iClear16's breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I use both apple and cinnamon. You guys are probably right. Also I have been smoking for 5+ years now and have tried all sorts of tanks, carts, mods and I have never liked anything to bulky or heavy. I am always looking something with the best flavor and cost. Do you know of a glass tank the size of the iclears?
You can get glass protanks (the origional) for $3.99 ea at Goodejuice.
It is what I got for my citrus juices.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I like the looks of the Aspire Nautilus Mini. I found one on Fasttech but I know they sometimes are not original. I think I'll give it a try. thank you
You're welcome. I know that there are cheaper models out there, but I was very impressed with both of those and they've been very reliable. Let us know how it all turns out!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I use both apple and cinnamon. You guys are probably right. Also I have been smoking for 5+ years now and have tried all sorts of tanks, carts, mods and I have never liked anything to bulky or heavy. I am always looking something with the best flavor and cost. Do you know of a glass tank the size of the iclears?

standard simple small lowcost startup glass tank is the miniprotank2.
if you get the miniaerotank or the nautilus I think they come with dual coils;
if you want to save money by rewicking your coils, you'd want to look at single coils;
if you get the dual coils, you might still be able to rewick, but I dunno for sure.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
standard simple small lowcost startup glass tank is the miniprotank2.
if you get the miniaerotank or the nautilus I think they come with dual coils;
if you want to save money by rewicking your coils, you'd want to look at single coils;
if you get the dual coils, you might still be able to rewick, but I dunno for sure.
You can just rebuild them to a single coil. It's not a big deal and you have a bit more room to play with. I've done quite a few. I've tried the protank 1 and 2 and the aerotanks, and the nautilus mini and the Aspire pyrex clearo. Out of those small ones, the nautilus mini wins, with the aerotanks coming second.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
i have used iclear16's for one and a half years.
i have never experienced the bulging you show
nor have heard of it before.
in my experience over time pressure cracks will
form where the plastic tank meets the upper and lower
metal cowling. more so on the bottom.
i have seen dis-configuration of the inner lining due
to chemical reactions but,never bulging.
it appears to me a very high heat was applied to
get that bulging effect.
its clear that normal operation with the appropriate
hardware didn't.
:2c:
regards
mike
What is shown in the picture isn't bulging. It's epoxy. The bulging was a softening and warping of the black tip as I described in the original post. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
The Kanger mini Protank 3 comes closest to the Iclears in terms of juice capacity.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I kinda like the K1 from Aspire. Cheaper than a Protank Mini, unless the price has dropped since I last looked at them (well over a year ago). Plus, in my opinion, the Aspire BVC coils are more consistent in performance than Kanger heads. Ever since Chinese New Year last year, Kanger clearomizer heads really took a nose-dive in quality and consistency.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
What is shown in the picture isn't bulging. It's epoxy. The bulging was a softening and warping of the black tip as I described in the original post. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
ok.
then its something in the juice.
lemon and cinnamon are known to do that.
they usually scorch the clear plastic but,
i have had a couple of tips melt.
instead of epoxy around the bottom of
the tank i thin out some regular Elmers
glue with water.not to much water though.
just thin enough to get between the plastic
and metal ring. two light coats.
i figure if its safe enough for children
to eat it shouldn't be a problem in the
unlikely event it might get into the juice.
for a better idea of whats melting your tips
go to the search function here and search
the term "tank crackers".
regards
mike

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Your juice is causing the plastic to degrade. I can recommend the Aspire K1's. Inexpensive, glass, & bottom feed organic cotton coils, ego threaded, good flavor & vapor. Well, as good as your mod & juice will allow. Same size as the ones that are melting on you. They work very well with those 1300mah batteries you like, too. Be careful when ordering coils, the clones aren't reliable at all. Check the authentication codes on the boxes at the Aspire site before you even open them. Also be careful when ordering coils that you don't order the ones for the 2 Nautilus tanks. The K1's use a smaller coil. Looks the same but is much smaller.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
The pictures above do not show bulging, that is epoxy as I described in the original post. The "swelling" I referred to was on the base of the black tip we use to draw the juice. Where it touches the white cap it swells and becomes soft and pliable. From what I have read above this does happen with certain juices all of which I use unfortunately. You described the cracking perfectly as I experience it. Cracking at the base where it meets the metal. That is where I have placed epoxy until I can get another glass type Clearomizer to replace them or I run out of all the spare heads I wasted money on for the iclear16's. I decided to go with the Aspire k1 and the Nautilus minis to see which I prefer. Thank you for your input.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Sooner or later, polycarbonate pressed into a metal ring will come apart.
Metal conducts some of the heat from the coil, expands differently than the plastic, gradually loosening the joint. Vaping known tankbusters in them shortens their lifespan drastically.
Wouldn't scoff at them, though. Good return for the money invested, even when they zonk out. Thats why using glue or epoxy fo fix them isn't worth the hassle.
The chems present in glue or epoxy... might just as well take up smoking again then

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
i have used iclear16's for one and a half years.
i have never experienced the bulging you show
nor have heard of it before.
in my experience over time pressure cracks will
form where the plastic tank meets the upper and lower
metal cowling. more so on the bottom.
i have seen dis-configuration of the inner lining due
to chemical reactions but,never bulging.
it appears to me a very high heat was applied to
get that bulging effect.
its clear that normal operation with the appropriate
hardware didn't.
:2c:
regards
mike

the "bulging" in the picture is the lensing effect from the epoxy... rather clear epoxy at that ;)

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
It took a page and a half to mention the insanity of using epoxy on this thing? Epoxy catalysts are generally corrosive at best, and carcinogenic or mutagenic at worst.

Please get a new clearo while you sort out where to go next. $10/week isn't worth the vile toxins you may be inhaling.
Not so much on these. I have some common sense. These were epoxied prior to a crack forming. This was a preventative measure which has little to no chance of getting into my liquid. If your the kind of pushy holier then thou person I think you might be I'll be patiently awaiting your response.

Reactions: skoony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread