Information and predictions about the European Union Vaping Excise

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many european vapers might have heard, excise tax will be implemented eventually. Estimates are that this will likely happen between 2023 - 2025 however some countries are starting in 2022 individually.

There are some estimates from proffesionals as to how the European Union will tax vaping products. It is for example really likely that you will be taxed per ml of e-liquid. This tax is likely to be between $0.08 to $1.00. It is likely that vaping products will recieve less frequent tax increases due to their positive effects compared to tabacco. If you do not want to pay this tax, there is always an option to create your own liquid with a bit of spare time on your hands as the products used to create e-liquid will not be taxed, the tax will only apply if you buy pre-made e-liquid. So I'd recommend learning how to create your own e-liquid before 2022 if you're an european vaper, could safe you some money in the end.

Things to note: This has not been 100% confirmed yet, but is 90% sure to happen eventually. They are currently working on making this all lawfull. So a few years could pass before it actually gets implemented. vaping is probably not at the top of their list with all the things going on in the world right now, and the procedure was just started, with the average procedure taking 2-3 years I wouldn't be expecting it anytime soon.

If you have any questions, please ask. I've done quite the bits of research on the topic and chances are I could answer your question! :D

Happy vaping! :)

Since you do have some time, hopefully, before this happens take a lesson from the U.S. and organize now to start a serious fight protesting this now.

It has already been passed through the European Commission I believe, not sure but there is not much purpose to it anymore. The taxes will be incredibly low aswell plus I could just make my own e-liquid.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Since you do have some time, hopefully, before this happens take a lesson from the U.S. and organize now to start a serious fight protesting this now.

It has already been passed through the European Commission I believe, not sure but there is not much purpose to it anymore. The taxes will be incredibly low aswell plus I could just make my own e-liquid.

Yep,like Joshua says this is something that will happen.

With no disrespect to my fellow brothers and sisters from the US but here they tend to really look into the studies and reports done when it comes to this sort of stuff i think the tax won't be as high over here (atleast in Spain).

But yeah this was bound to happen,like i said several times before vape apparatus,batteries,coils,cotton etc etc won't be taxed.

The way they will get us is with the nic or the aromas+nic,but i am willing to bet it will be the nicotine alone that will get the taxation.

What pisses me off to no end is this is just done to get the coffers full of more money,there is no interest in the well being of the citizens,they just want to recoup the loss of taxes from the declining sales of cigarettes.

What makes me mad is that if this were an emergency and the country is going thru a rough patch sure i would do my part and pay the taxes but come on!!!
Here in Spain we have rampant corruption,politicians with companies that are under their spouses/distant relative names and said companies get contracts from the government.

Construction company gets appointed a contract to build a highway or a bridge,they didn't choose the company that would do it for a fair price and with good quality no siree they gave the contract to the company who would give them more money under the table.

Same for the ''revolving'' door situation we have,politicians don't give a flying rats ... about the citizens,they work for themselves giving out favors to public owned companies that way when they stop being politicians they get a nice comfy job in the private sector.

This is what really ticks me off,there is NO REASON to tax vape products be nicotine,aromas,e-liquid or vaping gear.
Vaping is saving lifes and just for that and that alone it should not be touched.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio

Yep,like Joshua says this is something that will happen.

With no disrespect to my fellow brothers and sisters from the US but here they tend to really look into the studies and reports done when it comes to this sort of stuff i think the tax won't be as high over here (atleast in Spain).

But yeah this was bound to happen,like i said several times before vape apparatus,batteries,coils,cotton etc etc won't be taxed.

The way they will get us is with the nic or the aromas+nic,but i am willing to bet it will be the nicotine alone that will get the taxation.

What pisses me off to no end is this is just done to get the coffers full of more money,there is no interest in the well being of the citizens,they just want to recoup the loss of taxes from the declining sales of cigarettes.

What makes me mad is that if this were an emergency and the country is going thru a rough patch sure i would do my part and pay the taxes but come on!!!
Here in Spain we have rampant corruption,politicians with companies that are under their spouses/distant relative names and said companies get contracts from the government.

Construction company gets appointed a contract to build a highway or a bridge,they didn't choose the company that would do it for a fair price and with good quality no siree they gave the contract to the company who would give them more money under the table.

Same for the ''revolving'' door situation we have,politicians don't give a flying rats ... about the citizens,they work for themselves giving out favors to public owned companies that way when they stop being politicians they get a nice comfy job in the private sector.

This is what really ticks me off,there is NO REASON to tax vape products be nicotine,aromas,e-liquid or vaping gear.
Vaping is saving lifes and just for that and that alone it should not be touched.

Not to be whatever but this sounds like reasoning from the U.S. playbook response to the war on vaping so good luck... "Yeah it's a done deal, it's just a low tax, I can make my own eliquid, the government knows what it's doing..." That's how it started here and from there it escalated ... Just a fyi cents per ml doesn't sound like much on the surface but, say 0.10 cents/ml on 1000 ml is $100 tax.... And sure you make your own eliquid, what about those who can't or smokers who want to quit smoking but are put off by the high cost of vaping, you know your fellow man and all that, and how much is that now taxed nicotine going to cost you...1liter nic x .10/ml tax = $100 :( yeah I'm pretty passionate about actively standing up for vaping rights till you can't anymore, sorry, but not really sorry.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Not to be whatever but this sounds like reasoning from the U.S. playbook response to the war on vaping so good luck... "Yeah it's a done deal, it's just a low tax, I can make my own eliquid, the government knows what it's doing..." That's how it started here and from there it escalated ... Just a fyi cents per ml doesn't sound like much on the surface but, say 0.10 cents/ml on 1000 ml is $100 tax.... And sure you make your own eliquid, what about those who can't or smokers who want to quit smoking but are put off by the high cost of vaping, you know your fellow man and all that, and how much is that now taxed nicotine going to cost you...1liter nic x .10/ml tax = $100 :( yeah I'm pretty passionate about actively standing up for vaping rights till you can't anymore, sorry, but not really sorry.

I would not wish to disagree with you, but what I have learned in hard times under Right Wing Governments in the UK during my long lifetime - "In hard times, you fort up and look after you and yours."

There are windows when it looks like the new dawn might have really dawned, but usually it will be a false dawn and preparation is the key before the hammer falls.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    In honor of the Tiananmen Square anniversary.

4c4e34aa-8386-11e9-bda2-8286175bc410_young_post_e1z1_11.jpg

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain

Read my post...nowhere did i say the ''the government knows what it's doing...''

If you're going to quote me at least do it correctly.

And about fighting and standing up for what you believe for sure,sounds good on paper and it will sure get you lots of likes but in some cases there is no fight and there is no standing up.

It is not a matter of ''if'' it happens it is more like ''when'' it will happen,said it since i started here in ECF,when it comes to Spain it is a done deal.

Heavy smokers here in Spain and it was just a matter of time until vaping got on the radar.
    Way government here works there is no way in hell that they would not think of putting tax on nicotine for vaping.

You could protest,stand in front of the Moncloa (The Palace of Moncloa or Moncloa Palace is the official residence and workplace of the Prime Minister of Spain),the Parlament,etc,etc there is no way out of it and it will happen.

And sorry to call you out on this but your arguement about people that want to quit smoking but won't be able to afford vaping?? hmm are you serious??

Do you know the cost of a pack of smokes in Spain?
    Pack of Marlboro red is 5 euros...so yeah,pack and a half a day comes up to about 45'ish euros a week...so people that want to quit smoking just do it for the money saving or to get healthy?
    Thought the main reason to quit smoking and start vaping was to get healthy.
    Even when the taxes on nicotine are implemented it will still be way way way way cheaper to vape than to smoke cigarettes.

And not to drive the final nail in the coffin but yeah good job on standing up and fighting for vaping rights over in your neck of the woods,we all seen how that turned out...sorry, but not really sorry.

Reactions: YoursTruli

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    And not to drive the final nail in the coffin but yeah good job on standing up and fighting for vaping rights over in your neck of the woods,we all seen how that turned out...sorry, but not really sorry.

In my state, Ohio, we have fought and won many times for vaping rights. Here it's fighting government on all levels from local to state. We have a well organized and supported Ohio Vapers Association. All Taxes were fought off for years, No flavor bans in Ohio although many have been introduced. Any win is a good win.
    No tax policy should not discourage smokers from switching to e-cigarettes, nor should it manipulate its markets to make cigarettes and other tobacco products cheaper than vaping products.

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    In my state, Ohio, we have fought and won many times for vaping rights. Here it's fighting government on all levels from local to state. We have a well organized and supported Ohio Vapers Association. All Taxes were fought off for years, No flavor bans in Ohio although many have been introduced. Any win is a good win.
    No tax policy should not discourage smokers from switching to e-cigarettes, nor should it manipulate its markets to make cigarettes and other tobacco products cheaper than vaping products.

Good for you.

But here? They still going to tax it.

Not going to happen.

At least on my part not lifting a finger,tired of the current political climate we have in my country,that is why i stopped voting.
    Voted to the left and i got screwed,voted to the right? Still got screwed,ok lets go with the center...same result.

All i see are politicians promising one thing and then wam bam thank you maam proof gets leaked that they made a little something something on the side.

Tax will happen,maybe a couple euros each time i get my e-liquid for the month,if that is the case i will just keep on vaping.

And people that will want to switch to vaping will still be able to do so and it will still be cheaper than smoking cigarettes.

The Spanish Ministry of Health has looked deep into vaping,they even acknowledged the spike that rippled thru the USA due to vitamin e ''acetate'' in vaping devices and declared that it had nothing to do with regular vaping.
    They won't ban vaping here,even in governental buildings,clinics,hospitals,etc you can see signs that prohibit smoking cigarettes but they also added vaping to the sign....so vaping is here to stay.

So yeah there won't be a ban happening,but tax on nic? yep that is a given,just a matter of when and not if.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Good for you.

Not going to happen.

At least on my part not lifting a finger,tired of the current political climate we have in my country,that is why i stopped voting.
    Voted to the left and i got screwed,voted to the right? Still got screwed,ok lets go with the center...same result.

All i see are politicians promising one thing and then wam bam thank you maam proof gets leaked that they made a little something something on the side.

Tax will happen,maybe a couple euros each time i get my e-liquid for the month,if that is the case i will just keep on vaping.

And people that will want to switch to vaping will still be able to do so and it will still be cheaper than smoking cigarettes.

The Spanish Ministry of Health has looked deep into vaping,they even acknowledged the spike that rippled thru the USA due to vitamin e ''acetate'' in vaping devices and declared that it had nothing to do with regular vaping.
    They won't ban vaping here,even in governental buildings,clinics,hospitals,etc you can see signs that prohibit smoking cigarettes but they also added vaping to the sign....so vaping is here to stay.

So yeah there won't be a ban happening,but tax on nic? yep that is a given,just a matter of when and not if.

Well, I'd have to say the Spaniards are just acting like normal politicians then. I don't know what has possessed the American politicians, left and right, but you'd think that vaping killed each and every one of their mothers. If they had mothers and weren't hatched by demons, that is. But speaking of demons, there is something possessed about the political world of America, and has been since Reagan left office, and it is only getting worse each year. Sneaking in a mail ban under the guise of a beneficial stimulus recovery bill is just everyday politics. No chance for people to voice objections. I'd better stop before I get sent to the OUTSIDE.

Look. We protested against many things. The Government in Europe does not give a damn about their citizen. All they care about is making as much money as they possibly can within the shortest amount of time.

• Agree
    Reactions: Javichu
    Good for you.

Not going to happen.

Agreed. Politicians in all of Europe do not care what citizens think. They care about their paycheck and their financial state, the rest is nothing to them! Seems like I will be making my own e-liquid from 2022/23 or 24!

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Anyone surprised by this would be considered naive by any standards.
    Governments need tax revenue.
    Tax on cigarettes is being lost so governments have two choices - tax everyone a little or tax vapers a bit more. Whilst there is still misinformation regarding the health aspects of vaping (nicotine in particular) then there is an opening for justifying penalising vapers.
    It's what i would do too if i were a soul-less, lying hypocrite ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread