IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xibxang

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Scotland
Mine was working fine last night after the update, but all day today my ohm reading has been jumping around very many times from 1.33-2.20 ohms and half the time this is giving me a burnt hit cuz it's adjusting the voltage each time. Quite annoying

This is actually a known glitch that's been around since before the update. It's just now that you have an extra decimal place in the resistance readout that it's easier to notice. It's basically down to the resistance of your coils being too close to 0.15. It causes the resistance value on your iPV3 to get jumpy, especially on coils that have more mass. Earlier this evening, I built a dual coil that came in at 0.18 ohms and it's running just fine. My resistance reading wanders between 0.17 and 0.19 ohms (the temperature of my coils also factor into this) but it's vaping just fine.

And yeah, the 165 watt update was supposed to lower the usable resistance value to 0.08 ohms. Go figure.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
This is actually a known glitch that's been around since before the update. It's just now that you have an extra decimal place in the resistance readout that it's easier to notice. It's basically down to the resistance of your coils being too close to 0.15. It causes the resistance value on your iPV3 to get jumpy, especially on coils that have more mass. Earlier this evening, I built a dual coil that came in at 0.18 ohms and it's running just fine. My resistance reading wanders between 0.17 and 0.19 ohms (the temperature of my coils also factor into this) but it's vaping just fine.

And yeah, the 165 watt update was supposed to lower the usable resistance value to 0.08 ohms. Go figure.

Did you read my ohm variation 1.3-2.2 ohms . Jumped up to 8 ohms today. It only does this on my Lemo tank.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
There seems to be some confusion in series vs parallel charging of Li cells. If series charging the charger must be able to measure voltage and adjust voltage to each cell separately. Most chargers capable of charging series batteries do so by being able to cut the charge voltage from the high reading cell until the low reading cell catches up if the differential between voltage reaches a certain point, and then resume charging both cells once voltage becomes equal again. Without monitoring and adjusting charge voltage, per cell, there is a high risk of overcharge and venting. If parallel charging this does not apply since the batteries (assuming in reasonable condition) will charge as a single cell and will self equalize during charge.

Since the IPV3 is a series battery connection it would either have to be able to monitor and control the charge voltage to each cell separately which is the more expensive route, or it would have to charge them as parallel batteries... even though the device will use the batteries in series during operation. This would be quite possible, but I have no idea if P4Y wired their charging circuit this way, but it would certainly work just fine and be less expensive for charging circuitry.

If they were charging in series without cell monitoring and control, well that would be bad. Very bad.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
There seems to be some confusion in series vs parallel charging of Li cells. If series charging the charger must be able to measure voltage and adjust voltage to each cell separately. Most chargers capable of charging series batteries do so by being able to cut the charge voltage from the high reading cell until the low reading cell catches up if the differential between voltage reaches a certain point, and then resume charging both cells once voltage becomes equal again. Without monitoring and adjusting charge voltage, per cell, there is a high risk of overcharge and venting. If parallel charging this does not apply since the batteries (assuming in reasonable condition) will charge as a single cell and will self equalize during charge.

Since the IPV3 is a series battery connection it would either have to be able to monitor and control the charge voltage to each cell separately which is the more expensive route, or it would have to charge them as parallel batteries... even though the device will use the batteries in series during operation. This would be quite possible, but I have no idea if P4Y wired their charging circuit this way, but it would certainly work just fine and be less expensive for charging circuitry.

If they were charging in series without cell monitoring and control, well that would be bad. Very bad.

this has already been settled -- the batteries are in series in the ipv3 and there is no balance charging.. apparently pioneer 4 you now agrees its risky to use like this -- they have started blocking the charging port with a CA attached silver plug -- i ordered a second ipv3 that just arrived -- it arrived with the charger port plugged -- but charger board was still behind the plug on my new one.

you cant balance charge or charge in paralell when there are only two wires coming off the battery bay -- it would require 3 wires from the batteries to the charger for either scenario when charging two batteries.

switching the battery configuration to charge them is a problem plagued and lossy scenario -- you either have to have extra power transistors always in line with the battery output (looses power to heat constantly) or you need a relay (mechanical switches break and are large and expensive when rated for current)

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
ummm this has already been settled -- the batteries are in series in the ipv3 and there is no balance charging.. apparently pioneer 4 you now agrees its risky to use like this -- they have started blocking the charging port with a CA attached silver plug -- i ordered a second ipv3 that just arrived -- it arrived with the charger port plugged -- but charger board was still behind the plug on my new one.

Judging by recent post with confusion about charging methods, this is not settled. People seem to have significant misunderstanding of charging methods. My post was a simple clarification for those who don't understand the charging dynamics between parallel and serial charging. Within the last couple of pages you will see some very wrong statements about charging which could lead to dangerous results on any charging device.

Also, it has always been clear that the IPV3 fires in serial voltage mode. That has never been a question. But has anyone verified that it charges in serial voltage mode? It is not required to charge in serial mode even if it fires in serial mode. As I pointed out, it would be cheaper and safer to wire the charging circuit in parallel charging mode... which is totally independent of the firing mode. It is an easy assumption that it charges in the same mode that it fires, but I have seen no evidence by anyone either way which is why I posted the possibility. And like I said, I'm not sure which way it charges and I have seen absolutely no indication by P4Y or anyone else regarding this.

I must have missed a post that showed the charging method (not the firing method) and would appreciate the link where you saw this information in regards to serial charging and no individual cell monitoring.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Judging by recent post with confusion about charging methods, this is not settled. People seem to have significant misunderstanding of charging methods. My post was a simple clarification for those who don't understand the charging dynamics between parallel and serial charging. Within the last couple of pages you will see some very wrong statements about charging which could lead to dangerous results on any charging device.

Also, it has always been clear that the IPV3 fires in serial voltage mode. That has never been a question. But has anyone verified that it charges in serial voltage mode? It is not required to charge in serial mode even if it fires in serial mode. As I pointed out, it would be cheaper and safer to wire the charging circuit in parallel charging mode... which is totally independent of the firing mode. It is an easy assumption that it charges in the same mode that it fires, but I have seen no evidence by anyone either way which is why I posted the possibility. And like I said, I'm not sure which way it charges and I have seen absolutely no indication by P4Y or anyone else regarding this.

I must have missed a post that showed the charging method (not the firing method) and would appreciate the link where you saw this information in regards to serial charging and no individual cell monitoring.

check for a thread called ipv3 a closer look it has pictures of the inside that show only two wires coming from the charge board to the center of the sx330 -- then only two wires coming off the battery bay to the top and bottom of the sx330 -- no electronics around the battery bay.

I had mine apart within a couple hours of it arriving too,. also i added some details about the idea of changing the battery configuration to charge them -- its not really a good option either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread