I want higher voltage...but is VV necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodas

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
columbus ohio
I have ego batteries for 3.7 volts and 2.0 ohm LR cartos.

I want higher voltage for obvious reasons but I dont see why having a device that can change voltage is necessary.

Is there a higher volt battery (5 or 6 volts) that I can get with a 510 connection? I already have devices for lower voltage and if I have a battery that runs high end voltage...isnt that sufficient for running the gamut of vaping possibilities? Do I really need a device that can run at 4.6 volts or 3.9 or 5.1 volts? Is there a point to that?

I could use my egos for LR 2.0 cartos and a 6 volt for using 3.0 SR cartos...why would I need to cover all the areas in between? I like to keep my carto purchasing to a minimum so ordering 2 different kinds of cartos for 2 different voltage batteries seems sufficient.

The reason I ask is because these VV batteries are ungodly expensive...and just dont seem necessary to me. I started this hobby to save money from the slavery of cigarettes...a $100 Provari seems counter productive. Also the VV box mods are just ugly to me...while being cheaper...they just dont seem right to me.

So short story loooong...Im looking for a good, cheaper, cylindrical, high volt battery with a 510 connection.

Thanks.

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
just throwing this out there, i found VV vaping to be a bit of a gimmick when i first started. but my main vape doesnt taste as good at 5volts as it does at 5.5. also variable gives me a use for the older attys i have where the resistance has changed. some juices taste better at 4.2volts as opposed to 3.7. while an expencive investment, a VV mod will be the last one you ever have to buy. my provari was my best purchase since i started vaping.

Zodas

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
columbus ohio
Well...that is kind of what I was wondering...thanks for the info.

I couldnt see the reason to vape at something other than 3.7 or higher volts like 5 or 6 (whichever is the high volt norm).

I was under the same impression that it seemed gimmicky and unnecessary...but youve made a good point.

Its just that Provari is mad expensive...I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Lavatube is expensive as well...but it seems to be a little friendlier to my wallet.

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
yeah, i didnt like the price either. but to each his own. if you wanna try out VV vaping madvapes has a boxmod for pretty cheap. another thing i love about the provari is the regulated voltage, from the time i put a battery in till the time it dies, the vape never changes. no loss of power just cause my battery is low. it's worth the money if you can get one. i had a lava tube before a provari and it was good for what it was. there are plenty of budget friendly ways to get into variable voltage. and the higher end mods hold their value very well, if you happen to not like it, you can always resell it for close to what you paid for it.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
The Buzz has a more intuitive interface then the Provari or Lavatube. You just turn the little wheel until it tastes good. Since there is no LED, it will not tell you exactly what voltage you are at, or what OHMs your atty and cartos are, or how charged your battery is. I am not interested in these features and I prefer the wheel so it was easy for me to choose the Buzz over the other major VV tube mods. The Infinity Pro (also from NotCigs) is even cheaper then the Buzz if price is a major issue for you. They have the same electronics.

You should do research on battery safety before buying any mod -- in fact, it should be done before buying any pv. The Buzz has protection features built into the Mod, so I don't worry about the stacked batts in my Buzz any more then the other batteries I use.

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Is VV necessary? No, of course not. I have many cartos, 1.7 ohms up to 3.0 ohms. with a 3.7 volt mod, I wouldn't be able to use the 3.0 cartos very effectively. I also just got a Vision Stone that is supposed to be 2.1-2.3 ohms, but it measures 1.8 ohms. This would be great @ 3.7. But I like it better @ 3.5 on my VV. I also got a Vision Grande, rated @ 2.6 ohms. It measures 3.0. Works great @ ~4.7 volts. Even if you buy the same, there will be variances, and its nice to dial in the vape on just abut any carto.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
The reason I ask is because these VV batteries are ungodly expensive...and just dont seem necessary to me. I started this hobby to save money from the slavery of cigarettes...a $100 Provari seems counter productive. Also the VV box mods are just ugly to me...while being cheaper...they just dont seem right to me.

I went straight from a fixed-voltage 3.7V to a Provari, so I can't really tell you about fixed-voltage 5V, or 6V, but I certainly wouldn't want either. I don't have a single carto/juice combination that's good at either setting. Instead, a 2 ohm Boge is good at 3.9-4.2 depending on the juice; a 3 ohm Boge is good at 4.4-5V, a 2.5 ohm dual-coil is good at 4.4V, etc.

Sure, you could buy just one brand of carto and think you would have a consistent vape, but the cartos aren't exactly what they're rated for -- not by a long shot. 2 ohm Boges can measure 2.5, for instance, or 3 ohm can measure 3.1 or as low as 2.6; dual-coils vary widely. Being able to dial in a good voltage for the carto/juice combination makes for a much more consistent, pleasing vape.

I won't suggest which you should buy, because that's up to you, but I can tell you that VV is the way to go if you can swing it.

And if you know where I can find Provaris for $100, I'm all ears. :)

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
Its just that Provari is mad expensive...I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Lavatube is expensive as well...but it seems to be a little friendlier to my wallet.

Apollo has a rebranded Lavatube kit for $60.00 with a one year warranty. I ordered my second one last night.

You can't beat this for an easy to use straight forward VV mod. I find that most of my juices taste best at around 4.2.

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
SOme of my juices were nothing great (some not even very good) @ 3.4 v (Ego) but on my VV I can dial it in one such juice is really good @ 4 v , now some will say "But the Kgo etc. come off the charger @ 4.2v-" which is true but they fall to 3.7 pretty fast , VV you don't have to worry about that IF you want 4.2 or 4 v or 4.5 you have it at your disposal, and if a juice is best @ 3.2 you have that as well

ZenSilk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
SLC
I have found that all my MsT's Juices like to be vaped at about 5-5.4v. They are a bit airy below 4.2v for some reason. The higher volts really blast off the flavor in some juices, and I never find myself vaping below 4.2v for any juice (although I am using SR cartos of course, was vaping LR cartos in the beginning @ 3.5-4.0v and it does not quite compare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread