I need advice for Carto use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyPickle

Feb 23, 2013
United States
I recently switched from bcc & top wick clearos to cartos (thank God cuz I almost gave up on all if it after a year of messing around with clearos) & I have a question.
I use smok 1.5ohm, 1 or 2 hole in my SMOK DCT tank with e-liquid at 50/50 & 30/70 mix.
About 2x/day I have to suck liquid up in to it to keep it moist...Am I doing something wrong?

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Are you buying pre-punched cartos? I have found that when i punch my own with a carto punch like this one i can punch larger or smaller holes depending on my needs. Carto-Punch-7.95.jpg

EL Pistoffo

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
S. FL
Are you buying pre-punched cartos? I have found that when i punch my own with a carto punch like this one i can punch larger or smaller holes depending on my needs. View attachment 276103

I was about to suggest the same. If your cartos are already pre-punched you could add a 2nd hole with a puncher. That might help.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I buy pre-punched. 1-2 holes. I prefer 2 but if they are out of stock I buy 1 hole. I use 33% VG when ordering from MisterELiquid & VaporBeast but recently have been ordering from Mt Baker Vapor 50/50.
I guess I will order a puncher & start ordering thinner juice.

I think it was baditude's review that said for high vg 3 hole cartos worked better for him

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
There's a phenomena with carto tanks known as pressure. Negative pressure causes dry hits while positive pressure causes flooding. Try releasing pressure by pulling carto out slightly to allow air in to equalize pressure in the tank. There are carto tanks available with a side screw which makes it easy to fill and/ or to equalize the pressure. I use 50/ 50 to 80/ 20 PG/ VG and punch 1 hole X 2.5 mm in my cartos.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
It could be that that your carto does not have enough punched area for the thickness of your juice or that the o-rings on the tanks do not seal tight enough. I love Smok cartos but don't like their carto tanks.

I punch my own cartos. The Siam Mods V2 is a nice carto punch tool. Watch the video:V2 Cartomizer Punch - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

IBTanked. Quality tanks at a reasonable price.
IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I recently switched from bcc & top wick clearos to cartos (thank God cuz I almost gave up on all if it after a year of messing around with clearos) & I have a question.
I use SMOK 1.5ohm, 1 or 2 hole in my SMOK DCT tank with e-liquid at 50/50 & 30/70 mix.
About 2x/day I have to suck liquid up in to it to keep it moist...Am I doing something wrong?

I always punch my own cartos, with a puncher much like the one already posted. You can buy stainless steel cartos (non pre-punched) and save a lot of money doing it yourself. I vape a high vg liquid and never have had a problem with wicking when I do my own punching. Those prepunched cartos holes are just too small for thicker ejuice.
You can buy the non-punched cartos for around 5.00 for a pack of 5 making them a dollar apiece. Much cheaper than the pre-punched ones.

:)

edit

yzer---you beat me to it. You must type quicker. LOL

fleur_de_lis-in-FL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Central FL
I use SMOK 1.5ohm, 1 or 2 hole in my SMOK DCT tank with e-liquid at 50/50 & 30/70 mix.

I had a similar problem with my Smok Tank. I put it aside for awhile, but I am now waiting on an Ibtanked tank and an Ikenvape take and cartos. hoping to have better luck this time.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I use the same ratios, but I get smoktech 3 ohm 3-hole cartomizers from smoktek.com

I've tried all the popular brands, and I've stuck with smoktechs. They work best for me. Instead of taking dry pulls, I just check to see if I need to top them off with a couple of drops at the beginning or end of the day.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I own and use 5 Smoktech DCTs with 5 different liquids in rotation daily and rarely have any issues at all. My setup, if it helps, Boge xl lr (F16) cartos (they are dual punched and flanged, about $1.25 each from vapelite.info). I run 50/50 to 60/40 juices at 8 watts. Install the cartos using a slap-yo-momma tool (to protect the o-rings). I get about 30ml or so from a carto, changing them up like that. Biggest difference in performance/longevity is your draw. If you are getting dry/burned hits, try drawing lighter or less each time and wait at least 5-10 seconds between draws. Think sipping through a straw. I burn mine out if I chain or lung hit them). Make sure you prime thoroughly and let them sit for 5 minutes after you load a new on into your tanks. Hope this helps, as always, YMMV. Good luck and have fun!

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
Just be warned that punching your own cartos can deform the carto and could possibly cause damage to your tank orings. As they say, practice makes perfect!! I punched a few and with the wingnut type puncher as shown in an earlier post, it is by "feel" when it penetrates the carto and how big you want the hole!! Just a word of caution, I prefer to spend the little extra and get the pre punched or slotted. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread