would ever go the dripping route but if i'm gonna have that many issues with wicking in the winter.... Might aswell try dripping since it's my best bet -.-

I'm still open to suggestions if someone has any besides the usual : keep your stuff in your coat as much as possible to keep it from going too cold. Thing is when i want a vape i want it now which is why i'm having to consider an rda for the winters.

NB: whenever i'm inside and my stuff gets to room temperature it's the most beautifull thing ever though so no issues there.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
What's your PG/VG ratio?
In colder temperatures, mixes with more PG work better.
All i know about my liquids is that they're higher vg content (like 70 vg and upwards)
Also knew about the ratio before posting this as i made some research but getting my wicks wet is the hard part as the juice becomes almost solid when i go out lolz turned my tank upside down this afternoon and nothing moved :lol:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
All i know about my liquids is that they're higher vg content (like 70 vg and upwards)
Also knew about the ratio before posting this as i made some research but getting my wicks wet is the hard part as the juice becomes almost solid when i go out lolz turned my tank upside down this afternoon and nothing moved :lol:
That’s more than just VG. VG will get almost honey like a very low temps but you need to get it near -40 for it to actually freeze. Is there maybe some water in your mix as well?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That’s more than just VG. VG will get almost honey like a very low temps but you need to get it near -40 for it to actually freeze. Is there maybe some water in your mix as well?
Actually alot of things can change that freezing point, like pg for an easy example which dosen't have the same freezing point as vg does but nic and flavoring also play a role in that. And no i don't add anything to my liquids and i don't make em myself either,but if there was i'd probably notice or rather would've noticed. It was about -10C here and i managed to put my tank upside down without it moving at all, it wasen't frozen (obviously) but definetely not liquid anymore lolz, which in turns causes wicks to not wet properly which in turn causes dry hits. Even now i'm wondering about my wicks still as the top of em looks rather white but that's another story (new rba, new wicking style i have to find so trials and errors)

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I'd suggest trying more PG to start with. North Dakota is a lot colder than Quebec and I haven't had a problem with the liquid thickening with my 65-75% PG down to about 30 below - Fahrenheit. Now using a metal drip tip, that's an absolute NO at those temps. Bombastinator had a good point about being sure there's no water in it - sometimes people will use that to thin out high VG.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Actually alot of things can change that freezing point, like pg for an easy example which dosen't have the same freezing point as vg does but nic and flavoring also play a role in that. And no i don't add anything to my liquids and i don't make em myself either,but if there was i'd probably notice or rather would've noticed. It was about -10C here and i managed to put my tank upside down without it moving at all, it wasen't frozen (obviously) but definetely not liquid anymore lolz, which in turns causes wicks to not wet properly which in turn causes dry hits. Even now i'm wondering about my wicks still as the top of em looks rather white but that's another story (new rba, new wicking style i have to find so trials and errors)

Maybe it's time to start DIYing your own ejuice. I mix PG/VG at 35/65 and I don't have any problems in the winter here in Ontario with my RTA's.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I'd suggest trying more PG to start with. North Dakota is a lot colder than Quebec and I haven't had a problem with the liquid thickening with my 65-75% PG down to about 30 below - Fahrenheit. Now using a metal drip tip, that's an absolute NO at those temps. Bombastinator had a good point about being sure there's no water in it - sometimes people will use that to thin out high VG.
IF that would be the case there's no indication so i can't know for sure (nothing on label) so that's a total mystery even if i highly doubt that's something. And idk why or how, all i know is that it happened and i basically had dry hits all day with my 2 tanks (2nd being a baby beast which i've never really had wicking issues with), and the fact i can put my rta upside down without the liquid moving is kinda weird if it's not that it's expanding or whatever. ALso i have no higher pg liquids (all high vg %) and i'm a poor man so buying new liquids for that is a no no, the thread was mainly to see if anyone else had winter issues and to rant a bit.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
As someone who vaped outside during breaks/lunch at work (night shift) during a -30F flash freeze that lasted for 2-3 months I can personally attest to the reliability of a good RDA in these conditions.

Sorry I don't have any better advice. Wrap a pocket warmer around the tank with a rubber band? :D

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
IF that would be the case there's no indication so i can't know for sure (nothing on label) so that's a total mystery even if i highly doubt that's something. And idk why or how, all i know is that it happened and i basically had dry hits all day with my 2 tanks (2nd being a baby beast which i've never really had wicking issues with), and the fact i can put my rta upside down without the liquid moving is kinda weird if it's not that it's expanding or whatever. ALso i have no higher pg liquids (all high vg %) and i'm a poor man so buying new liquids for that is a no no, the thread was mainly to see if anyone else had winter issues and to rant a bit.
i do feel your pain and understand the rant, if you put vg in the freezer it turns into syrup. you got a good reason now to ease into diy now. maybe you can stick it down your pants between vapes.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
i do feel your pain and understand the rant, if you put vg in the freezer it turns into syrup. you got a good reason now to ease into diy now. maybe you can stick it down your pants between vapes.
Ahah thanks :p and funny enough it's already between my knees when im on the bus since i want it to sit up straight xD And i'm a forklift driver so sometimes i'm working while sitting too so overall a kinda neat idea :lol:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Omg North Dakota?! I grew up there. When I was a kid a zero visibility ground blizzard blew up and a bunch of people died in sight of the local mall because drifting snow covered their cars while they were stuck on the freeway. Only place I know of where a snowdrift can actually chase you. I found it a horrible place but many like it

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Go outside, use a stainless steel mod, hold it out in your hand and let it get good and cold. Then slip it inside your shirt under your left arm and you'll freeze, go into hypersleep and age more slowly. Yeah, it doesn't help with your vaping now but maybe when you wake up there will be a solution. You're welcome.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good luck Qc, I have never experienced these problems so I can't be of much help. More PG seems to be the consensus. You should be able to just buy pg at a pharmacy possibly (not sure how Canada is about that) to add PG to your mixes cheaply.

I will say during summer months my problem is making sure no vapes get left in my car, since it heats up enough to explode batteries, probably.... :)

Anna

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Omg North Dakota?! I grew up there. When I was a kid a zero visibility ground blizzard blew up and a bunch of people died in sight of the local mall because drifting snow covered their cars while they were stuck on the freeway. Only place I know of where a snowdrift can actually chase you. I found it a horrible place but many like it

Well, I moved back by choice, from the tropics of southern Minnesota. I'm out in the middle of nowhere now, even by ND standards, in a town that has a population ~80 - in the summer. When we first moved up here I was commuting to a job 70 miles away, and that's not fun, but at least you don't have to worry about the traffic. I'm disabled/retired now, so that's not an issue.

But I like the wide open, The wind farm on my avatar is about 25 miles south of here - you can't get more open than that. I'm on a migratory bird route, and thanks to the internet have most of my shopping delivered to the door, which makes it possible to live here in poor health. And my fairly nice completely paid for 3 bedroom house cost less than a down payment on a similar house would be almost anywhere else. Leaving me more money to spend on vaping.

Also thanks to the internet, I've reconnected with old friends and made new ones.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I'm poor. If you realized my actual income you would look at yours and decide your actually wealthy - and I can afford a few DIY supplies.

A small bottle of vg, a small bottle of nicotine (vg based) and a bottle of pg is all you need plus a 1.00 medicine thingy to measure with. If your really broke you can forgo flavoring for a while - but it beats trying to buy a dripper and drip in the cold... you can use the empty e juice bottles you now have... don't need to make a purchase there right away.

And in the long run, you'll save a ton of money.

Them people your buying your juice from, are thinning it out with water. Yes, it's a thing.

PS. If this hurts financially I'll give you a recipe for soupbeans and cornbread. A good pot of that costs about 4 dollars and will feed a man for a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread