Indented Negative on Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
I'd almost say that for the sake of figuring it out... sacrifice another battery (shouldn't be any danger until it gets warped)... put it in, and check it or a regular basis, until it happens again (any signs at all), and note anything "weird" or uncommon that might happen during use.
This mod performed flawlessly otherwise. No misfires, screen issues, charging issues (I guess that I know of). It was an otherwise great mod.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
But, Steve, even if the damage is the result of the type of force you are describing, I really havent dropped this mod or set it down an forceful manner with the damaged battery. Dont you think I should stop using this mod, if the batteries are getting damaged, thereby posing a danger to me, just from inserting them?

I am a firm believer in when in doubt don't~! But I am also very analytical and like to do the forensics to find out the cause of the problem.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Question that could offer some insight into the issue is where do you use this MOD aside from where you said already? Do you drive with it? Is it ever where forces could be exerted on the battery without you realizing it?
No, I only use it in the places I said nowadays. It used be my carry about mod, and I have dropped it before, but this was a time when I only used the HG2 in it. It has only been used at my computer or in my bed since I began using the HD2C in it (about 2 months ago), and has not even been put in a pocket with the HD2C.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Why throw good money after bad? Especially if the mod does have an internal short. If the mod isnt necessary and he can get by without it then there is no need to experiment with it in any dangerous way.
I have an RX300, and RX2/3, a GX350, and an Alien. I realized that I needed to have back up mods after my first RX300 stopped working properly within 2 weeks lol. I have no reason to use the IPV D3 anymore if it is dangerous.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Im not retiring from this thread as there seems to still be interest here, but I do need to take a break for a while. Ill be back if anyone wants to ask how I use the mod or needs a new picture or something. Thanks again for all the help.

Too much input?
attachment.php

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Im not retiring from this thread as there seems to still be interest here, but I do need to take a break for a while. Ill be back if anyone wants to ask how I use the mod or needs a new picture or something. Thanks again for all the help.

Hey, it's a good thing you noticed it. That's the sort of weird thing that can lead to something really tragic. Seeing the second battery looking banged up in the same spot would make me avoid that mod. I know it sucks, but the alternatives may not end well at all.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    It's strange. You would think there would be more reports of the iPV D3 putting dents like that in a battery.
    I have a couple iPV D3S, which I'm sure use the same sled. The spring loaded neg pin is stiff, but not stiff enough to dent like that. I've been using HG2s in them without issue.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    (Without reading through 5 pages of previous replies...)

To me that battery is damaged. I'd retire it, but I'm definitely over-cautious about my batteries.

The warmth doesn't seem surprising. 80 watts is a lot to ask from a single cell.

That's true.. maxing out a single battery like that , not good.

I'd never push a mod to the max as for single, the max is usually 75W for a reason... damn these manufacturers that cater to the "must have easy wattage to start a jet liner" and use pulsing to push more than they should..

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    The positive connections on most of my MOD's is a flat surface almost the exact size as the battery. The negative is a rounded pin on some of them and other has a flat negative that is much larger than a positive. If it was heating enough to damage the metal there would be other damage to plastic because that much heat will not dissipate fast enough. Plus if it was that much heat to deform metal I would expect to see melted plast wraps on the battery. I am pretty convinced it is an impact that cause it due to the impression left in the battery.

Think of it like someone hit by lightning... they'll be toast but their clothes could be completely untouched.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
    That's true.. maxing out a single battery like that , not good.

I'd never push a mod to the max as for single, the max is usually 75W for a reason... damn these manufacturers that cater to the "must have easy wattage to start a jet liner" and use pulsing to push more than they should..

I dont use the IPV too often anymore and I thought I would show it some love. The build in that RDA was initially for my other mods, until i noticed the ramp up wasnt too bad at 80w. I thought it was pretty safe to use a 25A battery down to about 3.5 volts at 80w, which is what my charger would show when the mod was displaying about a third of capacity left. Thats why I thought to pull it when it became noticeably warm. I typically dont notice my other mods getting warm, and it is something I look for.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2015
    Isn't the battery in question a 25A...?

Thought he was using a 30A cell. No matter, turns out he's not discharging lower than 3.5V so he's pulling 25A with 90% efficiency. I don't advise it because I like some headroom but if someone has done their own research and concluded that they are fine with pulling max amps from their cell then I no longer feel compelled to argue with them.

Realistically, if you have a 25A CDR and you pull no more than 25A from it then there shouldn't be any problems. It all boils down to vaping style at that point. It's when someone is drawing over the rating that I become concerned.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread