IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
there are only two battery leads coming off the board and they feed back into the sx330 -- im a little surprized they didn't get a center tap to go in between the batteries.

This is interesting, So correct me if i'm wrong. The charging board is wired to the sx330 and from their to the battery.
So maybe it is a firmware thing with the sx330 .. who knows...

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
The batteries in this, and some other high watt regulated mods, are in series. Charging series batteries is not as easy or safe as charging a single battery or multiple batteries in parallel.

This I didn't know. Just talking general principles here. Yeah, the RC folks use balance chargers for multiple cells. I would be, frankly, afraid to try to charge in the unit with this configuration. Yeah, I have no trust.

I believe he posted a little whole ago, and stated he was going to leave it plugged in tonight (Oct, 12) and see what happens.

I hope that what happens is not a lithium fire. (He did write "overnight".) Sorry, not meaning to be alarmist, but if you are suspecting a faulty charger, then please use a charging bag, and don't leave it unattended.

BTW, I have a V1 on order, and my intent is to keep using my Pila charger, and swap batteries, even if it's a bit of a pain.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I hope that what happens is not a lithium fire. (He did write "overnight".) Sorry, not meaning to be alarmist, but if you are suspecting a faulty charger, then please use a charging bag, and don't leave it unattended.

Hey that's a good point Whistle_Pig -- I don't have a charging bag but I'll leave it out in the mud room ontop on concrete away from everything else just in case -- thanks for posting that man.

It's only 19:30 here so it will be a while longer before I head to bed -- I will update you guys before I start work if possible -- if not I should be able to post an update by lunch at the latest.

@tfraley -- yeah the only connections to the batteries themselves are two really large wires that go to the top/bottom of the SX330 -- the connection from the charger is like 26aug'ish wire that goes to the center of the SX330 -- it could very well be a firmware issue that will be fixed in the future since the SX330 is in between the charging board and the batteries. Good point man. I'll keep my finger crossed :)

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Ahh well check this out if you haven't already --
IPV3 ... A closer look.
Started by WeirdWillie, in Variable Voltage APV Discussion

Looks like it's not going to work -- so lets hope its something they will fix later.

Overall I'm still pretty happy with the IPV3 -- it has lasted me all day without a battery swap which I haven;t had the luxury of in a long time.

I'll still give it a go -- but from WeirdWillie's testing I'm not going to count on it doing anything overnight.

He took some pictures too if you're interested in seeing the insides without removing the hologram sticker ;)

Bean72

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Ahh well check this out if you haven't already --
IPV3 ... A closer look.
Started by WeirdWillie, in Variable Voltage APV Discussion

Looks like it's not going to work -- so lets hope its something they will fix later.

Overall I'm still pretty happy with the IPV3 -- it has lasted me all day without a battery swap which I haven;t had the luxury of in a long time.

I'll still give it a go -- but from WeirdWillie's testing I'm not going to count on it doing anything overnight.

He took some pictures too if you're interested in seeing the insides without removing the hologram sticker ;)

After reading that thread, I'm starting to think that Pioneer4You didn't include the charge cable not because they didn't factor the cost of the cable into the total price of the unit, but because the device wasn't able to charge in the first place.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
After reading that thread, I'm starting to think that Pioneer4You didn't include the charge cable not because they didn't factor the cost of the cable into the total price of the unit, but because the device wasn't able to charge in the first place.

But then why include the circuit board and the jack at all?

I agree with WeirdWillie. Rush job. And for what? To chase some gawdawful pointless wattage level? The mind boggles.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA

I hope not. It seems that they might of ditched the touch sensor to make room for the charger port placement, so if neither thing is working then what the heck was the point.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
Mine IPV3 should be here thursday. I am glad I read up on this thread before I got mine. Has anyone drilled the holes out ,and put in magnets, like the video showed in the earlier pages?

Also, have any of you experienced the rda catching on fire at high wattage's like some of the youtube videos have shown? Is there a way to prevent this? Is it the type of build?

Last edited:

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
Mine IPV3 should be here thursday. I am glad I read up on this thread before I got mine. Has anyone drilled the holes out ,and put in magnets, like the video showed in the earlier pages?

Also, have any of you experienced the rda catching on fire at high wattage's like some of the youtube videos have shown? Is there a way to prevent this? Is it the type of build?
That would only happen if you were dumb enough to try and vape at that high of wattage, personally I can't see a practical use of over 40w for vaping, that is unless you want it to double as a fire starter for your fireplace.
Have you ever tried to vape at 30/40/50 watts ? 30 watts is about as much as I can handle 40/50 watts is way too hot of a vape for me 100/150 watts would literally scald your tonsil, yeah 100/150/180 watts sounds cool, but honestly if you try and vape at that you're most likely going to get hurt.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
That would only happen if you were dumb enough to try and vape at that high of wattage, personally I can't see a practical use of over 40w for vaping, that is unless you want it to double as a fire starter for your fireplace.
Have you ever tried to vape at 30/40/50 watts ? 30 watts is about as much as I can handle 40/50 watts is way too hot of a vape for me 100/150 watts would literally scald your tonsil, yeah 100/150/180 watts sounds cool, but honestly if you try and vape at that you're most likely going to get hurt.

I owned the ipv2 and vaped at 50 watts on occasions and never had a problem with it.

I saw a YouTube video today about a guy testing the ipv3 out with multi meters and such and it shows that the unit itself is very inaccurate. I can't wait to get mine but keep reading/watching constant negativity about them. Not to mention your review of the inside components.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
I owned the ipv2 and vaped at 50 watts on occasions and never had a problem with it.

I saw a YouTube video today about a guy testing the ipv3 out with multi meters and such and it shows that the unit itself is very inaccurate. I can't wait to get mine but keep reading/watching constant negativity about them. Not to mention your review of the inside components.
It's a decent box mod, that had potential to be a great box mod.
Had everything that it was supposed to do, did what it was supposed to do, it would be a top tier mod, next to the upcoming DNA40.
as far as accuracy my unit is within acceptable tolerances resistance reads within .005 of what I measured, and the wattage is within couple watts that I measured, and the voltage was proportional to the wattage meaning give or take a couple tenths of a volt compared to the wattage applied.
At least that was my findings with the unit I have, but knowing what I know about chinese electronics and their consistent use of inferior components could cause a wide variety adverse readings from one unit to the next, I cant wait to put the DNA40 threw some rigorous testing.
You have to remember I am an electrical engineer, and a professor of electrical engineering and I have equipment available to me that most people and manufacturers will never even see.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
It's a decent box mod, that had potential to be a great box mod.
Had everything that it was supposed to do, did what it was supposed to do, it would be a top tier mod, next to the upcoming DNA40.
as far as accuracy my unit is within acceptable tolerances resistance reads within .005 of what I measured, and the wattage is within couple watts that I measured, and the voltage was proportional to the wattage meaning give or take a couple tenths of a volt compared to the wattage applied.
At least that was my findings with the unit I have, but knowing what I know about chinese electronics and their consistent use of inferior components could cause a wide variety adverse readings from one unit to the next, I cant wait to put the DNA40 threw some rigorous testing.
You have to remember I am an electrical engineer, and a professor of electrical engineering and I have equipment available to me that most people and manufacturers will never even see.

Thanks for the reply and that is awesome that you have the ability to test these things with high end equipment. I appreciate you sharing your findings. I find that I will love and enjoy the ipv3 a lot. I just wish they would have done magnets on the back. I am going to wait until someone has successfully put magnets on their ipv3 and see how they like it, before I start drilling on mine.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
putting magnets on is trivial, in fact having screws are not an issue for me, except for the fact that there would be no need to remove the screws once the batteries are installed if the on-board charging worked as advertised, why release something you knew wasn't fully operational, unless it is about bake as much money as you can as fast as you can, fact is the 150w option is just a firmware update for the sx330 chipset that was original designed as a 35w, yeah perhaps they changed a few diods, resisters or capacitors, but the root architecture hasn't changed, and I know for a fact it hasn't changed since they came out at 60w.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey guys,

I've seen those video's as well with atty flaming up.
If their is no juice things will flame up, the fact is the juice burns off really fast at those high wattages. Even if you could control the heat in your atty you would still burn the juice fast and if your not paying attention yha flame up.

This is my first box mod and I am really enjoying how the difference wattages plays a big part in taste.

My current build is a 24g .198-.199, The IPV3 seems to round it to .2 keep in mind the display of the IPV3 only shows X.X readings.
Also needs to be fired once to pull the readings. i.e. can just throw the atty on and get them you need to hit the button. You can do this real quickly, just so you guys know

Also what is annoying with the battery changing thing is you lose your memory settings. Not a huge things but at $150+ you kinda expect everything to work as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread