Not open for further replies.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I went to a bar yesterday and was having a few beers. I'm somewhat of a regular in there so most of the people have already asked their questions and know what I'm doing and they really don't care. Some of them smoke and I don't care what they are doing either.

So yesterday afternoon, some guy comes in and he's asking me about my vaping and so on. Then he launches into how he quit 8 years ago, how it was the best thing he ever did, he quit cold turkey blah, blah...and then he says to me "You can quit too you know, you can do anything you set your mind to doing, I did it and so can you". I said well "thanks for the lecture there but I'm not one iota interested in quitting this, I enjoy it". His eyes went all huge.

Then he proceeds to tell me "do you know how bad nicotine is for you, are you ok with getting cancer" etc. At this point I said I was well informed about the risk of nicotine, that by itself it isn't a carcinogen and so on. And he keeps asking me WHY don't I want to quit. And so then I asked him why he was having a Budweiser. He rolled his eyes and I said yeah well you probably enjoy budweiser and i enjoy this.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I feel you completely and Ive had similar talks with random people. Some people see tobacco or drug/alcohol use as a tick on a checklist. They see quitting using these things the same way they see cutting down on red meat & starting an exercise schedule. Some of them think everyone sees smoking or drinking the same way and they think anyone still smoking at 30+ must just be having problems quitting. Pair that mentality with someone that doesn't understand that vaping is healthier than smoking tobacco and you get your new bar friend. :p

jp_cfc09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
lost
Budweiser is rats piss lol, I love that beer and could name ten other beers that teaste like piss more but got to agree it really does blow your head off lol. 7 or 8 pints and your deffo not up for work the next day lol. I think the fellow in the bar just didnt understand why you like it so much as he only sees vapeing as a stopping aid like gum extra which you wouldnt keep chewing once unhooked from analogs as they are rank. maybe if he tried vapeing to stop smokeing then he would of understood, should of told him that these ecigs are not stated as a smokeing aid but something less harmful then analogs to get your nic fix and many do use it to help stop but its not the only reason people use it. doubt he would of cared or listened really as its hard to change someones mind lol. :):):)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I just say "congratulations, I'm glad it worked for you" when someone starts in with the cold turkey stuff.

As for me I was never successful at quitting for one simple reason, I never wanted to quit. Eventually I reached the point where I had no choice .. I needed to quit. I thank God every day that I found an alternative that allowed me to quit smoking.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    I went to a bar yesterday and was having a few beers. I'm somewhat of a regular in there so most of the people have already asked their questions and know what I'm doing and they really don't care. Some of them smoke and I don't care what they are doing either.

So yesterday afternoon, some guy comes in and he's asking me about my vaping and so on. Then he launches into how he quit 8 years ago, how it was the best thing he ever did, he quit cold turkey blah, blah...and then he says to me "You can quit too you know, you can do anything you set your mind to doing, I did it and so can you". I said well "thanks for the lecture there but I'm not one iota interested in quitting this, I enjoy it". His eyes went all huge.

Then he proceeds to tell me "do you know how bad nicotine is for you, are you ok with getting cancer" etc. At this point I said I was well informed about the risk of nicotine, that by itself it isn't a carcinogen and so on. And he keeps asking me WHY don't I want to quit. And so then I asked him why he was having a Budweiser. He rolled his eyes and I said yeah well you probably enjoy budweiser and i enjoy this.

those "quit snob" type of people are interesting. they went through the agony of quitting without looking into vaping. its admirable that they have quit. i cant take that away from them. and while vaping is likely harmless, there are chromium scares, acrolein scares, and other concerns like faulty batteries, etc. so they are avoiding all that. but in the end, to me- a quitter is likely jealous and bitter that they had to go through all the agony of quitting without using a safe, effective, and utterly satisfying aid. so they try to bash it- either out of ignorance or just flat-out jealousy.

Unfettered

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 5, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so tired of complete strangers acting like I care one iota what they think. Once while I was a server, I snuck outside during a lull to grab a quick smoke. Some random guy walks past and says "You're beautiful, but you'd be so much prettier if you didn't smoke."

Uh....well, let me just say it would take a whole lot more than not smoking for this guy to be in the same universe as the same ballpark as attractive. I SO wanted to say "Smoker or not, you still wouldn't have a shot." Alas, I was standing right outside my job in full uniform so I held my tongue.

It's an unfortunate epidemic, people thinking they know what's best for you. From Joe Blow to the asshats in government. Everybody thinks they can run your life better than you. Sounds like you handled it alright. :)

swoody

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2011
    Chicago, USA
    Luckily I have a co-worker who is one of those "I quit cold turkey, you should too." types. The topic comes up about once a month. I - like others here - never had the true desire to quit. I might get motivated for a day, but once that pure motivation wears off about 12 hours later, I'd be on my way to go buy another pack of analogs.

I loved cigarettes, they went great with coffee, they went great with beer. There was nothing like going for a good smoke break during a tough shift at work. However, now that I'm a vaper, cigarettes taste like crap. I enjoy a good Maple Tobacco with a cup of coffee much more than those smelly analogs. My morning "cigarette" is now Banana Nut Bread or Espresso. When my sweet tooth kicks in, I can satisfy it with some Malty Toffee or one of a thousand other dessert vapes. Being a vaper now, I have no desire to go back to analogs, and with the cost being so reasonable compared to how much I wasted on tobacco, I don't see much of a rush to give up vaping.

Woody

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Uranus
    LOL at your bar story. Ex smokers are the biggest .......S regarding other people smoking. More than any person that never smoked. I agree with you about not wanting to quit doing "this form of smoking"........ I actually still enjoyed some aspects of smoking but the bad points that I could not tolerate anymore {stench, stink and smell} were what motivated me to make the switch. Vaping is MUCH better!
    :):vapor::toast:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2013
    Orbiting Sirius B
    Never forget that ANTZ and public health propaganda has made it socially acceptable for anyone to publicly criticize smokers (and now vapers), be they friends, family, or strangers. Can you imagine if Unfettered's random guy had said something like "You're beautiful, but you'd be so much prettier if you lost 10 pounds," or "You're beautiful, but you'd be so much prettier if you didn't wear slacks"? Do you think they'd think they had a right to make such a comment?

I'm starting to think we vapers (and smokers) are being *much* too polite in our responses to these rude, intrusive, out-of-line people (not on the topic of vaping but on the topic of being rude, intrusive, etc. in general).

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    I'm so tired of complete strangers acting like I care one iota what they think. Once while I was a server, I snuck outside during a lull to grab a quick smoke. Some random guy walks past and says "You're beautiful, but you'd be so much prettier if you didn't smoke."

Uh....well, let me just say it would take a whole lot more than not smoking for this guy to be in the same universe as the same ballpark as attractive. I SO wanted to say "Smoker or not, you still wouldn't have a shot." Alas, I was standing right outside my job in full uniform so I held my tongue.

It's an unfortunate epidemic, people thinking they know what's best for you. From Joe Blow to the asshats in government. Everybody thinks they can run your life better than you. Sounds like you handled it alright. :)

Oh god, I've gotten that before!!! I also get "you're prettier when you smile"... I just recently got that from my female boss! No quicker way to make me sneer!!

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lancaster, Pa

You both started out good (common ground being that you're ex-smokers), then difference of opinion fine, good move with the budweiser comment, btw. Dunno why he kept laying into you since it seems like he's demonstrating his lack of understanding about vaping.

Which makes sense if he quit 8 years ago. Anyone know when vaping nic juices came about exactly? My guess is, he wanted you to break the crutch to nic that he did 8 years ago (who wouldn't).

The way you describe it, I'm just glad this exchange didn't go past words, ya know. You can't put out every fire but it was cool of you to share it with us on ECF.

RHP

Last edited:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Budweiser is rats piss lol, I love that beer and could name ten other beers that teaste like piss more but got to agree it really does blow your head off lol. 7 or 8 pints and your deffo not up for work the next day lol. I think the fellow in the bar just didnt understand why you like it so much as he only sees vapeing as a stopping aid like gum extra which you wouldnt keep chewing once unhooked from analogs as they are rank. maybe if he tried vapeing to stop smokeing then he would of understood, should of told him that these ecigs are not stated as a smokeing aid but something less harmful then analogs to get your nic fix and many do use it to help stop but its not the only reason people use it. doubt he would of cared or listened really as its hard to change someones mind lol. :):):)

of course it's rat urine...i'd rather give birth to a flaming porcupine than drink anything made by Anheuser Busch..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread