In the Hospital with Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
No prior warning just get difficult to breathe and developed high fever. I was away from home, In South Carolina visiting my daughter, so I refused to go to a doctor. On Tuesday I got worse as we came home on Wednesday. As soon as we got home I fell and could not get up. I had been taking out of my mind. My breathing had become so bad my husband called 911. I don't even remember them taking me to the hospital. I remember bits and pieces of the rest of the night. I was admitted with respiratory problems. They ended up saying I had pneumona, plus bronchitis, slight anemia and a few more diagnosis.

The only other time I had pneumonia was about 6 years ago with several complicatons and ended up on a mechanical ventilator for 11 days,

On thing I did notice I didn't vape all week until today. When I use to smoke cigarettes I could be throwing up and as soon as I would quit I would smoke again. No matter what my condition was at time I would still smoke.

I am not sure if my condition was caused from vaping but I don't think so
after all my respiratory system was much better prior to this.

Now I am sitting in my hospital bed vaping away and not one of the nurses and staff of the hospital has not even mentioned or even made reference to my ecigs.

I don' know why I am telling you about the problems I am having I guess I just wanted sympathy

kalekona

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Washington State
No prior warning just get difficult to breathe and developed high fever. I was away from home, In South Carolina visiting my daughter, so I refused to go to a doctor. On Tuesday I got worse as we came home on Wednesday. As soon as we got home I fell and could not get up. I had been taking out of my mind. My breathing had become so bad my husband called 911. I don't even remember them taking me to the hospital. I remember bits and pieces of the rest of the night. I was admitted with respiratory problems. They ended up saying I had pneumona, plus bronchitis, slight anemia and a few more diagnosis.

The only other time I had pneumonia was about 6 years ago with several complicatons and ended up on a mechanical ventilator for 11 days,

On thing I did notice I didn't vape all week until today. When I use to smoke cigarettes I could be throwing up and as soon as I would quit I would smoke again. No matter what my condition was at time I would still smoke.

I am not sure if my condition was caused from vaping but I don't think so
after all my respiratory system was much better prior to this.

Now I am sitting in my hospital bed vaping away and not one of the nurses and staff of the hospital has not even mentioned or even made reference to my ecigs.

I don' know why I am telling you about the problems I am having I guess I just wanted sympathy

\lm/ Feel better!

(i understand the whole could be dying thing but still grabbing an analog thing I was the same way!)

Cool that you can vape in your hospital bed!

Cielo

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Florida
Hope you get to feeling better and get lots of rest! I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung in november, this was when I was still smoking. Have you spoke to your respiratory therapist? I would say that using an e-cig is good for a primary reason that it will keep your lungs from collapsing. Inhaling on a pv, would be almost identical to the breathing exercises they made me do on the spirometer.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Thanks everyone. I makes me feel so much better just hearing all you concern. I feel 90% better but still in the hospital and probably will be for a couple of more days. Nobody has said one word about my vaping. I am starting to get a little concerned. I just can't imagine in a hospital room with a ecig does arouse some kind of response. But to think about it I am vaping a little chuck. It does not even look like a cigarette. Then maybe they are thinking I smoking dope and afraid to say anything.

I worked at this hospital for 25 years so most of the people already know me. My son(lawyer and was a respiratory therapist while in shcool )and my sister-in-law(nurse) both use to work here was visiting today and most staff who came talked to them. But I am still confused. Have any of you had anything like this happen to you.

I am also certain this is not related to vaping. I started back vaping after 2 days and had no problems at all. This is the first time after 10 months of vaping that I even coughed. I will continue to vape. I didn't want to discourage anyone from vaping just wanted to tell my story and as I said wanted some sympathy which I did receive. Just to know you are some good friends.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I know what you mean about smoking no matter what. People always say "You had bronchitis (or pneumonia or strep) and you still smoked?" My reaction is always "If it were that easy to quit, I would have done it a long time ago."

This time, however, I wouldn't be surprised if your lungs aren't a bit stronger than they were in the past and you recover quicker. (Fingers crossed that it is so.)

If your doctor or one of your nurses knows about vaping, he/she could have put it in your chart the first time you did it. That could be why no one has asked you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread