Is anyone else having video artifacts in their posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm wondering whether I have a browser issue or a forum software issue. From time to time, I have video anomalies such as an embedded graphic or video frame that tears or fails to show part of the graphic as I scroll up or down. The frame of an embedded YouTube video might lose the top line of the frame or get superimposed onto the text above it as I scroll up or down. I'm also seeing slow video updates as I scroll. It's intermittent and I thought I might have a video driver issue. My video driver is up to date and has been in use for over 6 months without seeing this until lately.

Just while ago, I was editing a post and saw a duplication of a phrase. It was three words that appeared twice in a row. I deleted one of the instances and both disappeared! I had to type the phrase again and save the post.

Am I imagining things or is there an elusive video bug in the forum software?. I don't see this problem anywhere else I browse on the internet. Firefox 11 is my browser level and it also happens if I use IE 9.0.8112.1641. I'm thinking forum software bug.

ETA: I just experienced the three word anomally again. Three words at the end of a line repeated again at the beginning of the next line. I didn't edit that this time and when I saved it wasn't there. As I edit right now, another duplicated phrase has appeared!

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
It is possible that this is an anomaly associated with IE. I haven't experienced anything like this in Firefox or chrome. We'll do some digging and see if any of the other large vB forums have reported a similar issue, though I would suspect that it is a browser or video card issue more than a forum issue.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'll try the Java and Flash updates. I've verified the quirks identically with IE 9 and Firefox 11.

I'm thinking it's a support software issue involving plugins that both browsers use. Thanks, guys. I also let HP Update check and update my drivers recently (probably a bad idea). I've checked my video driver and it's current.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Well, I've updated Java and Flash and upgraded to Firefox 14.0.1 ... still have the problem. I also installed the latest Intel graphics driver for my laptop. I have 4G ram with 2.3G free in task manager with Firefox running, so I wouldn't think it's a low memory issue. Below is the kind of thing I see (check the screen shot below). It's an embedded YouTube video. Standard graphics don't do this, just YouTube embeds. This corrects itself if I hit an up or down arrow. Sometimes, it's just a missing title bar on the YouTube frame and it covers up a line of text that also comes back with a page up/down.

It may just be the size of the thread I noticed it on. It's this the thread below where I first noticed it and it takes quite a while to load the thread before I can scroll or page up/down. It may be eating away at memory and causing the problem.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/outside/313857-post-your-favorite-classic-rock-song.html

SampleVideoCapture.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Update: I really think that it's just the threads that have large numbers of YouTube videos embedded. Any other thread that I go to doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms I reported. The thread I posted the link for has large numbers of YouTube embedded videos and takes a long time to load before I can move. I didn't realize that posting an embedded video did anything but post a banner type picture with the play button linked to get the content when you press play.

Apparently, loading that page is just filling up memory and slowing down my Intel Pentium T4400 dual core 2.2ghz mobile CPU to a crawl. It's not a speed demon, but it's a great web browsing laptop with good, lag free video performance until it hit the thread I posted above. :)

If that's it, at least I have current updates on Java, Flash, and my browser! Sorry for the commotion. It it turns out to be hardware or settings related, I'll update this thread. Maybe there's a browser setting to tell the browser not to prefetch video content until you click on it.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think I have pinpointed my issue. It was the latest Adobe Flash Player upgrade that started the problem. Now that I have it fixed, I remember a recent upgrade about the same time the anomaly began.

I just uninstalled flash player 11.3.300.265 (7/11/2012), rebooted, and downloaded 11.2.202.233. Once I installed the rolled back version, the foldovers and missing frames are gone. There's still that little jiggle in the YouTube image as you scroll up and down, but that's probably normal with my OEM HP laptop graphics chip since the image appears to be a composite of the title bar, the video frame, and the player control panel. Those move together and realign each time you scroll up or down. Slower video graphics controllers like my laptop will show the jitter slightly as it moves and re-aligns itself.

I'll probably be the only complainant, but the fix is there if anyone else asks ... Rollback your Adobe Flash Player plugin to the previous version.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Good find, Dave. I haven't experienced your issue, but have had a handful of flash player crashes on Youtube since the last update

It was just a process of boning up on other people's posted problems, looking at possibilities and eliminating them one at a time. The same method I used at work before I retired. Gather symptoms, create a list of possible causes, develop solutions, implement, refine the list, and repeat until success!

If you need to roll back Flash Player, a Google search for old versions of flash will get you to an Adobe site with the old versions in zip format. Just remove the new version, reboot, and run the zip file and click the install program. There's a readme that tells you which version works with IE or other browsers and operating systems. PM me if you need some links. There are people out there who had to roll back to stop YouTube crashes.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the next flash version will fix today's problems without you having to do anything at all.

I checked my desktop computer and it has the 11.3.300.265 Adobe Flash version and exhibits no artifacts. Looks like it's a hardware dependent issue. My desktop is in need of an upgrade, since I play an online multiplayer game (Halo CE). It's an old AMD X2 4200 dual core with a Radeon HD 3900 AGP graphics card. The 3900 is the fastest card out there for AGP, but I'm going to have to gut the box and do a new motherboard build to upgrade it to PCIE. I've been putting that off until the bargain basement parts exceed my needs exponentially!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread