The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

IPV3 Charger?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by tfraley, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. erickim55

erickim55 Full Member

May 15, 2013
    USA
    "Hello, we're doing a voluntary recall on the iPV3 Charger because there might be issues with customers not knowing about battery safety. This is a voluntary recall on our part and Pioneer4You haven't officially done a recall yet. The new versions of the iPV3 have their charging port blocked so they will not be able to be charged using the port anymore. To use the charger you must "marry" the 2 batteries together. Basically use those same 2 batteries every time and do not swap out other batteries for them. Also you must rotate the batteries by putting them on opposite parts of each other. We recommend doing this every time you need to recharge. There has NOT been any incidents yet, but we wanted to take precautions so we did a voluntary recall on our part."

2. dwcraig1

dwcraig1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I want to hear more on why they should be rotated when they are in fact in a series.

3. wrice4

wrice4 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    I don't truly think its "that" big of a deal, but I think the answer to this is that: Just in case 1 battery drains or charges faster than another, it would wear out faster. So by rotating the batteries, on each charge, each battery has the exact same usage as the other. Just a "safer" way of getting both batteries more perfectly balanced at the same voltages.

4. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    If this is a "voluntary recall" for uneducated battery users, then people that know about battery safety shouldn't be worried. Can anyone specify if Eciggity is truly recalling because the charger is unsafe, or if this is for the uneducated battery users as well...? If this is just for a liability reason, for Eciggity, and the charger is not the problem, I am not returning mine as I know about battery safety, and use mine wisely.

5. tehdarkaura

tehdarkaura Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    CO
    i think you may have missed the point, rotating them does absolutely nothing. they are in series -- one battery doesn`t draw more than the other - regardless of being first or second in series.

the voltage differential will not change based on order -- and they will not charge differently based on order. what goes through one battery must also go through the other in series.

there will always be small differences in batteries (mah capacity) -- even by same mfg and in the same batch. this is what causes the voltage drift -- and the only way to actually fix it is to balance charge them.

i think the text on the eciggity page was put there by someone who probably has good intentions, but doesn`t truely understand the issue or how to fix it. that and it sounds a whole lot better than telling people they need to pull them out and measure voltages or actually balance them occasionally.

6. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    Well put and I agree. I was thinking of parallel batteries.

7. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    I have conducted multiple tests with my charger and it works fine and performs like it should. The only "safety" issue eciggity is worried about, like you and others have mentioned, is a liability issue. People that don't know about battery safety/charging safety, using series batteries, can do dangerous things and as a result, can point the finger back on the company that sold them the charger. I will not be returning my charger but will still do tests every other time I charge and monitor voltages.

8. Arel3

Arel3 Full Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Are you sure it regulates it and do you know what the minimum amperage is? Due to the posts in this thread it seems the minimum amps is above 1.5?

9. Stownz

Stownz Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
  10. Stownz

Stownz Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    Is pulling two screws and swapping battery's every 6 hours that big of a deal to everyone?

We have people adding magnets so it's easier to loose their door in some god forsaken place.
    We have people dropping money on junk chargers at radio shack instead of using their high end external home chargers
    We have people getting all worked up that there is a port, and they can't charge with it.

I just don't get it. It's two screws, lol

11. Fictitious Character

Fictitious Character Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    USA
    I never purchased a charger as I do not find it to be a big deal to swap them every other day but with Eciggity's recall on the charger and the latest models being plugged I am increasing more skeptical about the safety of the inbox charging altogether.

12. Nach

Nach Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2012
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sidenote... Go update your firmware on your IPV3's! 165W, 0.08 ohms, and meters to the hundredths!

[​IMG]

13. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    Can you give steps to do this because I have never done and update on a device....where do you go to download it? Do you just download the file then plug the cable in?

Edit: Found the link: http://www.pioneer4you.com/article_cat.php?id=5

14. politbureau

politbureau Senior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Searched the thread and did not find any references to this, but the charger that I am using and have had great luck with so far (~20 recharges) is the one from an Atari Lynx.

This is a good quality class 2 transformer device with 9V 1A output, and has charged my batteries without issue. I've pulled my batteries after a full charge and stuck them in my Xtar VP4, and it has charged them for less than 2-3m before confirming that they are fully charged.

To be safe and protect the charging circuit, I only charge through the device when I am around to remove power once the cycle has completed and the light turns off.

15. Nach

Nach Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2012
    Chicagoland, USA
  16. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
  17. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    Mine was working fine last night after the update, but all day today my ohm reading has been jumping around very many times from 1.33-2.20 ohms and half the time this is giving me a burnt hit cuz it's adjusting the voltage each time. Quite annoying

18. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    Apparently I was having 510 connection issues with my Lemo, that was causing the variation.

19. jrose152

jrose152 Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I'm still afraid to use the charger and am sticking with my nitecore at the moment. Have we come to a decision as to what the deal is with it being safe or not? I'd hate to put my vtc5unicorns in danger.

20. wrice4

Jul 7, 2014
    Texas
    From what I have heard, there have been some cases where the soldering, on the xharging board, has been bad.....which made some units catch on fire, while using the charger. This is one of the main reasons for the recall. Remember, only a handful of these instances can happen and force a recall. I have had no issues with mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.