Something I find interesting with my ecig n our dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaLynn

ECF Veteran
Too funny, my dog is the exact same way. He would curl his lip up and bare his teeth anytime I even took out my pack of smokes. I didn't have to actually smoke them, he hated even the pack. When I first started my e-cig, he did the same thing, gave me a weird look, then came over and actually sniffed the vapour. Nothing. Too funny.

figg

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Southeast
I have a cat that sit on the arm of the couch beside me and when I am vaping will actually stick his head over and breathe in the vapor. He does most often if I have Butterscotch or another sweet flavor. It is hilarious to watch. I think he really enjoys it.
I try to keep him away cause I don't know if it will have an reaction to him or not. Better safe than sorry.

borjis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
Very interesting post!

I was thinking about this for awhile too.

Normally my cat would get as far away from me as possible when I lit up, yet the E-Cig didn't bother him at all. A few times I have blown a full cloud of vapor right into his face.....he looks at me as if to say "Was that supposed to do something?"

It's very telling that an animal that knows and will run from toxic smoke does not avoid pg vapor.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My dog would usually get up and leave my side if I lit up a cigarette, although she had no problem going out onto the porch or poolside with me when I went out there to do the same. I think it was more the smell in the enclosed space that she had a problem with. The cats would often make a nasty face when they encountered smoke as well.

Of course, the dog never had a problem with getting too close to the grill either (charcoal and hardwood chips)- she's always trying to get in there to catch a whiff of whatever is cooking (or get dibs on a dropped burger).

RedRamen

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Banning CA
I find this totally interesting and thought I would share. I have been living with 3 Siberian Huskies for a long while now, and used to step outside to smoke. No smoking allowed in the house! Not even in the bathroom with window open Which is the only place I ever use to smoke in my house.

I will never forget hanging at the pool with the Pups and lighting up my first smoke here. Duke went nuts and about fell in the pool trying to get away from it. He looked at me like I was insane! He hide behind a lounge chair and would not come out, until the cig was smashed. Which I was then told he does this to everyone who smokes outside. I thought this was so very odd and never seen an animal react that way.

Anyhoo, Our Senior girl bless her almost 13 y/o self! and 2 y/o baby rescue girl would go right outside with me. Stand by me walk with me, no problem. I would often make sure smoke wasn't going in their face. I have always been big on keeping second hand smoke away from non smokers, children and animals. If I had no pack in hand well, Duke our 7 y/o boy would go out with us. If I had a pack or cig in hand omg, he would hide and or run away from me. If we took the 3 for a walk and I pulled out a cig and lighter, he would try to jerk off the leash to get away. It was like he knew it was bad and or hated the smell. Who knows exactly, but I have never in my life seen a dog, that so hated cigarettes so much. By the way he has been in the family since 7 weeks old and never ever abused.

So I get the ecigs a month ago now Start vaping and notice at first he is skeptical of what the heck I am doing? Why I am in the house? Why it has a light? He just stares at me from a far. Well now he sits next to me on the couch while vaping Will go outside with me vaping and has no issues what so ever with my ecig. It's awesome! Thought I would share as I think it's awesome!!!!!!

How do your pet's react to your ecigs? Have any of them ever been scared of your cigarettes or ecigs?

P.S I think I put in wrong section, if so please move. TY

My dog only truly hates a few things (shes a Pembroke Welsh Corgi), and that list includes... Hats, any form of plastic bag, the door bell, and e-cigs haha. Every time she sees that light, she goes insane.

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
I quit vaping around JD cause I noticed he started going through alot more water. Seems like he was drinking all the time. Since I quit vaping around him he's back to normal.

yeah, I vape with my dog around but not close to me. If the vapor goes his way I try and wave it away :)

I don't wanna force anything on my baby boy.

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
My dobie used to hate the smoke, she would just look at me and run away, like I just said something offensive.

She react differently with the vaping. She watches the vapor come out (I try and blow smoke rings or something that will hang) eventually she cocks her head to the side and tries to bite the smoke rings.

It's pretty cute.

Skully7780

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
hartford, ct
That dog can smell the pack of cigarettes IN YOUR POCKET, never mind taking it out of the pocket which makes it smell 10 times more, then you light it which makes it smell 100x more. Dogs smell is -very- acute. It was explained to me that when you order a cheeseburger you smell a cheeseburger. A dog smells the bun, lettuce, onion, tomato, ketchup and the works all seperatly.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have have always had at least one pet, and none of them ever reacted to smoking. I guess they were all smart enough to accept it as a fact of life. The cats would make a funny face if they jumped up on me just as I was exhaling and smoke got in their faces, but who wouldn't? My dad used to roll up his empty packs into a ball an throw them for the cats to chase.

This thread does remind me of a funny story. I had a rat when I was a kid, about twelve or thirteen, or so. Rats are very smart and a lot of fun. Nikki used to be with me all the time. I kept her cage open and she would go back into it when she felt like it, and for the most pat, she had the run of the house. She was always in my pocket, or on my shoulder, or playing very close to where I happened to be. If she found anything she wanted to keep - a cookie, jewelry, piece of paper, etc. she would put it in my pocket for safekeeping and then go back to her playing. I found some interesting things in my pockets when I hadn't been paying atttention.

One time I fell asleep on the sofa; Nikki discovered a pack of my grandmother's cigarettes on the coffee table. Something in her little rat brain said that a cigarette was something cool and worth having. She slid one out of the pack, carried it across my sleeping body, and put it in my pocket. She did this several times.

I woke up and wandered into the kitchen. My mom and grandma about lost their minds when they saw a bunch of cigarettes sticking out of my pocket! They wanted to know why I was smoking, where I got them, etc! You can imagine their reaction when I told them that I didn't smoke, and I had no idea how cigarettes got in my pocket. I got the whole lecture on how smoking was bad for you and something only adults do if they are stupid enough to start, yada, yada, yada.

A little while later, I was redeemed. We were all sitting in the living room and we watched Nikki, bold as can be, hop onto the coffee table, grab a cigarette, hop back over to me, put it in my pocket, and head back to the table for another one. My mom and grandama were a little abashed. They appologized to me. After that, Grandma kept her cigarettes in her purse.

Over thirty years later, we still laugh about that story.

~A

Rainbowz

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Oregon, USA
So I have a dog story. We used to smoke in the garage with the regular door open to the outside (not the big garage door). Our dog would not eat unless we were out there with her, and we were out there smoking, of course.

Now that we don't smoke in the garage, we cannot get our dog to eat unless one of us sits out there!!! Even though we are not smoking, lol. We will have to work on a solution to that.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
Although I don't have a dog, my cat would go nuts if I wanted to go outside to smoke (she's a indoor cat, I don't want her outside given the neighborhood we're in, though I will take her out with me if I smoke) so I would wait for her to climb up to my shoulders and let her outside with me. She seemed a bit offended by the smell of smoke but she didn't run from it. (I wasn't the meany to blow it in her face so don't think I'm mean guys lol)

When I started vaping, she would stare at the light like crazy sometimes tries to paw it and she sits right next to me.

CSI

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
We have three Prarie Dogs here, along with a couple of dogs, 3 horses, 2 stray cats, and a Bearded Dragon lizard. Can you tell my wife loves animals?
I was the only smoker in the family, so I was the one always getting up to go outside. I know our kids didn't care for me smoking, same with my wife, but she just let me be. I would try not to make it obvious everytime I went outside, just my stupid way of "hiding" it from the kids. (they are now out of the house...one just graduated college, the other is a Junior in college).
Anyway........those darn Prarie Dogs would give me away. Seems they always get excited and greet whoever comes and goes. They could tell when I went outside and returned, even from the other side of the house! They would always shout out their greeting call.....full blast...WEEEE OWWWWWWW. One starts, then they all chime in. They are really fun to watch when they do this...they stand full straight up, front arms up in the air, and let rip. Looks like a Wave going on around a football stadium.
I guess the ecig has "saved" me. Since I don't go out anymore, the PD's don't give me away. They are better than smoke alarms!
Really fun exotic pets to have....absolutely love humans. They will not leave you alone when out of the cage. They each have their favorite spot to be scratched, usually on the belly. Go figure?
Ken

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Are you calling our pets stupid?

=[

Huh? No. It's just a turn of phrase, must not be a common one Sorry if my wording made it sound that way. I think most animals are smarter than most people - at least when it comes to common sense.

~A

Ov3rDoSe

Jan 20, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got almost the opposite problem as the original poster!! My dog, an Airedale Terrier, never reacted in any way to real cigs. Could have them while I pet her on the step outside and she'd be none the wiser. But with the ecig, which I smoke indoors all the time, whenever she's around she'll give me that ....-head look and get on edge. If I even try and approach her with it she backs right off and wont let me get close. It's gotta just be the sight of all the smoke right? Cause there's no smell and virtually no sound off the thing (510) So either way, my dog certainly doesn't hate vaping, just can't understand what it is =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread