Not open for further replies.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
I totally agree.

On a side note, I finally decided to take my screws out and charge my first batteries after using this device. Now, these 2 VTC5 that I have in my IPV3 were bought at the same time, and only used once in this device. So consider them married. Now, after I threw them on my charger, the first battery was done charging, at 1amp, within 1.5 hours. My second battery has been on the charger for 2 hours longer, than the first, and its still not done charging....What this means is, that the IPV3 is not effectively using both the batteries as it should...No way I would use the P4U charger, or any other charger for the IPV3....please remember to be safe.

Totally love this device though.

To the best of my knowledge mine charge at the same rate and are done charging at very near the same time using an i4 charger.

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
I have charged 2 pairs of married batteries that I have used in my IPV3 over the last month, numerous times. I use a nitecore i4. Both finish charging within minutes of each other. I have observed them doing this while working in the same room. I have to agree that it seems one of your batteries is charging weird.

HD

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I have charged 2 pairs of married batteries that I have used in my IPV3 over the last month, numerous times. I use a nitecore i4. Both finish charging within minutes of each other. I have observed them doing this while working in the same room. I have to agree that it seems one of your batteries is charging weird.

HD

Ya, I will have to figure this out....

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
I think something is being missed here, a single cell is a cell and two or more cells is a battery. When in a series and if both cells as in this case are not fully charged at the same time it is because one of them has a higher MAH than the other, in other words they may be both "married" but are not equal.
I agree that the charger should be a balanced charger (good example above) but the above also indicates the the two above batteries are not equal.
Also what type of charger and how many bays as placement in a Nitecore I4 for example affects charging rate?

I check my batteries that I use in a parallel box mod(married) and the ones I use in the IPV3 ( used in other mods and the IPV3) .When I remove them to charge (IPV3)they read the same volts or +-.01 .Now a parallel box mod yes one battery will be different if you don't switch them in the bays as they are used. If after charging batteries with the cable and the two are different it's not the batteries not being equal it's the charger. To get better life out of your batteries to me would be just use a regular charger, forget this IPV charger. I only use Xtar chargers now. "XTAR or Efest is a good brand but XTAR is better of the 2. Sony batteries do well at .5 to 1 amp charge. And intellichargers are junk. (opinion based on lots of research and feedback, its a 1.5 amp global charger. In other words with 4 batteries in the charger it only charges at .375 amps per channel [.375Amp multiplied by 4=1.5amps] , even my little USB XTAR MC1 can do .5 amps, also the AC/DC conversion is inside the charger instead of externally with a wall adapter that is separate from the unit, this means it will produce more heat when actually you want the heat to be as far away from the battery as possible"

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
That would only happen if you were dumb enough to try and vape at that high of wattage, personally I can't see a practical use of over 40w for vaping, that is unless you want it to double as a fire starter for your fireplace.
Have you ever tried to vape at 30/40/50 watts ? 30 watts is about as much as I can handle 40/50 watts is way too hot of a vape for me 100/150 watts would literally scald your tonsil, yeah 100/150/180 watts sounds cool, but honestly if you try and vape at that you're most likely going to get hurt.

I got my IPV3 and I'm vaping it right now at 120 watts, no scalding tonsils, no burnt juice, no pain at all. Now if you try that with a single coil, you're gonna get hurt. Additional coils split the wattage. I have my Poseidon atomizer built with quad coils at .14 ohms. That would be 4 .56 ohm coils. At 120 watts, each coil is getting 30 watts of power, so it is the equivalent heat per coil of 30 watts on a .56 ohm coil. Dual or single coils are gonna be a horrible vape at that level, but quads make for a very nice vape at 100 to 120 watts.

As per your numbers, I can confirm (not with your level of accuracy because I don't have access to your level of equipment) that the device is pretty accurate. It is reading atomizers accurately and, using ohms law calculator, putting out the correct voltage to achieve the desired wattage.

Now, I came here to check on a charger cable but I might just keep using my charger after reading all of this. lol

Nach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
jazco.net
I totally agree.

On a side note, I finally decided to take my screws out and charge my first batteries after using this device. Now, these 2 VTC5 that I have in my IPV3 were bought at the same time, and only used once in this device. So consider them married. Now, after I threw them on my charger, the first battery was done charging, at 1amp, within 1.5 hours. My second battery has been on the charger for 2 hours longer, than the first, and its still not done charging....What this means is, that the IPV3 is not effectively using both the batteries as it should...No way I would use the P4U charger, or any other charger for the IPV3....please remember to be safe.

Totally love this device though.

I take my batteries out every time I hit the Low Battery! warning. I then meter them and they have consistently come out to 3.1V each. This falls in line with the specs of the board. I too keep a set of identical twins for any device using batteries in series.

Nach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
jazco.net
The i4 works like this for those who need clarification:

Bays 1 & 3 as well as 2 & 4 are linked.

Both those pairs of linked bays can output a maximum of 750mA.

If one battery is in the linked bay, it'll get 750mA.

If two batteries are in the linked bay, they'll get 375mA.

A maximum of two batteries may be charged at 750mA at one time.

Only two or four batteries may be charged at 375mA.

I hope that clears things up for the Nitecore i4

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
The i4 works like this for those who need clarification:

Bays 1 & 3 as well as 2 & 4 are linked.

Both those pairs of linked bays can output a maximum of 750mA.

If one battery is in the linked bay, it'll get 750mA.

If two batteries are in the linked bay, they'll get 375mA.

A maximum of two batteries may be charged at 750mA at one time.

Only two or four batteries may be charged at 375mA.

I hope that clears things up for the Nitecore i4

Let me add a bit to this, above tells why if one is to charge AAA, AA NiMh/NiCad cells they must be charged in pairs and in the same channel. Otherwise the charging current will be too high if charging one cell in a channel. I choose the Nitecore I-4 because of it's ability to charge multiple type of batteries.

Nach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
jazco.net
Let me add a bit to this, above tells why if one is to charge AAA, AA NiMh/NiCad cells they must be charged in pairs and in the same channel. Otherwise the charging current will be too high if charging one cell in a channel. I choose the Nitecore I-4 because of it's ability to charge multiple type of batteries.

The Nitecores are intelligent chargers in the sense that they will detect the chemistry of your battery and automatically select the appropriate algorithm to charge. Now, in the case of the i4, I would agree that if you have a 1.5v battery that needs to be charged, that the entire linked bays (1&3 or 2&4) would have to switch voltage.

Brandon3000

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
Chicago
I wouldn't trust a cable to charge these batteries even if they provided one with the device.
My solution to the issue? I took the screws out, and put little magnets where the screw holes used to be, so that juice could not seep in. I then put Velcro on the four corners of the inside of the device and the back plate. When I need to charge batteries, simply pull the back plate off, take batteries out, throw them in the charger.
much safer. much more convenient. no dealing with screws. Very simple project for less than $10 bucks from home depot.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I wouldn't trust a cable to charge these batteries even if they provided one with the device.
My solution to the issue? I took the screws out, and put little magnets where the screw holes used to be, so that juice could not seep in. I then put Velcro on the four corners of the inside of the device and the back plate. When I need to charge batteries, simply pull the back plate off, take batteries out, throw them in the charger.
much safer. much more convenient. no dealing with screws. Very simple project for less than $10 bucks from home depot.

Can you post pics cuz I want to do this.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
OK, here's my first non scientific experiment with the recommended charger from bought from Eciggity.

I have 2 mxjo 2500mah 35a batteries in my IPV3 batch #L0621 bought from VapeRoyalty.com. I ran them all the way down to the cutoff. I checked the voltage with a multi-meter and they read #1 3.17v #2 3.18v respectively.

I started charging at 730pm with the voltages at #1 3.17v #2 3.18v

At 830pm I pulled them out and they read #1 3.61v #2 3.61v.

I repeated the process several more times and the results were....

@930pm #1 3.74v #2 3.74v.
@1053pm #1 4.02v #2 4.02v.
@1151pm #1 4.17v #2 4.17v and finally
@1214am the red led went off and the final reading was
#1 4.18v #2 4.18v.

Take from this what you will but for something that supposedly doesn't have balanced charging the batteries sure were balanced thru out the charging process. I plan to rerun this process at some point to see if the results match up.

Last edited:

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
OK, here's my first non scientific experiment with the recommended charger from bought from Eciggity.

I have 2 mxjo 2500mah 35a batteries in my IPV3 batch #L0621 bought from VapeRoyalty.com. I ran them all the way down to the cutoff. I checked the voltage with a multi-meter and they read #1 3.17v #2 3.18v respectively.

I started charging at 730pm with the voltages at #1 3.17v #2 3.18v

At 830pm I pulled them out and they read #1 3.61v #2 3.61v.

I repeated the process several more times and the results were....

@930pm #1 3.74v #2 3.74v.
@1053pm #1 4.02v #2 4.02v.
@1151pm #1 4.17v #2 4.17v and finally
@1214am the red led went off and the final reading was
#1 4.18v #2 4.18v.

Take from this what you will but for something that supposedly doesn't have balanced charging the batteries sure were balanced thru out the charging process. I plan to rerun this process at some point to see if the results match up.

Thanks so much for thst, please keep us updated because if this is true I'll be buying one.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
OK, here's my test #2 with the recommended charger from bought from Eciggity.

This time I ran them down until the battery icon was empty but still not at the cutoff. I checked the voltage with a multi-meter and they read #1 3.20v #2 3.18v respectively.

I started charging at 930pm with the voltages at #1 3.20v #2 3.18v

At 1030pm I pulled them out and they read #1 3.59v #2 3.59v.

Once again I repeated the process several more times and the results were....

@1130pm #1 3.69v #2 3.69v.
@1230am #1 3.90v #2 3.90v.
@130am #1 4.11v #2 4.11v and finally
@227am the red led went off and the final reading was #1 4.17v #2 4.17v.

The results from both tests matched up for the most part. The main thing is both batteries charged at the same rate and finished charging at the same voltage. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about batteries or the IPV3 but to me it looks like using the recommended charger works like it's supposed to. Use at your own risk as always.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
When both batteries charge to the voltage that they should there is no problem with charging two or more cells in a series.
But if one of the cells, for example, will only charge to around 4 volts( aged, defective, ect.) the charger will continue charging and the other cell(s) stands a chance to be over charged resulting in shortened battery life or worse.

Last edited:

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
OK, here's my test #2 with the recommended charger from bought from Eciggity.

This time I ran them down until the battery icon was empty but still not at the cutoff. I checked the voltage with a multi-meter and they read #1 3.20v #2 3.18v respectively.

I started charging at 930pm with the voltages at #1 3.20v #2 3.18v

At 1030pm I pulled them out and they read #1 3.59v #2 3.59v.

Once again I repeated the process several more times and the results were....

@1130pm #1 3.69v #2 3.69v.
@1230am #1 3.90v #2 3.90v.
@130am #1 4.11v #2 4.11v and finally
@227am the red led went off and the final reading was #1 4.17v #2 4.17v.

The results from both tests matched up for the most part. The main thing is both batteries charged at the same rate and finished charging at the same voltage. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about batteries or the IPV3 but to me it looks like using the recommended charger works like it's supposed to. Use at your own risk as always.
Thanks so much for posting this. I was very against the IPV3 charger at first, because others stated it did not have balance charging, but by your tests, it seems like it does. I will be purchasing this charger from eciggity, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread