I have become one of "those" self righteous quitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
And I hate it. I try to keep it to my self as best as I can, but cig smoke really really bothers me. Even outside. Oh and heaven forbid is someone is outside my house smoking. It get sucked into my swamp cooler and fills the whole freakin house. I tell as many people as I can about ecigs. And I have converts. But there are still those that resist. I know they have to want to change blah blah blah... but some of them swear that they do. One such person I even loaned some of our cig stuff. 2 different types of ecigs. And we bought him an e juice in menthol (his favorite cig flavor). PLUS he said that he has successfully quit on an ecig before (for 3 months), but they don't have that brand anymore and he tried the other "in store" cartridge types and he didn't like them. So even with all the stuff to do it, and the desire to make the switch, he is still smoking. And making super lame excuses. Like I am waiting on nicotine lozenges to come. :rolleyes: So anyway... I am shaming myself for becoming a self righteous quitter. At least I am not super annoying with it. I hope...

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
It doesn't bother me quite that much, although I have found that I really don't like cig smoke anymore. I try to remember that it took me 8 months of, "yeah I'm gonna quit, I'm gonna really try that ecig again", so I'm not so hard on smokers who repeat that sort of rhetoric. Whenever I'm out and about, and see someone smoking cigs, I say to myself (or to whoever's with me), "look at that poor sap still smoking cigarettes", and I puff on my PV in self righteousness - so don't feel so bad. That said, If I have the opportunity to stop and show someone my PV, I do. Stranger, or not. Just to keep the balance of my self righteousness, and ecig-gratitude in check. :)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Man Mariah... are you ever "super annoying".

:laugh:

Seriously... I don't work to hard at converting, other than family and close friends. When I place an order, I ask for extra business cards from my preferred vendors... and I just hand them out to people who show an interest in my vaping rig. After that, unless they ask more questions, I make a point of leaving them alone.

I've smoked for over 40 years and every time I've tried to quit... I was the only one that could say, "it's time to quit". Thankfully, vaping has been the easiest time I've ever had of it. I don't even think about butts anymore.

Cheers,
C

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
My GF still smokes. I let her smoke in my car too. I try not to say anything.

I'm one of those...reformed smokers...and I hate tobacco smoke now more than ever. Stale smoke was always meh. But now...wow.

I just tell myself "that was you for 30 years, so chill."

She's pretty cool about it too. She knows. She even vaped in the car instead of smoking during long vacation trips and such.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
You aren't the only one. I can remember not so many years ago, swearing that even if I did quit, I'd never hassle anyone else about smoking or push them to quit. Who was I kidding? Put the cancer stick down, get it out of my range of smell, go take a shower, get some clean clothes and, come back when you don't smell worse that the top side of a diesel truck with a blown turbo.

When my step son first moved in with us, he smoked - I made him stay standing while I did a load of his laundry, then had him take a bath and put on clean clothes before I let him sit on my couch. Yept I have become one of THOSE ex smokers.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
It's tough isn't it. I try not to preach or be hypocritical. I remember how much I loved smoking but now I can't take the smell but I try & suck it up. When I'm outside with my smoking friends I try to stay out of the direction of the wind. Then I'm smelling my hair when I get back inside. And then if it gets in my clothes :grr::grr::grr: I now see how my nonsmoking friends felt when they tolerated my smoking & just sat there quietly.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You aren't the only one. I can remember not so many years ago, swearing that even if I did quit, I'd never hassle anyone else about smoking or push them to quit. Who was I kidding? Put the cancer stick down, get it out of my range of smell, go take a shower, get some clean clothes and, come back when you don't smell worse that the top side of a diesel truck with a blown turbo.

When my step son first moved in with us, he smoked - I made him stay standing while I did a load of his laundry, then had him take a bath and put on clean clothes before I let him sit on my couch. Yept I have become one of THOSE ex smokers.
Did it work? (Did he move back out?) :p

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I never realized how bad it stunk until I quit. When the smokers come in from break we can smell it all down the hallway. When I first started vaping I would go out to our designated smoking area but my clothes reeked all day. All I could think was, "Did I smell like that?"

I'm not preachy (although I'll try to bring up the subject if I hear a good segue) but for the most part I just avoid them now. I kind of miss being in "the club" but hey, I have a new club.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
My GF still smokes. I let her smoke in my car too. I try not to say anything.

I'm one of those...reformed smokers...and I hate tobacco smoke now more than ever. Stale smoke was always meh. But now...wow.

I just tell myself "that was you for 30 years, so chill."

She's pretty cool about it too. She knows. She even vaped in the car instead of smoking during long vacation trips and such.

Exact same situation here to, so I'm good with it. But I do find it almost repulsive now to pass by a smoking area.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Did it work? (Did he move back out?) :p

No but he bought an ego kit locally to get by on until he gets a paycheck in and can get a Provari.

Now he gripes at his fiance because she smokes and, stinks.

As for restraining my opinion of stink stick, well that just isn't me. If you smoke, you smell bad to me, I don't want that smell in my house or car and, I will tell you so. That's me, take it or leave it - no skin off my nose.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I am trying really hard to not turn into an anti smoking Nazi. But I too am one of those people where everything about smoking got real gross, real fast when I started vaping. As a 30 year smoker who tried quitting a bazillion times with "conventional" methods I sure as hell didn't see that coming.

I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Not because I fear it will make me want a cigarette - quite the opposite. Within two weeks of quitting just walking behind someone smoking, outdoors, was enough to make me nauseous. I can smell it if there is a lawn mowing dude smoking within a three house radius of my place. When I sat down next to someone on a bus who was obviously a smoker, the stale smoke stench coming off her obviously hasn't been washed in five years jacket, purse, jeans, hair and eyeglasses was enough to make me change seats or I was gonna yark.

As an ex-smoker so far I be nice. But I can't stop feeling the urge to get one these:

super-soaker-50.jpg

If I feel compelled to use it I promise to hand out an ECF business card once the deed is done.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Ciggy smoke stinks, but I don't let it get to me to the extent that I get ticked off at the smokers. I'm a very live and let live kind of guy, though. I just think "that was me not long ago". I'm glad that I can now appreciate how much I must've stunk whenever walking into a meeting with a non-smoking prospective new client, and I'm glad that's no longer the case.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville

Classic! I did this to my husband a couple of times after he was at the inlaws. I think he even smoked a cig over there... Grrrrrr... we both quit. Every now and then he has one too many drinks and bums one. Then he gets sick and sticks so freakin bad.

It's tough isn't it. I try not to preach or be hypocritical. I remember how much I loved smoking but now I can't take the smell but I try & suck it up. When I'm outside with my smoking friends I try to stay out of the direction of the wind. Then I'm smelling my hair when I get back inside. And then if it gets in my clothes :grr::grr::grr: I now see how my nonsmoking friends felt when they tolerated my smoking & just sat there quietly.

I too am super embarrassed to think that was once me. I don't like thinking about it. Now I know why they would make comments.

I never realized how bad it stunk until I quit. When the smokers come in from break we can smell it all down the hallway. When I first started vaping I would go out to our designated smoking area but my clothes reeked all day. All I could think was, "Did I smell like that?"

I'm not preachy (although I'll try to bring up the subject if I hear a good segue) but for the most part I just avoid them now. I kind of miss being in "the club" but hey, I have a new club.

I knew somewhat. And only because of returns at Ross. I worked in CS and sometimes we would get a return from an inside the house chain-smoker. I was a smoker and I could hardly stand the smell. The clothes were ruined of course, but we always did the return anyway. When I quit it became pretty obvious that I smelled like the to non-smokers. That thought still kills me.

I am trying really hard to not turn into an anti smoking Nazi. But I too am one of those people where everything about smoking got real gross, real fast when I started vaping. As a 30 year smoker who tried quitting a bazillion times with "conventional" methods I sure as hell didn't see that coming.

I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Not because I fear it will make me want a cigarette - quite the opposite. Within two weeks of quitting just walking behind someone smoking, outdoors, was enough to make me nauseous. I can smell it if there is a lawn mowing dude smoking within a three house radius of my place. When I sat down next to someone on a bus who was obviously a smoker, the stale smoke stench coming off her obviously hasn't been washed in five years jacket, purse, jeans, hair and eyeglasses was enough to make me change seats or I was gonna yark.

As an ex-smoker so far I be nice. But I can't stop feeling the urge to get one these:

super-soaker-50.jpg

If I feel compelled to use it I promise to hand out an ECF business card once the deed is done.

Exactly. lol

Ciggy smoke stinks, but I don't let it get to me to the extent that I get ticked off at the smokers. I'm a very live and let live kind of guy, though. I just think "that was me not long ago". I'm glad that I can now appreciate how much I must've stunk whenever walking into a meeting with a non-smoking prospective new client, and I'm glad that's no longer the case.

I have always been the live and let live type. Cig smoke just makes me super ill now. I just can't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread