I thought I quit analogs but then relapsed now, I'm closer to quitting because I found a setup I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedsix

Aug 18, 2013
Indiana
I started with some disposable cigalikes to see what it was about. They were good enough for me to buy a Halo starter kit of G6s and carts. Then I got a Ego T or whatever with the clear plastic tank. They were good enough for me to think I wasn't going back to analogs but they weren't lasting long enough, weren't giving me good flavor or vapor and in general just weren't quite doing the job.

I ordered a Vamo V3 and got some Hawk Sauce (for free with order of other juices) from Mt Baker Vapor. The Hawk sauce, Vamo and Kanger Protank is the first setup that actually works well enough to replace cigarettes for me. I now prefer vaping this to smoking real cigs.

I am am almost afraid to the other 6-7 flavored I got because I found something that is working for me and don't want to screw it up. There are SOOOOOO many combos that don't work for various reasons that it's hard to find anything that is worthwhile.

Still learning but I decided that devices with removable 18650 cells are my cup of tea. I love being able to just pop in another cell when my device goes dead instead of having to put it on a charger and wait.

My my advice for new vapors is to keep with it and keep trying different juices from different vendors. Try different devices and whatever you have to until you find something that you will use enough to replace cigs. There is enough choice out there that there is a combo for everyone. I only tried four devices before I found one that worked well. I only tried maybe 10-12 flavors before I found a really good one. I'm sure there are even better devices and better flavors since I found something fairly quickly.

Im saying this because I was a little frustrated and started buying packs of cigs again. I was starting to go back to smoking more and more because my devices were not providing me enough of what I wanted. Hang in there and spend whatever money it takes. Plopping down $100 on a device might seem expensive but it's less than 20 packs of smokes. That's not even the real point. If vaping helps you quit, it's worth 100 times whatever you spend.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Good advice. Also remember that a lot of mt baker juices need to steep. For me, some of their juices need weeks instead of days. But you're absolutely right. Vaping takes a lot of trial & error. Meanckz also makes a good point. I started with 18mg juice but around week 3 I needed some 24. That small bottle got me through the cravings...but I thought it was odd that I had cravings 2-3 weeks in. Thought it would've been the first week...ok sorry, I digress.

Good for you! So many people give up instead of working through the tough parts of the beginning stage. Hang in there & you'll be fine!!

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
If you are frustrated than you dont get enough nic. Just like quitting cold turkey. You should be frustrated, for a long while. I think finding right juice is important for enjoying but you have to find right amount of nic. first. Just like you were out of cigarettes and your friend offered you his cigarette. You did not like it a bit but got enough nic. Did you frustrated than? No should be sorry but not frustrated. So try to find right nic level first. When you are satisfied you will than go to flavors

Speedsix

Aug 18, 2013
Indiana
hawk sauce... hmm you wouldnt happen to be a previous menthol smoker would you?

Yep. I smoked Marlboro 72s in the blue box.

I guess taste is a very subjective thing. You can get a sort of list of popular juices that other people tend to like but that doesn't mean you will like them. The best you can hope for is finding one or two you like. To be honest, I strongly disliked most of the flavors I tried. I would say I hated 80% of them, 15% were ok and 5% were great. I also liked a few of the Halo juices like Longhorn and a few others but I only had a sampler pack and they are long gone now.

The bad news is, my vaping joy is back to sorrow. All of a sudden my setup I spoke so highly of tastes nasty. Something went wrong. I might have burned the wick or something because now the Hawk sauce that I thought so highly of tastes like a burnt butthole.

Gfinch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2013
Pilot Point, TX
Did you buy extra coils? If not run right out and buy 2 or 3 boxes immediately. They are so right here when they say have a backup for your backup, and backups four your backups backups........ Buy 3 boxes to last you and then start ordering those online as they can be had cheaper at several online vendors. I have a protank 2 and that has added to the enjoyment of my personal Vape. I was also extremely lucky to find something I liked on the first day. That was purely by accident tho as I was buying that for my sister, turns out she doesn't like it but I absolutely love it, Vanilla Caramel. I turned away from the ciggy tasting flavors after the first or second day, I don't personally need the tobacco flavoring as long as I get my nic and something to do with my hands. The oral fixation you know.

Just keep on vaping and you will get thru this. Most of us are creatures of habit and after many years of smoking the habit is deeply ingrained indeed. Don't let minor things detour you back into something that you know is killing you. I think this is the easiest way to quit smoking I have ever tried and I am so happy I found it.

Good luck and good vaping.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Make sure you have backups handy as well. Remember, doo-doo happens. And losing your primary vaping device and not having a backup would be disasterous.

I tend to PIF my backups which makes for a perfect excuse to get another shiny new device. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

kimran73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Make sure you have backups handy as well. Remember, doo-doo happens. And losing your primary vaping device and not having a backup would be disasterous.

I tend to PIF my backups which makes for a perfect excuse to get another shiny new device. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

It's nice to know I'm not the only one buying more stuff with the excuse "it's a backup". I love trying all the different things. I liked the first one I got, eGo CE6 then got a twist and now don't like the other. I have another on the way too. Not to mention trying different methods, cartomizer vs clearomizer. I'll probably eventually try atomizer too lol. I'm having fun trying and I think it's a matter of finding what works for you best. I was ready to quit smoking and had been trying for awhile-like most of us. I was having some health issues that smoking was severely aggravating so when I tried my first look-alike and hated it, I thought I was doomed. I had a friend make recommendations to me and I haven't looked back since. That's not to say it's that easy for everyone. The habit of smoking is so deep in us. I still have moments where I miss the action of taking a cig out of box and putting a flame to it. Thankfully, these moments are few and far between and pass quickly for me. Previous attempts at quitting I missed the oral fixation. With this I get that so my addictive mind had to find another way to trick me to try to go back. Sorry, you lose-I'm vaping for life lol. Good luck though, There's a lot of support on here. I've only been here a short time and have had wonderful responses from everyone. Whatever you're feeling, tell us and let us help you through it and don't feel ashamed if you do have regular cigarettes. You'll find what works best for you eventually. As far as that burnt taste, I was getting that too then learned how to clean and dry burn and it has helped. Change coils if necessary but the burning taste can be fixed so don't give up just yet :)

Kahaluuboy

Mar 7, 2012
Kahaluu
Glad that you stuck to it bro!
I agree that finding what works for you can be kind of a expensive trial and error, and generally spending a little more on better hardware helps ease the frustration.
That being said, for me and my dad, him especially, it was mostly about finding the right flavor of juice. Once you find one that tastes great, it makes the transition so much easier.

Speedsix

Aug 18, 2013
Indiana
I have one extra coil that came with the Kanger Protank. I just ordered a Kanger Protank II. I'll take the advice and order a second Vamo V3 in case something happens to the device itself. Looks like I need to order a couple of boxes of extra coils. I'm going to order Kanger unless there are better ones. Price is not an issue. I am at the point now of being willing to pay anything for something that works.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I found that the Kanger heads never lasted very long for me. I switched to cartomizers and tanks, thanks in large part to Baditude. Never looked back. Once you get the hang of cartos, they last sooooo much longer than the Kanger heads (about 30-40ml), taste better and are just as easy to use. Don't forget that any vaping rig and juice has a learning curve associated with it. Don't give up. It's worth it in so many different ways. If you feel that you really need a cigarette, have one. If you need more nicotine, get stronger juice and vape more often. If you don't like the quality of your vape, experiment. Take the time, learn and enjoy your vape.

SmoKnoMoCigZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
constitution state
as a 40+ year smoker i knew going in it would be hard to quit. i ordered different juices in different nic levels. mostly 18-24 mg but i got some in 36 mg for when i have really bad cravings. i have multiple protanks and plenty of spare coils and keep 36 mg cherry flavor in one tank for the serious cravings. stick with it. hope this helps.

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
I agree with olddog. I have never used a protank,but love the carto tanks. I use the Boge slotted,from sure vapes. I do have a vivi nova and just bought a 2nd,but they can not replace my carto-tanks. I have been off cigs for 2.6 years. I am still a noob when I comes to devices,as I only used the Blu,Egos,Vamo and now the Provari. I have only used the CE4s,vivi novas,and carto tanks. You may want to hold off on another Vamo and save for a Provari. I may have had a lemon,but my Vamo went bad after 2 months,first stripped threads,then connectivity issues. It is finding the right set up and at times can be frustrating. I do the Diy juice from Mt.Baker. I had to up my Nic to 18mg. I smoked 2.5 pks a day,of lights,but found I needed the 18mg. I really hope it works for you. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread