Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
First attempt was a horrible mess, but on my second try I managed to get a good run over 8 1/2" long:

ea0RtS7.jpg

ID9C96q.jpg

It's 26/30ga Kanthal, since that's all I had available (or 26/28 SS but I wanted the thinner outer wrap, and since it's my first shot at Claptons I figured I wanted to use the same wire type for both.) Should be enough to make a coil, at least. I'm not gonna do any more at the moment because I'm actually borrowing the drill from a friend, for a specific project, and they didn't bring me any extra batteries or the charging station for it, so I don't wanna run the battery out before I use it for what I need it for. Once the new A/C is put in, I'll see if I can do some more before the drill conks out.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Doing some Spring cleaning, I came across the battery charger for my old camera battery. And I remembered, there was a time when cameras were an actual thing, they weren't just built-in to our television sets and toaster ovens and the little supercomputers we carry around in our pockets that for some reason we still call a "phone". So while I had the camera that's just a camera out to check on the state of its battery, I decided I'd snap a couple of pics in GLORIOUS(ish) HI-DEF (or at least, with a better lens):

ePrkake.jpg

zpsLoO2.jpg

mL4rG3v.jpg

qroTBPA.jpg

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Doing some Spring cleaning, I came across the battery charger for my old camera battery. And I remembered, there was a time when cameras were an actual thing, they weren't just built-in to our television sets and toaster ovens and the little supercomputers we carry around in our pockets that for some reason we still call a "phone". So while I had the camera that's just a camera out to check on the state of its battery, I decided I'd snap a couple of pics in GLORIOUS(ish) HI-DEF:

ePrkake.jpg

zpsLoO2.jpg

mL4rG3v.jpg

qroTBPA.jpg

Great Looking Coil bwh79.

Way to Go!

Reactions: Eskie

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks, now I just need to put it in something. I got a single-coil RDA coming in the mail soon but if I get impatient, I might see if it'll fit in my STM if I pull a few wraps off it.

That Coil might be a Tight Fit in a STM.

And it is Way Too Perfect to start pulling wraps off it.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
That Coil might be a Tight Fit in a STM.

And it is Way Too Perfect to start pulling wraps off it.
My Wasp Nano RDA got here yesterday. 3.5 was too wide, I cinched it down to 3mm and then 12 wraps was too long, so I pulled off two and ended up with this:

10-wrap 3mm 26/30ga Kanthal, 1.6 ohms:
rqLLg8n.jpg

...and I like it! Sure enough, I killed the drill's battery right as I was finishing the job I borrowed it for so I can't make any more right now. I wonder how many feet of clapton wire I'd need to buy before I could justify just getting a drill instead, to continue making my own...

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My Wasp Nano RDA got here yesterday. 3.5 was too wide, I cinched it down to 3mm and then 12 wraps was too long, so I pulled off two and ended up with this:

10-wrap 3mm 26/30ga Kanthal, 1.6 ohms:
rqLLg8n.jpg

...and I like it! Sure enough, I killed the drill's battery right as I was finishing the job I borrowed it for so I can't make any more right now. I wonder how many feet of clapton wire I'd need to buy before I could justify just getting a drill instead, to continue making my own...

Looks Great.

Yeah... Doing something like making Clapton Wire with a Cordless Drill is kinda a PITA. That's where a good old fashion Corded Drill comes in handy.

Even if it is an El Cheap-O brand like this...

3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill

Reactions: bwh79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread