IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
So I just used my ipv3 charger for the first time and conducted tests just like VaporGlock. I pulled the batteries out every hour and tested both batteries on the volt meter. Both batteries charged equally at every hour and the red light went off after the entire charging cycle was complete. Both batteries ending voltages were 4.18 and 4.19. I will post the test numbers when I get home tonight.

This makes me feel safe using this charger. Although using a wall plug would be safer, I feel good about this charger and I do recommend it. Test results will be posted later.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
So I just used my ipv3 charger for the first time and conducted tests just like VaporGlock. I pulled the batteries out every hour and tested both batteries on the volt meter. Both batteries charged equally at every hour and the red light went off after the entire charging cycle was complete. Both batteries ending voltages were 4.18 and 4.19. I will post the test numbers when I get home tonight.

This makes me feel safe using this charger. Although using a wall plug would be safer, I feel good about this charger and I do recommend it. Test results will be posted later.

As long as you are pulling them and checking the voltage levels occasionally you will probably be fine. The danger comes when they start to drift from one another -- it wouldnt hurt to charge them normally every now and again too.

the idea of rotating them that I've seen mentioned does nothing, they still have the same differential despite the order in the series. Also, this isn't the type of failure that typically happens during a single charge, so I am not sure what this testing is telling you. the problem is some people are going to start treating it like a single piece and never look at the battery voltage levels, if they start to drift and the use of the mod/built in charger continues unchecked then its just a matter of time before something bad happens.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO

Glad to see our tests match up. Like I said on the weekends when there's nothing going on I'll check the batteries to make sure they are still charging equally. I believe that as long as you don't just throw some batteries in it and forget about testing then something bad will happen to someone eventually. Everyone's acting like this is a new thing. You should be checking and testing all your vaping batteries regularly.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
As long as you are pulling them and checking the voltage levels occasionally you will probably be fine. The danger comes when they start to drift from one another -- it wouldnt hurt to charge them normally every now and again too.

the idea of rotating them that I've seen mentioned does nothing, they still have the same differential despite the order in the series. Also, this isn't the type of failure that typically happens during a single charge, so I am not sure what this testing is telling you. the problem is some people are going to start treating it like a single piece and never look at the battery voltage levels, if they start to drift and the use of the mod/built in charger continues unchecked then its just a matter of time before something bad happens.

Very well said

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
Glad to see our tests match up. Like I said on the weekends when there's nothing going on I'll check the batteries to make sure they are still charging equally. I believe that as long as you don't just throw some batteries in it and forget about testing then something bad will happen to someone eventually. Everyone's acting like this is a new thing. You should be checking and testing all your vaping batteries regularly.

Yes! Vape on and be safe .

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
My testing, as promised:

Before charging I tested both battery voltages.

Initial - 12:35pm Left 3.39 Right 3.40
(1 hour in) 1:35pm Left 3.58 Right 3.58
(2 hours in) 2:35pm Left 3.68 Right 3.69
(3.5 hours in) 4:00pm Left 3.90 Right 3.91
(4.5 hours in) 5:00pm Left 4.15 Right 4.16
(5 hours in) 5:30pm Left 4.18 Right 4.19

The red light turned off after 5 hours of charging, and as you can see, both batteries are nearly at full capacity of 4.2volts. As this test, and VaporGlocks tests, it does seem this charger, and the IPV3 charing unit, balances charges correctly. I will be using this charger, even though I was against it in the past. I will probably pull my batteries after each 3 cycle charges with the charger, and check both batteries to make sure this is consistent. I am using VTC5 in my IPV3, and I got the charger from Eciggity.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
My testing, as promised:

Before charging I tested both battery voltages.

Initial - 12:35pm Left 3.39 Right 3.40
(1 hour in) 1:35pm Left 3.58 Right 3.58
(2 hours in) 2:35pm Left 3.68 Right 3.69
(3.5 hours in) 4:00pm Left 3.90 Right 3.91
(4.5 hours in) 5:00pm Left 4.15 Right 4.16
(5 hours in) 5:30pm Left 4.18 Right 4.19

The red light turned off after 5 hours of charging, and as you can see, both batteries are nearly at full capacity of 4.2volts. As this test, and VaporGlocks tests, it does seem this charger, and the IPV3 charing unit, balances charges correctly. I will be using this charger, even though I was against it in the past. I will probably pull my batteries after each 3 cycle charges with the charger, and check both batteries to make sure this is consistent. I am using VTC5 in my IPV3, and I got the charger from Eciggity.

I think I charged mine twice this week it's on the charger now so that'll be charge #3. I checked them at about halfway and they were evenly charged. I'll check it when I wake to verify the charge. I'm sure they'll be fine. Pulling batteries once a week to double check is not a problem whatsoever. Thanks for posting your results too.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I good test would be to sacrifice an old laptop battery and see how those are wired. I know they're typically several series in an array inside. Seeing how they're wired would tell us a lot for charging.

all-kind-of-repair-laptop-battery.jpg

Some laptops handle the balance charging on the motherboard,.. some just send serial data back from the microcontroller on the pack about the "health" of the cells and let that microcontroller handle the balancing. but they will have balance charge connections regardless of how its monitored as shown above. This is a series parallel configuration.

there is lots of information on this on google if you loockup laptop battery repair -- that way you can see a bunch of diffrent types without taking something working apart.

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I was wondering if using a 2250mah 9v charger would be a problem then?

The guy at the electronics store said it wouldn't be a problem, since the device will just draw what it needs. I just don't feel comfortable not using to exact specs. But he literally said it wouldn't matter. It's an electronic store which sells boards and resistinances and all these things.. So i kinda feel like they should know what they are talking about, just want you guys input :)

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Hey guys.

I was wondering if using a 2250mah 9v charger would be a problem then?

The guy at the electronics store said it wouldn't be a problem, since the device will just draw what it needs. I just don't feel comfortable not using to exact specs. But he literally said it wouldn't matter. It's an electronic store which sells boards and resistinances and all these things.. So i kinda feel like they should know what they are talking about, just want you guys input :)

I tried a similar charger that was from a Nokia phone and all it did was make a buzzing sound and didn't charge the batteries one bit. I'd go with the recommended charger.

Arel3

Sep 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
If you Google "IPV3 Charger" the results produce a 9volt 2amp ac switch adapter.

1000mA = 1amp

The more amps the adapter is rated to have the harder the current is allowed to push through the adapter from the switch/receptacle.
So the more amperage you can find an AC adapter with the faster the batteries will charge.

All AC switch adapters have either a sticker or print or a molded stamp into the plastic on them informing of their voltage and amperage capabilities. Some also include watts.

Since the official (?) charger for the IPV3 is 2amps I would personally not use an adapter over 3 to 5 amps. Try one with as many amps as you can find one with at your own risk.

I would not try to charge batteries over their input amperage capabilities of one battery which is usually half the output amperage capability. If you try to charge them too fast (hard with too many amps) it could be dangerous, or render them useless.

The more amps you push in to charging a battery the hotter it will get. Make it too hot...the seals break and it leaks which is not a pleasant mess to deal with, and your device is likely to get badly damaged.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
^^^^ The external "IPV3 charger" is merely supplying power to the internal charging board. The internal board regulates the power at whatever rate so it will charge at the batteries at the same rate no matter how many amps the external supply has. This of coarse is providing the minimum required amperage is supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread