Idea for a safety feature. Or does it exist already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Since the latest APV's are getting more and more poweful, I thought about a feature that, in my opinion, could add to the safe use of batteries.
How about a menu setting where you can enter the maximum safe discharge rate of your battery?
So in case you're using a resistance/voltage/wattage combination that exceeds this pre-set value, the device will refuse to fire and display a warning that the setting you're trying to use is too high. Not an exciting new feature but I certainly would use it if it was available.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Interesting idea!
    Problem is we don't know the safe maximum discharge rate for almost all the cells that are used for vaping. Just using the claimed continuous discharge ratings (CDR) is begging for trouble, in my opinion, as they are often determined more by marketing decisions rather than safety decisions.
    But I like the idea!

yo han

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    Thanks
    People using batteries from such manufacturers probably don't care anyway. People seriously looking into it do know the real amp rating of their batteries.
    It's not a feature you have to use, it's one you can use. Having it available as an option doesn't limit the device, it only adds something for people who care about it.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    www.steam-engine.org
    Some higher-end mods measure the voltage sag and/or internal resistance of the battery when firing. (Which are more or less two sides of the same coin.)

If the measurements are not good, the mod will tell you that the battery needs to be changed. Some mods display a generic "low battery" warning, others will actually tell you how "healthy" your battery is, and whether it needs to be discarded.

This is not always enough, so even with a feature like this, you would want to keep an eye on your batteries throughout their lifetime.

yo han

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    Cool, I didn't know that.
    However this is probably only available in (very) expensive mods. The feature I was describing could be done very easily and doesn't need measuring internal resistance or anything. It could easily be implemented in the cheapest mods since it's very simple and free. Of course it's far from perfect but it does give an extra form of protection.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread