I want bigger clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
These guys will help u out I'm getting there just built my 1st coils with 22 guage 6 wraps 2.6mm dia came out at bang on 0.20 ohms apart from finding out the doge air holes spit hot vg on ya forearms lol works quite well creamed out my downstairs fairly quickly think I will aim a little lower next time would like maybe to try around 0.16ohms to see if I can eak out a bit more but think I deff see improvement moving in the right direction :D

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
695f11117157e2159d31231fec7926e9.jpg

Not an amazing cloud but deff getting better I think :)

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Okay... so... I need to note first that I don't currently have a job, so I can't get a new RDA or anything like that.

I have an authentic black Raijin with a UD Igo W Plus RDA (the last one I bought with my last paycheck to replace my Vulcan, which is being used on my brass Nemesis clone), with the air holes drilled to be a bit bigger. I use VTC4 batteries. I usually build with 24ga Kanthal, although I've been looking at Royal Wire. My normal build tends to be dual 6/5 wrap with the largest screwdriver in this set. I wanna say it's 3mm, but I honestly don't know for sure. My ohms are usually around .32-.38, though I'd like to go lower.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

What's the lowest I could go build-wise, at least in terms of huge clouds, without getting into danger territory, and what should I use to do it?

Oh... and my typical juice is Max VG (70/30 VG/PG) 4 nic.

I use 24g for most of my builds and they are almost always at .21 ohm, which I think is the perfect resistance for a 24g dual coil build. Just use a smaller screwdriver. I usually use 5/64. 6 wraps kanthal or 8 wraps nichrome is .21.

These guys will help u out I'm getting there just built my 1st coils with 22 guage 6 wraps 2.6mm dia came out at bang on 0.20 ohms apart from finding out the doge air holes spit hot vg on ya forearms lol works quite well creamed out my downstairs fairly quickly think I will aim a little lower next time would like maybe to try around 0.16ohms to see if I can eak out a bit more but think I deff see improvement moving in the right direction :D

Oh I've no doubt they will. Though now I wanna move my post to the 2nd page... :D

They'll see it.

I like your set-up, BTW. Never heard of the Doge. I'll need to check that out.

I use 24g for most of my builds and they are almost always at .21 ohm, which I think is the perfect resistance for a 24g dual coil build. Just use a smaller screwdriver. I usually use 5/64. 6 wraps kanthal or 8 wraps nichrome is .21.

Hm. The build I'm currently using was done by a friend. He used Royal Wire. It's a 6-wrap (well, 5-wrap, 6 counting the leads). 24ga. No idea what size screwdriver he used. I do know that the ohm reader had it at .08, and the clouds are pretty nice with a fully charged VTC4, and somehow I'm not getting hot button or hot mod... I would've thought .08 ohms would get pretty hot, but hey. It's working right now.

ETA: And I just realized... I wonder what I could build with my brass Nemesis clone and drilled Vulcan (a nice big hole over each of the V's) for clouds...

It's a 15mm - 22mm copper pipe reducer but I'm going to turn it into a top for a dripper :D

Ooh! Have fun!

I've started researching blueprints and building instructions for mods, because one day I'm going to make a Sonic Screwdriver mech mod (with lights that will measure the charge of the battery and show you... but without regulating the mod itself if at all possible... not a cloud chaser, but a cool thing for Doctor Who fans who also vape... plus I'm very unhappy with all the ones made so far) and then, in the far future, when I have the kind of income that will allow me to invest in the required material, a pure silver mod (including a pure silver RDA, contacts, mouthpiece, and even, if possible, wire). It'll be basic and unflashy, because the goal is clouds... mucho, epic, comp-winning clouds... and the ability to say "look at my silver mod" without spending upwards of $5000.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Hm. The build I'm currently using was done by a friend. He used Royal Wire. It's a 6-wrap (well, 5-wrap, 6 counting the leads). 24ga. No idea what size screwdriver he used. I do know that the ohm reader had it at .08, and the clouds are pretty nice with a fully charged VTC4, and somehow I'm not getting hot button or hot mod... I would've thought .08 ohms would get pretty hot, but hey. It's working right now.

ETA: And I just realized... I wonder what I could build with my brass Nemesis clone and drilled Vulcan (a nice big hole over each of the V's) for clouds...

I'm no expert but my 6/5 wrap 24ga parallel Kanthal build wasn't that low... It was 0.13 ohm. I've never used Royal Wire though. If you have VTC's I'd suggest the 6/5 parallel wraps of 24ga Kanthal around a 1/8" (2 coils, each parallel for 4 pieces of wire total). It's hot and angry and thirsty and blows crazy clouds. It pulls upwards of 30A though so be careful please.

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
Well must say I definitely impressed with the doge it's the dogs danglies and the 4nine mod is pretty sweet too not had a go on the mutation x yet thats a job for tonight so I'll let you know how I get on deff gonna try a wrap less and try and get the resistance down a tad closer to 0.16 ish but on the whole am liking the direction it's all going must say the vapers toolbox app is a massive help in working out current draw and coil specs :)

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Ok, been catching up on some stuff but here's my input:

Lower resistances don't always mean bigger clouds - as far as the safety aspect - let's put it in perspective a bit. According to Ohm's Law - .1 Ohm draws from a battery with a completely fresh charge (example 4.2V) 42 AMPS!. On a battery that's still in good shape (3.7V) - 37 AMPS. In technical terms - you would be exceeding the capabilities of the Sony VTC4's - IF - the battery were in a constant drain. Example of constant drain - pushing the fire button in the excess of 60 seconds I believe to be considered CONSTANT DRAIN. Those batteries were NOT intended to be drained PAST 30 AMPS. They're rated for 30 AMPS - DON'T PUSH THEM PAST IT! I know, I know "But Weaver, the batteries are rated for 60 AMPS 'PULSE DISCHARGE'!" Again - I can read spec sheets all day - your safest bet don't push the limits. So on a freshly charged VTC4 (using the WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO of 4.2V) the safest resistance to built at IMO - is ABOVE .1 Ohm. ABOVE. Not BELOW, ABOVE. So shoot anywhere from .12 and higher for safety reasons. .15 will get you out of the danger zone altogether.

Now with all that being said - clouds. I love them, you love them, we all love them. Keep in mind - it takes some time to perfect the perfect build for the perfect clouds - and the perfect air -> coil -> wick -> juice ratio. IMO the larger the airflow, the better off you'll be, especially when taking on some of the higher VG juices - as far as ChrisBBacon is concerned - keep playing around with it dude, you'll eventually get it down. Remember, practice takes perfect - heres a picture of my most recent builds, resistances, etc. Don't mind the mess -

IMG_0002[1].jpg
MutationX - 8 Wrap - 4x Micro Coil - 24 AWG - Rayon Build

IMG_0003[1].jpg
Resistance Check - .17 Ohms

IMG_0004[1].jpg
Resistance Check - .13 Ohms

IMG_0007[1].jpg
Doge - 6 Wrap - 2x Micro Coil - 20 AWG - Rayon Build

As you can tell, I keep away from the .10 mark, and I do so for safety reasons. The MutationX is built for flavor - not so much clouds. Plus I usually ONLY run quads on my IPV3. For battery life reasons. And it's good. As far as the Doge is concerned - it will fire some clouds and get good flavor with a fully charged battery. That runs on anything and everything. You could always try my rendition of the dragon coil though - I refer to it as the "hornet's nest" - and for good measure. It's dual nano coils, with one end completely covered it cotton, and the other end is open, it chucks some massive clouds. Matter if fact - I'll build the mutant to show what it looks like (a hornet's nest) and post it up here.

Here's the mod I'm so proud of - I put the MutationX on top of it to test it out - the battery is getting weaker - I can feel it:

IMG_0008[1].jpg
And God said "Let there be the Mutant" and there was - and he saw what he had made and behold, it was good.

Last edited:

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
Ok, been catching up on some stuff but here's my input:

Lower resistances don't always mean bigger clouds - as far as the safety aspect - let's put it in perspective a bit. According to Ohm's Law - .1 Ohm draws from a battery with a completely fresh charge (example 4.2V) 42 AMPS!. On a battery that's still in good shape (3.7V) - 37 AMPS. In technical terms - you would be exceeding the capabilities of the Sony VTC4's - IF - the battery were in a constant drain. Example of constant drain - pushing the fire button in the excess of 60 seconds I believe to be considered CONSTANT DRAIN. Those batteries were NOT intended to be drained PAST 30 AMPS. They're rated for 30 AMPS - DON'T PUSH THEM PAST IT! I know, I know "But Weaver, the batteries are rated for 60 AMPS 'PULSE DISCHARGE'!" Again - I can read spec sheets all day - your safest bet don't push the limits. So on a freshly charged VTC4 (using the WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO of 4.2V) the safest resistance to built at IMO - is ABOVE .1 Ohm. ABOVE. Not BELOW, ABOVE. So shoot anywhere from .12 and higher for safety reasons. .15 will get you out of the danger zone altogether.

Now with all that being said - clouds. I love them, you love them, we all love them. Keep in mind - it takes some time to perfect the perfect build for the perfect clouds - and the perfect air -> coil -> wick -> juice ratio. IMO the larger the airflow, the better off you'll be, especially when taking on some of the higher VG juices - as far as ChrisBBacon is concerned - keep playing around with it dude, you'll eventually get it down. Remember, practice takes perfect - heres a picture of my most recent builds, resistances, etc. Don't mind the mess -

View attachment 392899
MutationX - 8 Wrap - 4x Micro Coil - 24 AWG - Rayon Build

View attachment 392900
Resistance Check - .17 Ohms

View attachment 392902
Resistance Check - .13 Ohms

View attachment 392904
Doge - 6 Wrap - 2x Micro Coil - 20 AWG - Rayon Build

As you can tell, I keep away from the .10 mark, and I do so for safety reasons. The MutationX is built for flavor - not so much clouds. Plus I usually ONLY run quads on my IPV3. For battery life reasons. And it's good. As far as the Doge is concerned - it will fire some clouds and get good flavor with a fully charged battery. That runs on anything and everything.
You have been a massive help not forgetting @johndoe1027 and yh did think any build with too many 0s at the start sounded a bit scary going for clouds of vape not clouds of shrapnel lol

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
HAHA yes. Keep what you have for, you know, another setup. I did NOT want to start dripping. I didn't even like my first RBA. I wanted to keep my Kanger tanks. Got my first RDA on 10/9/14 and just completed #3 today. Now I have 3 full setups. 98W, 120W and as of today, 160W. I has the shinyitis too.

I'm new to cloud pics and this doesn't do it justice but had to snap one for a buddy.

View attachment 390536
What sort of vg content build ect were you using for this cloud ment to ask ages ago but forgot caught up in the shiney chasing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread