IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
I got one of these pioneer4you chargers. It is strangely large. It is 9v 2A. I tried it last night. Battery meter was about down to 1/4. It charged up after 2.5 hours. I really don't know why I got it. I have two sets of new batteries for this thing, and I am fine with charging them with my regular charger.

You know I think everyone got their panties in a bunch because it did not come with a charging cable. A regular charger that does not overcharge or undercharge batteries to me is better than trusting the P4Y charger. Just to have the convenience of not removing some screws .....I have too many sets of batteries what 45 sec tops,

mv2envy

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I used my P4Y charger last night. Cells were almost all the way drained. After about 2.5 hours the green light turned off. I removed the batteries and tested the voltage with a multimeter and each cell was at 4.18V. I'll do another test tonight.

And on another note, it's not about not wanting to remove the batteries or being lazy, for me it's about how annoying it is loosing the M1-M5 wattage settings every time and having to readjust it.

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
I used my P4Y charger last night. Cells were almost all the way drained. After about 2.5 hours the green light turned off. I removed the batteries and tested the voltage with a multimeter and each cell was at 4.18V. I'll do another test tonight.

And on another note, it's not about not wanting to remove the batteries or being lazy, for me it's about how annoying it is loosing the M1-M5 wattage settings every time and having to readjust it.

Ok.... so you would rather use a charger that may not charge correctly than remember 5 settings..to each his own. I have a few set but I go by pleasure of vape anyway.

lot17ss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Columbus,Ohio Usa
Just think how many people are buying these chargers that P4u endorses. They say you can charge with it. So people are going to use it. Guys what is the problem here? Don't blame the consumer for using a product as advertised. Blame P4U for allowing a charging port and selling a charger that is dangerous!

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
Just think how many people are buying these chargers that P4u endorses. They say you can charge with it. So people are going to use it. Guys what is the problem here? Don't blame the consumer for using a product as advertised. Blame P4U for allowing a charging port and selling a charger that is dangerous!
I totally agree.

On a side note, I finally decided to take my screws out and charge my first batteries after using this device. Now, these 2 VTC5 that I have in my IPV3 were bought at the same time, and only used once in this device. So consider them married. Now, after I threw them on my charger, the first battery was done charging, at 1amp, within 1.5 hours. My second battery has been on the charger for 2 hours longer, than the first, and its still not done charging....What this means is, that the IPV3 is not effectively using both the batteries as it should...No way I would use the P4U charger, or any other charger for the IPV3....please remember to be safe.

Totally love this device though.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I totally agree.

On a side note, I finally decided to take my screws out and charge my first batteries after using this device. Now, these 2 VTC5 that I have in my IPV3 were bought at the same time, and only used once in this device. So consider them married. Now, after I threw them on my charger, the first battery was done charging, at 1amp, within 1.5 hours. My second battery has been on the charger for 2 hours longer, than the first, and its still not done charging....What this means is, that the IPV3 is not effectively using both the batteries as it should...No way I would use the P4U charger, or any other charger for the IPV3....please remember to be safe.

Totally love this device though.
I think something is being missed here, a single cell is a cell and two or more cells is a battery. When in a series and if both cells as in this case are not fully charged at the same time it is because one of them has a higher MAH than the other, in other words they may be both "married" but are not equal.
I agree that the charger should be a balanced charger (good example above) but the above also indicates the the two above batteries are not equal.
Also what type of charger and how many bays as placement in a Nitecore I4 for example affects charging rate?

Last edited:

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I think something is being missed here, a single cell is a cell and two or more cells is a battery. When in a series and if both cells in this case are not fully charged at the same time it is because one of them has a higher MAH (weaker) than the other, in other words they may be both "married" but are not equal.
I agree that the charger should be a balanced charger (good example above) but the above also indicates the the two above batteries are not equal.

Thats the thing, both batteries were bought/charged at the same time.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Hahaha okay, you're entitled to your own opinion.
Sorry not an opinion.

Here is an example of how the charging time could be different on a Nitecore I-4 and perhaps other multi-bay chargers:
Lets say you put your two married batteries in bay #1 & 2 and place another battery that needs charging in Bay # 4
Bay # 1 will charge at approx. 750 mah while batteries in bays #2 & 4 will split the 750 mah (325 mah each) resulting in greatly different charging times. Just an example mind you.

Looks like my math is faulty, should read 375 mah each when charging two cells in the same channel.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Okay thanks for sharing. But in a two slot battery charger, they should charge equally.

Correct...
That is why I say the batteries are not. Note the next time that you charge them with the stand alone charger to see if charging times are different.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Ya, in my above post, the second battery took 2 hours longer to charge

If it were me I would label the batteries so you can switch bays on the charger to see if situation reverses.
On all my batteries I have that are paired I have never seen any more than a minute or so between charging times between them.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
If it were me I would label the batteries so you can switch bays on the charger to see if situation reverses.
On all my batteries I have that are paired I have never seen any more than a minute or so between charging times between them.

Thanks for the tip and yes I have them labeled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread