Is a VV Mod worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyyitsclay

Oct 1, 2010
New jersey
at this moment in time im using a BB from altsmoke. i have never experienced anything over 3.7 volts. i dont know much but from what i have read using a LR attie/carto mimics high voltages. i want to pick up a VV box mod and dont really know what to expect. should i stick with my BB and LR or go the VV route? advantages and disadvantages/ advice would be really helpful.

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
It's worth it.

Even if you rarely adjust the voltage...it will regulate your battery so each hit is more consistent.

As atties/cartos age, you can gradually crank them up or tune them down to milk a little more life from them.

If you like complex layered flavors, tuning the voltage does bring out different aspects of them.

VV allows you a very wide variety of options in cartos/atties you can use and tune to peak/taste.

VV doesn't cost a bunch more....over the lifespan of the mod...it's really inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. So go ahead and add the option if you can.

Cons? I can't think of anything major.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
It's worth it.

Even if you rarely adjust the voltage...it will regulate your battery so each hit is more consistent.

As atties/cartos age, you can gradually crank them up or tune them down to milk a little more life from them.

If you like complex layered flavors, tuning the voltage does bring out different aspects of them.

VV allows you a very wide variety of options in cartos/atties you can use and tune to peak/taste.

VV doesn't cost a bunch more....over the lifespan of the mod...it's really inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. So go ahead and add the option if you can.

Cons? I can't think of anything major.

VV does not neccessarily mean high volts. It can be high, or low, or anywhere in between. The point is that you can adjust it to suit your taste. Once you go VV you won't go back.

...what they said...I think consistency of the vape is one of the best things...being able to try diff ohm atty/cartos at diff volts with diff juice is way fun and satisfying...try it, you'll like it(just like Mikey).......
madjack:2cool:

sh_

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
USA
Well I am waiting my Riva VV to arrive (3.3, 3.7 and 4.2V).

I just found this review about it here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ust-got-my-variable-voltage-riva-battery.html

It was really cheap, considering the other mods (less than $30 including shipping), but I got from someone here in the forum that as selling it.

I am using a Riva SE, so the voltagem that I get here is 3.7V or so, I cant wait until I can test the 3.3V for sweet juices and 4.2 for the tabacco juices I have.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm not so sure. I have a VV mod and my most recent purchase happens to be a VV mod, but I'm still not drinking the VV koolaid. I'm less than convinced it's "worth it" specifically when that's the only feature someone is thinking about when they buy a PV.

After reading the chatter about VV for months, I caved in a few weeks ago and bought a VV device. What I discovered was that I ended up setting it to exactly the same voltages I was able to produce before I had VV. I spent a lot of time, money, and effort over the last couple of years matching my cartos, attys, and juices to my batteries. I found combinations I enjoy and VV didn't make me enjoy them more. There has been no moment when I thought to myself, "Wow. This is so much better than what I was doing before!"

The one point that was made that I'm willing to really give a little credit to is that voltage regulation is nice. Batteries drain as you use them and if unregulated can indeed create a much different experience over the drain curve between being fully charged and needing to be charged. I've been able to mitigate that issue quite a bit by using higher quality batteries and making minor adjustments in my choices of attys and cartos. But, voltage regulation will always provide the most consistent experience.

I think there are other features in PVs that are more important. I also think the features someone might desire vary a lot from person to person. Using myself as an example, my work and play involve a lot of rough physical activity and often unpredictable circumstances. The very first thing I look for in a PV now is durable construction. I've owned a quite a few plastic boxes because they were easy and inexpensive. I learned that ten or a dozen broken plastic boxes could have been completely avoided with one good metal tube or metal box and I would have saved money in the long run had I considered that to begin with. My work days can be anywhere from 10 to 20 hours. That often means I won't be near my supplies for extended periods of time so I need to carry enough stuff to last until I can re-supply. Had I considered that to begin with, I probably would have started leaning towards feeders a lot sooner. My social situations are varied, too. Some devices just aren't suited to match some of the people I'll be around or places I'll be. I have to travel occasionally and I've discovered that some devices are scrutinized far more seriously than others by airport security.... etc etc etc.

VV is just one feature of many available in PVs. Maybe you need something small - maybe you want something that looks cool - maybe you like a specific color or build material - maybe you need a drip well - etc etc etc. There is a lot to consider before you decide if VV is "worth it".

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Well I am waiting my Riva VV to arrive (3.3, 3.7 and 4.2V).

I just found this review about it here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ust-got-my-variable-voltage-riva-battery.html

It was really cheap, considering the other mods (less than $30 including shipping), but I got from someone here in the forum that as selling it.

I am using a Riva SE, so the voltagem that I get here is 3.7V or so, I cant wait until I can test the 3.3V for sweet juices and 4.2 for the tabacco juices I have.

...just my personal opinion only...I think these are not true VV but more of a marketing ploy...those batts come off the charger at 4.1-4.2v and will not last long at those voltages...for just another couple of buck you could have gotten a true VV box mod with voltage ranges from 3 to 6v...just my opinion only and YMMV...good luck and Happy Vaping to ya.........

phishhed27

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
Berwyn/Chi-Town.Il.
IMHO the lavatube/L-rider/etc. Is the best variable voltage mod for the money.
Ive owned mine for a few months now,and its still working like a champ,and i look forward to purchasing one or two of the 18350 MINI lavatubes with the 18650 extension sleeves in one of the ECF co-ops.GLW whatever you decide to buy.
One good thing about the LT...if you grab one off the co-op once it starts,theyre gonna be SO cheap,ANYBODY could afford one even after buying a new more expensive mod.

Eyyitsclay

Oct 1, 2010
New jersey
well the VV box mod was sold out. since im on a budget i got the 5V box mod. for the time being ill be vaping at 5V until they are back in stock. the plus is ill be getting higher ohm cartos/atties for when i get my VV and the ladyfriend can have my 5V b when i get a new mod. downside is.... i dont have a VV mod lol. thanks for all the info. much appreciated.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
well the VV box mod was sold out. since im on a budget i got the 5V box mod. for the time being ill be vaping at 5V until they are back in stock. the plus is ill be getting higher ohm cartos/atties for when i get my VV and the ladyfriend can have my 5V b when i get a new mod. downside is.... i dont have a VV mod lol. thanks for all the info. much appreciated.

I, now, mostly leave my VV box mod on 5v and at that voltage, I use 3ohm Boges and 1.5ohm dual coil Smoktechs...the dual coils with my 60%VG juice is nothing short of amazing...I usually save it for a treat since, it will run thru juice like water thru a hose............

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I, now, mostly leave my VV box mod on 5v and at that voltage, I use 3ohm Boges and 1.5ohm dual coil Smoktechs...the dual coils with my 60%VG juice is nothing short of amazing...I usually save it for a treat since, it will run thru juice like water thru a hose............

Madjack my friend, you are madder than I thought! A 1.5 dc at 5 V blows the back of my head off! :ohmy:

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Madjack my friend, you are madder than I thought! A 1.5 dc at 5 V blows the back of my head off! :ohmy:

16.67 watts. That's a lot of heat.

...yeah but...lolol...that 16.67w is split between two coils so, it is actually like vaping 2PVs at 8.3watts each...like I said, I use it for a treat or to kill an after dinner crave...my RY4 and Black&Mild really make me smile...sweet/fruity juices are not so good at that level...they are much better with a 3ohm @ 5v even though that is 8.3watts as well...all I can say is VV has spoiled me.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread