Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
Austin, Texas
www.youtube.com
I agree pretty much with Six above. I have, gosh, more than a dozen ecigs and mods now, lol. When I built my first vv mod, I had a ton of fun trying all sorts of atties/cartomizers at all voltages and eliquids. But in the end, I have my favorite e-liquids and cartomizer I like and basically want the power-supplying part of what I'm vaping to be sturdy, handy and easy more than anything else. When I'm leaving the house, I'm typically grabbing my SmokelessImage Volt gear or my Gotvapes Ultimo 950 (has 3 voltage settings, that's enough for me). Of course, in reality, I'm often vaping something for a review, lol, sometimes really good, sometimes nearly unbearable for that whole 1-week minimum time before I can shoot the review, LOLOL!

But yeah, I hope to review a Darwin soon. I'm thinking that being able to set a constant wattage, meaning a specific heat to the coil, will be the true solution to the best vape. That's truly what everyone is trying to get to with all of the vv mods, even if they don't know it. :)

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
I prefer the VV over my previous 3.7v mods. I can have a range of settings on a single mod with a single carto. No more buying sifferent resistance cartos for fruit flavors, baked good flavors, and tobacco flavors. I just buy 1 brand carto, and change my voltage. And, as the day goes on, I like to up my voltage. I start with cool hits in the morning, and end the day with a nice warm hit.

Drak

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2011
Maryland
I spent about 2 weeks with my first 3.7 until I bought a VV box mod off the 'boards.

I thank that 3.7 for getting me started, ...but couldn't really imagine going back to it now at all.

VV mods (in my case box mods) are the most perfectly natural way to vape I could possibly imagine now.

I look at 3.7's sort of as starter kits...just me.

And I don't know why it's not taking your 1.5 dualie, that's all I use on mine, all day, every day.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Other than size possibly being the ultimate goal I don't see how a VV Mod couldn't be worth it, It's every mod in one, if you like 3.7 vaping you've got it, 5 volt or above in most cases you've got it and anywhere in between. Plus it's regulated and no need to worry about matching ohms to voltage as you do with a fixed voltage mod.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Plus it's regulated and no need to worry about matching ohms to voltage as you do with a fixed voltage mod.

I've already done that work ;) That's what reduces the desirability of VV for me. I know what attys and cartos I like on my devices and at the voltages I can create with the batteries I have. Not only did I already put some time and money in to figuring out what I like, but then I stocked up. I'm roughly ~8 months ahead on most of my supplies.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I've already done that work ;) That's what reduces the desirability of VV for me. I know what attys and cartos I like on my devices and at the voltages I can create with the batteries I have. Not only did I already put some time and money in to figuring out what I like, but then I stocked up. I'm roughly ~8 months ahead on most of my supplies.

I'd miss the fact that when I wake up, I don't want the same vape as I do later in the day, and later in the day I don't want the same vape I do when consuming adult beverages.

Just as an example: on a Boge 3.0, I'll set it as low as 3.8-3.9V in the morning (4.8-5 watts), because I don't want that huge hit. It still vapes well and produces nice vapor, but I don't get a ton of heat. This is a similar vape to a KR808 (Bloog, Volt, etc.) at ~5 watts. It's all I need in the morning.

By lunchtime, I'm up to 4.3V (6.2 watts), and by evening I'm at 4.5-4.6V (6.75-7 watts). If I'm indulging in adult pastimes, I'll be at 4.8 (7.7 watts), and if things get a bit crazy, (or I'm really craving an analog) I may go as high as 5.5-6V (10-12 watts) for a massive hit and a lot of heat, although in reality I've never needed 6V -- yet.

That flexibility is why I love my VV device. I'd seriously miss that fine-grained control.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
That flexibility is why I love my VV device. I'd seriously miss that fine-grained control.

I'm actually about the same way with a little cooler vape in the morning vs wanting a little warmer as the day progresses. It depends on the device I'm using that day, but generally the battery from the day before remains in use until around noon. Then I pop in fresh batts. Toward the end of the workday, I pop in fresh batts again. When I get home, I tend to move to HV with mods I don't normally carry around outside the house (my 5.0v triple-v gets a lot of use at night, for instance).

I'm not knocking VV. I own a VV mod, and I have one on order. I don't have anything *against* it. I just don't feel like it is the most important feature to consider when looking at something new. So, the "worth it" question just seems to have a lot of variables.

I sort of think it's also worth talking about the pros and cons of the different ways VV is implemented when considering if the feature VV is "worth it". There's a pretty big difference in how different modders have chosen to utilize and implement VV. This last year or so has brought a whole lot of different devices. There's everything from having a multimeter built in (provari) to color coded thumb wheels (buzz) to built in simple voltmeter (monkey boxx and others), to just vv with a trim pot (the majority of plastic vv boxes out there).

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Love my VV mods. I consider them to be an investment in my future. As you can see by my siggie, I like the handmade wood mods. I diy, and I have dozens of flavors that I vape on a regular basis. My VV control make it so easy to get the vape I want, any time of the day, with any flavor.

Edited to add: I use carto tanks. I only need to buy one type of carto to keep me happy, and the VV mods do the rest. It's much simpler for me.

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm not knocking VV. I own a VV mod, and I have one on order. I don't have anything *against* it. I just don't feel like it is the most important feature to consider when looking at something new. So, the "worth it" question just seems to have a lot of variables.

I purchased a GotVapes Ultimo about a month ago. It had three voltage settings... 3.2, 3.7 and 4.0. It simply didn't give me the flexibility that I really have come to want and need.

I sold it.

Love my VV mods. I consider them to be an investment in my future. As you can see by my siggie, I like the handmade wood mods. I diy, and I have dozens of flavors that I vape on a regular basis. My VV control make it so easy to get the vape I want, any time of the day, with any flavor.

Edited to add: I use carto tanks. I only need to buy one type of carto to keep me happy, and the VV mods do the rest. It's much simpler for me.

I happen to agree, both about wood mods AND variable voltage.

With my ProVari, and soon to arrive Gepetto VV and Touchwood (with The Step to be added), I'll have three devices that can utiliize Boge 3.0 cartos, and my modest collection of tanks. I just find it much easier to be able to adjust voltage on the fly, and using tanks instead of bottom feeders, I don't have to squeeze a bottle, tip the mod to feed the atty... just make sure I have fully charged batteries, a full tank, and I'm set for hours of vapping!

(I also LOVE the feel and look of a beautiful wood mod! They are easier to carry around in my shirt pocket then a long tube mod, look wonderful and feel great in your hand)

My two cents, but again, everyone has different needs! :blush:

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Just for grins, I pulled out my SD MKII, and put in a fresh 18350 battery (4.2 volts) popped on a 1.7 ohm carto, and even with a fresh battery it doesn't have as strong of a hit as my ProVari @ 3.3 volts. Probably because the battery is so small? I am sure an 18650 battery can do much better. Now of course, I have many other cartos that I could use, but the 2.0 ohms and higher cant give me the hit I need on the SD MKII. But with a VV mod, I can use all of the cartos I have. Like many here, I started out small and worked my way up to a big VV mod. The only way you will know for sure is to try one for yourself. In hind-site, I should have just bought a big VV mod to start with. I myself was looking at the BB and a few other large battery 3.7 volt mods before I made a deal with the G/F for Christmas. I got her what she wanted, and she bought me a Provari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread