Status
Not open for further replies.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
I got the Oceanus and am trying it out now. It is comparable to the Kanger subox in size and shape, just a tad taller to accommodate the battery. The Scion tank is nice and has good flavor on the installed triple coil .5 ohms. So far no leaks. The build deck is a nice size velocity style. I will be coiling and wicking it as soon as I burn out the factory coil. Nothing spectacular but a decent pocket set-up in a plain and simple VV/VW mod. Going good at 70 watts right now.

Thanks for the update, I am curious about the battery life, so after a few days would you let us know?
Also the RTA.
I'm real close to buying one :):):):)

thanks in advance

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Thanks for the update, I am curious about the battery life, so after a few days would you let us know?
Also the RTA.

thanks in advance
I will keep you posted. The RBA deck looks good. It's a nice size for an RBA. Easy Velocity style deck. I'm getting ready to build it now. I think I will like it better than the drop in coils. My only issue with the tank so far is the top fill. Screwing off the drip tip to fill can be difficult and I wonder how long the threads on the drip tip will hold up.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
If you're looking at the Coolfire, the 18650 model is the way to go. Since you're considering sub-ohm, the ability to to quickly swap in a fresh one will likely be a more pleasant experience than waiting hours for your mod to recharge.

@DavidOck I have the 18650 Coolfire and the battery life is god awful in my opinion. I rarely use it because of the terrible battery life. Maybe I got a lemon, but it does not compare with any other 18650 mod that I own, did I mention that the battery life on mine is horrible?:):):)

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
I recently got the Ultra and love it. Had it about a week and it lasts me all day plus. I use it at 70 watts with the Scion tank that I also love (ordered two more) with the .50 kanthal coil (which I ordered 3 packs of 3 each) until I can find a vendor with the RTA in stock.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
@DavidOck I have the 18650 Coolfire and the battery life is god awful in my opinion. I rarely use it because of the terrible battery life. Maybe I got a lemon, but it does not compare with any other 18650 mod that I own, did I mention that the battery life on mine is horrible?:):):)

I agree with you on the horrible battery life.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
I will keep you posted. The RBA deck looks good. It's a nice size for an RBA. Easy Velocity style deck. I'm getting ready to build it now. I think I will like it better than the drop in coils. My only issue with the tank so far is the top fill. Screwing off the drip tip to fill can be difficult and I wonder how long the threads on the drip tip will hold up.

I believe someone messed up because on the Coolfire Ultra/Scion kit that I bought it had an extra driptip in the box.
But I do agree on the threads possibly messing up.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
I agree with you on the horrible battery life.

I love Innokin products, but I won't buy another 18650 mod that they make. I found the Hunter for somewhere around 25 bucks online, and I like the looks of it, but I won't buy it because of my CF 18650.
Although I have been window shopping for the Oceanus:):)

Reactions: gofishtx
Pretty much all my friends who vape swear by external batteries. They all say that once the internal battery dies, the mod is a paperweight... That's true, but I've had my MVP for nearly two years and it still easily lasts me a whole day. Most phones have internal batteries too, but by the time they die, you'll probably get a new one. Also, I work in IT, at an office (or from home), so I can charge it if I need to. Not sure I want to carry spare batteries all the time, not to mention buying a charger for them. I have a lot to learn about external batteries first, and to be honest, they kind of freak me out. I'm sure subohming drains the battery faster, but I feel like I'll still MTL most of the time anyway.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Pretty much all my friends who vape swear by external batteries. They all say that once the internal battery dies, the mod is a paperweight... That's true, but I've had my MVP for nearly two years and it still easily lasts me a whole day. Most phones have internal batteries too, but by the time they die, you'll probably get a new one. Also, I work in IT, at an office (or from home), so I can charge it if I need to. Not sure I want to carry spare batteries all the time, not to mention buying a charger for them. I have a lot to learn about external batteries first, and to be honest, they kind of freak me out. I'm sure subohming drains the battery faster, but I feel like I'll still MTL most of the time anyway.

Internal battery mods do become paperweights once the battery dies, but I've always gotten great life from my Innokins.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
They all say that once the internal battery dies, the mod is a paperweight...

While our delayed Deeming won't directly affect you, you have some pretty onerous regs coming at you as well, iirc.

Replaceable battery mods give you a bit more "self-reliance" since you don't have to track down a possibly banned built in type.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I have to say that I have really been enjoying the Oceanus. It fits good in my hand and reminds me of holding my old Kanger Subox. One con is the placement of the screen on the side instead of on the front where the buttons are, but I'm sure once I get used to it, it wont be an issue. Also the wattage moves up or down in 5 watt increments, that is not an issue for me, but it may be for some. The finish seems durable, but only time will tell. Like I said before, it is a good simple device, perfect for someone just starting out or for an experienced vaper who just wants a decent power only mod. There are no bells and whistles here.
The Scion tank is a good tank with the factory coil, but I have so far not been able to wick the RBA where it doesn't leak. I'll play around a little when I am off work tomorrow and see if I can get it wicked to where it won't leak. The RBA section is big enough that it feels more like an RTA than an RBA, if it just had a better top fill method. Anyway those are my thoughts for now. Tomorrow will be the 1st day that I will be out and about using the Oceanus exclusively, so I can see how the battery life is, and then I will post up my results.

While our delayed Deeming won't directly affect you, you have some pretty onerous regs coming at you as well, iirc.

Replaceable battery mods give you a bit more "self-reliance" since you don't have to track down a possibly banned built in type.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. I wouldn't dare replace an internal battery. I would most likely buy a new mod before ever getting to that point.

• Agree
Reactions: whodat2112

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Not sure I understand what you mean here. I wouldn't dare replace an internal battery. I would most likely buy a new mod before ever getting to that point.

I meant trying to find a new MVP4, for example, if national or local laws wind up banning them. While it may be possible to source a new battery pack for a built-in type, yeah, changing is isn't for the faint of heart or for those with no experience soldering battery tabs!

But 18650s will be around for a long time, since they're also used in a lot of other consumer items.

I meant trying to find a new MVP4, for example, if national or local laws wind up banning them. While it may be possible to source a new battery pack for a built-in type, yeah, changing is isn't for the faint of heart or for those with no experience soldering battery tabs!

But 18650s will be around for a long time, since they're also used in a lot of other consumer items.

That's true. Something more to think about.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidOck

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Also the RTA.

thanks in advance
So after a few days of use I can report on the battery life. I am vaping at 70 watts on a .25 ohm Clapton coil. The coil fires right up with very little lag. The battery is lasting me a little more than a full day, not chain vaping, just regular out and about use. My Ijoy Capo with the 21700 battery seems to last a little longer but has slower ramp up time on the coil. Chain vaping at my desk the battery lasts about 6 hours. Decent enough for me and if I was using a higher ohm coil at 30 to 40 watts it would probably go 2 full days. I still love this little device and I haven't put it down since I got it:)

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
So after a few days of use I can report on the battery life. I am vaping at 70 watts on a .25 ohm Clapton coil. The coil fires right up with very little lag. The battery is lasting me a little more than a full day, not chain vaping, just regular out and about use. My Ijoy Capo with the 21700 battery seems to last a little longer but has slower ramp up time on the coil. Chain vaping at my desk the battery lasts about 6 hours. Decent enough for me and if I was using a higher ohm coil at 30 to 40 watts it would probably go 2 full days. I still love this little device and I haven't put it down since I got it:)

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: DavidOck

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Innokin Oceanus/Scion first impressions, I am biased because I am a big fan of Innokin products, but this mod is very nice. Solid, feels good in the hand. Seems to be very good quality, as all of my other Innokin products are. I built on the RTA because I am interested in purchasing more of them, and it was the easiest that I have ever built on , granted I haven't built on many different ones. But, no leaks, so far, and it is working fine. Gonna use the RTA for a few days and decide on buying more of them.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
I removed the included coils for the RTA (they were "braided/wrapped) I don't know what you call them. I used my kanthal and made new coils. Just wanted to see if I could, and how easy or difficult it would be. Easy peasy :)

I like my coils better. Using the steam engine calculator my dual coil setup came out at .53 ohms. 55 watts is perfect. Only down side is now I gotta order three more RTA heads. Mo money$$$$$ :):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread