I want bigger clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
You have been a massive help not forgetting @johndoe1027 and yh did think any build with too many 0s at the start sounded a bit scary going for clouds of vape not clouds of shrapnel lol
Casket is spot on. Stay above 0.15. I got a free build with my MX and it was parallel 24ga @ 0.13 . It was crazy as far as clouds go but it was unsafe in my book. My latest MX build (parallel 26ga @ 0.18) vapes awesomely, uses less juice, spits less, kills batteries slower and won't explode my face. I've learned that more surface area is a good thing but you can go overboard. I tried parallel 24ga @ 0.18 and there wasn't enough wattage to heat up all of that wire. Dropped back to 26ga, one less wrap and WAY MUCH better (at the same resistance). I'll have to check out the vaper's toolbox. I've been using steam engine.

What sort of vg content build ect were you using for this cloud ment to ask ages ago but forgot caught up in the shiney chasing lol

That was a local brick and mortar 80VG juice diluted with some Velvet Cloud (PG free) unflavored base. Juice makes a difference. IIRC the build was MutationXv2 with parallel 28ga 0.44 ohm (at 8.4V). Somewhere around 160 watts.

I'm no expert but my 6/5 wrap 24ga parallel Kanthal build wasn't that low... It was 0.13 ohm. I've never used Royal Wire though. If you have VTC's I'd suggest the 6/5 parallel wraps of 24ga Kanthal around a 1/8" (2 coils, each parallel for 4 pieces of wire total). It's hot and angry and thirsty and blows crazy clouds. It pulls upwards of 30A though so be careful please.

One thing holding me back is that I don't actually know the size of the screwdrivers I have. I use the screwdrivers from this set, and there's no listing of each of the sizes, and I can't tell you the size of a screwdriver at a glance. So when you say "around a 1/8"", I honestly don't really know what that means. Does that link show pics of the screwdrivers, or do I need to take some and upload them here? Or is there a way to measure them?

Also, I've yet to build parallels, mainly because I have no idea if dual 24ga parallels will fit through the center post of the Igo W Plus without drilling it. And I'm absolutely terrible at sleepers (tried twice... first time the coils melted [with pulse heating, not consistent heating], second time I broke the wire as I was building it).

Also, whenever anyone says "be careful, please", I get anxious and want to avoid that thing, because... you know... better safe than sorry. Which is probably a hindrance to my desire for clouds. Maybe I'll get a safety fuse first, then try that out... :D

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
@johndoe1027 - I try to be spot on in my belief - although I go against it from time to time during cloud comps - I still do the research BEFORE I build. In a cloud comp though - I will bend my own beliefs - but after the incident at the Texas Vape meet where the guys mod vented and blew, I tend to be more careful even if it costs me a win. My safety isn't as important to me as the safety of those around me and therefor I've begun building higher than I used to. Even with lower resistance wire (24AWG - 20AWG) I try to get as close to .15 Ohms as possible. Even if I go over, it doesn't affect my experience as much as it used to.

@NateHevens - The best bet for you, if you're unsure of the sizes of the screwdrivers you're using, is to pick up a drill bit kit from your local hardware store. I need to go get some drill bits today. I plan on picking up a basic 18 piece drill bit set, and a new screwdriver set as I finally broke one of my old Stanley screwdrivers. I knew it'd happen eventually, nothing I can do about it now. I guess that's what I get for leaving all my tool kits with my ex. That's a story for another time though.

Anyhow - I got another video coming up of the newest and hottest topic on the shelves at the vape stores at this moment - The Aspire Atlantis. And let me give you my first impressions - 2mL of juice? For real?! You're kidding me right Aspire?!? Not really - already toyed with it - pushed it past it's 2mL capacity - and it still works great. As far as I can tell, it's good. Really good. The flavor is bang on, the clouds it produces out of a clearomizer is - for a lack of better terms - mind blowing, the coils are rated at .5 Ohms, and it's overall a good piece of inexpensive hardware. I think I'm going to keep my eyes on Aspire for awhile and see what they got next on the chopping block. As far as the cloud chasing is concerned - it's still not as good as an RDA, but it's pretty good all around. Since my vape shop doesn't carry the new coil heads for it yet, I'm kind of hesitant to rip one apart and see how it's built. The wire gauge in it appears to be 24AWG. It was easy to pair up a pre-built coil and sit it on top of the coil inside it and see if I could spot a difference in wire diameter and I couldn't spot anything. I'll have the video finished in about an hour or two so just hang in there.

But back to the original topic - cloud chasing - @ChrisBBacon - how are things going on your quest to blow larger clouds? Hopefully going good. Keep moving towards perfection - it will take awhile to reach it, but once you get the art down, you'll never forget what and how you did it. Anyways folks, I need to grab some stuff from the car and get it this shenanigans started. I hope to hear from you guys soon. CW - Out.

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
@johndoe1027 - I try to be spot on in my belief - although I go against it from time to time during cloud comps - I still do the research BEFORE I build. In a cloud comp though - I will bend my own beliefs - but after the incident at the Texas Vape meet where the guys mod vented and blew, I tend to be more careful even if it costs me a win. My safety isn't as important to me as the safety of those around me and therefor I've begun building higher than I used to. Even with lower resistance wire (24AWG - 20AWG) I try to get as close to .15 Ohms as possible. Even if I go over, it doesn't affect my experience as much as it used to.

@NateHevens - The best bet for you, if you're unsure of the sizes of the screwdrivers you're using, is to pick up a drill bit kit from your local hardware store. I need to go get some drill bits today. I plan on picking up a basic 18 piece drill bit set, and a new screwdriver set as I finally broke one of my old Stanley screwdrivers. I knew it'd happen eventually, nothing I can do about it now. I guess that's what I get for leaving all my tool kits with my ex. That's a story for another time though.

Anyhow - I got another video coming up of the newest and hottest topic on the shelves at the vape stores at this moment - The Aspire Atlantis. And let me give you my first impressions - 2mL of juice? For real?! You're kidding me right Aspire?!? Not really - already toyed with it - pushed it past it's 2mL capacity - and it still works great. As far as I can tell, it's good. Really good. The flavor is bang on, the clouds it produces out of a clearomizer is - for a lack of better terms - mind blowing, the coils are rated at .5 Ohms, and it's overall a good piece of inexpensive hardware. I think I'm going to keep my eyes on Aspire for awhile and see what they got next on the chopping block. As far as the cloud chasing is concerned - it's still not as good as an RDA, but it's pretty good all around. Since my vape shop doesn't carry the new coil heads for it yet, I'm kind of hesitant to rip one apart and see how it's built. The wire gauge in it appears to be 24AWG. It was easy to pair up a pre-built coil and sit it on top of the coil inside it and see if I could spot a difference in wire diameter and I couldn't spot anything. I'll have the video finished in about an hour or two so just hang in there.

But back to the original topic - cloud chasing - @ChrisBBacon - how are things going on your quest to blow larger clouds? Hopefully going good. Keep moving towards perfection - it will take awhile to reach it, but once you get the art down, you'll never forget what and how you did it. Anyways folks, I need to grab some stuff from the car and get it this shenanigans started. I hope to hear from you guys soon. CW - Out.
Getting there been fiddle fiddle test fiddle fiddle test sometimes I see an improvement sometimes not but enjoying the process have had a quick look/go on an Atlantis and like you said for an off the shelf tank wow that performs amazing and the drip tip is kinda cool too lol I will try to keep you up to date on progress thanks again for all the help :)

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
Right thought It might help to get a decent drip tip to help me out and this arrived from www.signaturetips.com today
b47d056807a73de96101ec8eaffe85f7.jpg
e1d6e7d6a58832929130a2f88c93e04c.jpg
4317f102f48387c071abee42a244a499.jpg

Awesome now to test some big boreage :D

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay... so... I need to note first that I don't currently have a job, so I can't get a new RDA or anything like that.

I have an authentic black Raijin with a UD Igo W Plus RDA (the last one I bought with my last paycheck to replace my Vulcan, which is being used on my brass Nemesis clone), with the air holes drilled to be a bit bigger. I use VTC4 batteries. I usually build with 24ga Kanthal, although I've been looking at Royal Wire. My normal build tends to be dual 6/5 wrap with the largest screwdriver in this set. I wanna say it's 3mm, but I honestly don't know for sure. My ohms are usually around .32-.38, though I'd like to go lower.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

What's the lowest I could go build-wise, at least in terms of huge clouds, without getting into danger territory, and what should I use to do it?

Oh... and my typical juice is Max VG (70/30 VG/PG) 4 nic.

Care to define 'danger territory'?

In terms of redzone, yellowzone and greenzone, you're definitely not in the green zone.

I'd say you're probably in the orange zone

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
"Danger territory" is a lack of preparation to me. A lack of decent batteries, a lack of experience, or the blatant disregard for safety. Other than that - I don't know how else to explain it.

@ChrisBBacon - you still alive over there dude? I hope so - I hope the Doge is treating you well, the clouds you sought are present, and you're enjoying the knowledge gathered from myself and the other forum goers here at ECF. Just remember - as tempting as it is from time to time - avoid anything that starts off as .0 when building - I've built to those levels before thinking "D00d those clouds are going to be HUGE!" - when in fact what I found out - that regardless of how low I could go - what mattered the most was proper battery, atty, build, airflow, and juice the whole time (BABAJ) or (BAMBAJ) which just tosses the mod in the mix - as some mods will perform better than others - especially if conductivity is something you're worried about. I really couldn't tell the difference until I got my Mutant. And although that mod hits like a leviathan, it's a bit pricey and unnecessary.

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
Yh still alive lol doge is awesome especially with the new tip been looking at the wide bore top bit thingy sorry for the technical description there lol been getting some fairly good clouds with a 0.20 build in the doge and a 0.17 build in the mutation x been using my 4nine mod most of the time although I have used my 26650 stingray a couple of times but it's a bit of a lump lol probably going to rebuild the doge this weekend as I didn't really get a chance last weekend due to my shower blowing up also been giving my m8 at work a stern talking to about battery safety after he told me he was getting a mech and some batteries off his father in law and appeared with some mod I'd never heard of that looked like it was made out of a towel rail and some black and gold ultrafire batteries :s I saw a good line in one of the forums which I quoted as I think it sums it up don't use any batteries with fire in the name (ultrafire, trustfire, surefire) unless you want a fire I hope it sunk in but yh generally having fun with it the doge is awesome the mutation x is pretty sick too need more batteries tho this hobby don't half eat through them lol and I mean constant charging not putting out fires lol

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA

As to the first paragraph, :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Heading over to watch your Atlantis vid now. I've been talking myself out of one since I found out about it. My main excuse is the lack of a regulated mod to put it on. That's the expensive part. (hide and watch, this is where Slippy posts a FT link to a $20 50W mod I didn't know about, even though I looked just last night). :laugh:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Ok have a new build in the doge
fda321bb28764cbf6481686ec9a721f0.jpg
3560653fe50dbcc5a5e5e9d4002b7644.jpg

Been chucking out some much more impressive clouds also been working on my inhale/exhale techniques tried to take some cloud pics but they didn't come out very well :( will try again soon :)

Excellent! I've forgotten which batteries you're using but 0.14 is getting pretty low. Also, that's not a lot of coil surface area IMHO. You gots to try parallel coils. I did my first non-parallel build yesterday (24ga spaced dual coil @0.2 ohm) and it's good but my parallel 26ga at 0.18 SLAUGHTERS it in every way. Both are in MX attys.

If you're not afraid of 0.14 ohm try two 24ga parallel, 1/8" ID, 5.5 wraps. Before you build it though, go buy a new bottle of your favorite juice. You'll want to taste a flavor you like before you DROWN in it! :D

ChrisBBacon

Nov 1, 2014
Kent UK
Cool yh was wondering about surface area they are pretty skinny coils parallels makes perfect sense I haven't got any 24ga but do have some 26ga which may do the job and yh am probably pushing my batteries a bit hard with this build but some Sony vtc4s are in the pipeline and I'll be much happier then think I may be ripping out the build in the mx and having a bash at parallels 0.18 sounds like a target to aim for and easier on the batteries I'll keep ya posted how I get on thanks again dude your help and advise is greatly appreciated :)

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Well, the good news - you're still alive. The better news, so am I. I think? Anyhow - nice parallel setups going on - very nice. As far as function vs tidy - as long as it's not shorted, you should be fine. Gent function down BEFORE attempting to tidy it up. As with all things, practice makes perfect. I don't really measure my resistance anymore because I don't feel the need to. I feel as if I've perfected the functionality already and I just go the extra distance to tidy the stuff up. As far as performance, wire stats, etc. the 24 AWG wire is good - my only gripe about it is the surface area coverage. As I stated before, I use lower gauge wire, PREFERRING 20 over 22, 22 over 24, and 24 over everything else. Granted, it's all capable of being a good vape if you want it to be, I just love lower gauge wire. To prove my theory, do a 6 wrap nano (or super nano) coil of 22 gauge, and then do a 6 wrap of 24 gauge (same coil type of course) - now look at them both - which one covered more surface area again? Obviously the lower gauge wire - maybe not by much, but definitely noticeable. It's when you go from 24 gauge to 20 gauge is when the difference is obvious. I did a build once and I could have sworn up and down - that the 6 wrap - 20 gauge coil I had built was a good bit larger than the 24 gauge parallel. same inner diameter, same wraps, just different wire. Now, I seen those coils you built, surface area was lacking, but play around a bit, I'll tell you a secret - on the Doge - match coil length with air slots. Same thing with MX - angle the the coils to run in-line with the air holes. Then report back on your findings. CW - Out.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Ok have a new build in the doge
fda321bb28764cbf6481686ec9a721f0.jpg
3560653fe50dbcc5a5e5e9d4002b7644.jpg

Been chucking out some much more impressive clouds also been working on my inhale/exhale techniques tried to take some cloud pics but they didn't come out very well :( will try again soon :)

that coil woulda been perfect with a wick just like how yosh vapergate does it in his vids, nevermind looks like you got it nailed now, wd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread