Status
Not open for further replies.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
I don't know the specs on the cord. The ipv3 does not come with a charging cord even though it is able to be charged through the box. Without knowing the specs of the cord I have no idea where to buy one. If you get it figured out share the details as I am sure there are other members wondering this same thing. I would like to have one just to have even though I tend to replace batteries rather than trust the box as a charger.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@Fictitious Character

I've seen on reddit ppl saying its 9v / 1A but not sure where they are getting that information from also don't lay much trust in reddit.

That being said. Their is something to be said to being able to just plug a cable in at your desk rather then unscrewing and pulling the batteries feel you will lose those screws in time.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
@Fictitious Character

I've seen on reddit ppl saying its 9v / 1A but not sure where they are getting that information from also don't lay much trust in reddit.

That being said. Their is something to be said to being able to just plug a cable in at your desk rather then unscrewing and pulling the batteries feel you will lose those screws in time.
I had seen those specs as well but like you I am not sure where the info came from.

Sounds like you have the device in hand? If so congrats. Post up some pics and tell us your initial impressions.

Budkiss

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alabama
i have the box but NOT the cord. :(
I have heard 9volts 12 amps. Also heard 9 v 1a... so i dont know.
I looked everywhere but cant find one. I have asked P4Y for info and to buy one... no reply.
I heard an old nokia cord or gameboy charger works but scared to try.

I have some things i LIKE about the box but there are a few draw backs.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good day guys.

Ok got feedback from Denny Zhang of pioneer4you

He stated 6-9VDC at 1A would be food but 6V would take a long time (bit of broken english but thats what I took away from it)

With that being said I hit RadioShack and picked up

Enercell - 9VDC * 1500mA (AC-to-DC Compact power adapter)
The adaptaplug tip you need is a "H"

Photo Oct 09, 2 41 34 PM.jpg

Looks like it works fine.
Side note battery lights up green just for a few seconds and goes away.
Seems to be charging fine.

Not sure how many amps this unit could take but hoping 1500mA would be fine. I'll post back after a week of use and let you know how things are holding up.

Also build a little wood slide dock things, Still not done but functional.. Will pretty it up at some point.
Photo Oct 09, 10 56 11 AM.jpg
Photo Oct 09, 10 55 51 AM.jpg
Photo Oct 09, 10 44 31 AM.jpg

So basically i just slide it across the desk onto the charger, Again will pretty it up just wanted to get down the functionality (I'm no carpenter)

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Last edited:

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Isn't it easier just to pop in new batteries and charge the ones you took out on a battery charger? How long will it take the batteries to charge with this radio shack device? Sincere questions here. Not trying to be a smart ....

Totally good question, I have not fully tested it.

I have a Xtar battery charger, In which i can charge 2 batterys at 1A

Battery charge time goes by how many amps it can do. Also from what I learned from flashlight batties is if you charge them slower they will last longer. not sure if it holds the same with the batteries we use vaping.

That being said the radio shack charger is charging at 1.5a now thats more then the 1A charger I have but its also charging two batteries.

In my case it may charge a bit slower 500ma slower then if I put the batters into the charger it self. But not having to pull screws out and what not.. For me makes up for the convince. Now if they had magnets and not screws maybe be I would.

Takes 2 seconds to plug in, so think you will be prone to just plug it in when not using..

This is at least why I picked it up. And FYI still need the charger for the batteries for my Flagship mecmod at least their all not battling for the same charger.

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
Isn't it easier just to pop in new batteries and charge the ones you took out on a battery charger? How long will it take the batteries to charge with this radio shack device? Sincere questions here. Not trying to be a smart ....

I would think that all the unscrewing all the time would be a buzz kill, I can see the first "mod" of this thing is going to be magnetic door closure...

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Don't buy this charger yet

Hey guys,
Just sent Denny another email.
I based what to buy of his specs, Yesterday I was testing with full batteries and lit up green fine.

Today the display shows half charge, I plugged it in lit up green and turned off.
The instruction manual states is should light up RED indicating that it's charging.

I left it in for an hour and battery indicator is in the same position

I've sent an email to denny explain specifically what I bought and that it doesn't seem to be working correctly.
I'm not wondering if maybe it needs a firmware upgrade or something. or maybe the extra 500ma is not letting it work right. He did state 1A and I bought 1500ma = 1.5a

Any how if anyone was thinking of buying this hold off, I will post back here when I get feed back from them.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Just bought mine, I personally have no problem unscrewing the back to charge the batteries. 2x 18650's will easily last me the whole day (I only vape around 50-60 watts anyway), and I have another set of 18650's for my other box that I can very easily swap the batteries for. Also I switched the hex screws with the phillips head ones (those hex screws were AWFUL, I don't know why).

My issue with the IPV3 still is that the ohm reader is off (it says my .6 is a .3). I too thought maybe this could be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but idk. I think I have the latest firmware.

Also.. My IPV3 came with a charging cable. It's one of those micro-usb cables (just like the one I use to charge my Android phone). That said, I doubt I'm gonna use it, I'm probably just gonna swap out the batteries when I want to charge it up.

Last edited:

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
That's good because the IPV3 does not charge through the USB port. It has a seperate round charging port, high up on one side. Not sure where you got one while most people are waiting for theirs, but the USB is for software upgrades only. Just FYI so you don't try and charge it that way and possibly fry your mod.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's good because the IPV3 does not charge through the USB port. It has a seperate round charging port, high up on one side. Not sure where you got one while most people are waiting for theirs, but the USB is for software upgrades only. Just FYI so you don't try and charge it that way and possibly fry your mod.
Exactly right. also been stated, some people have mentioned maybe it was a type of calling it a charging cable. But its been clearly documented it does not charge through USB

Adrian Ludvik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Ocala, Florida, United States
Don't buy this charger yet

Hey guys,
Just sent Denny another email.
I based what to buy of his specs, Yesterday I was testing with full batteries and lit up green fine.

Today the display shows half charge, I plugged it in lit up green and turned off.
The instruction manual states is should light up RED indicating that it's charging.

I left it in for an hour and battery indicator is in the same position

I've sent an email to denny explain specifically what I bought and that it doesn't seem to be working correctly.
I'm not wondering if maybe it needs a firmware upgrade or something. or maybe the extra 500ma is not letting it work right. He did state 1A and I bought 1500ma = 1.5a

Any how if anyone was thinking of buying this hold off, I will post back here when I get feed back from them.

Hope you find the right one. Let us know. I got mine today and I'm loving it so far. I wanna just order a universal one from amazon but would rather not spend that much money when I could go to a thrift store or goodwill and search through a box to find one for dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread