Is anyone seeing this extra text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
It looked right before I came back:unsure: so NVM...
Yeah, I did that too. Don't feel bad.

For those testing stuff and experimenting, looks like we need to make sure to do a REFRESH in the browser, because the default "insert new reply into the page" function must not bork it all up (maybe some), but once refreshed and a full new page is generated, you get the borked-up results. That or it's a timing thing with them playing with stuffis.

:2c:

(and GROAN....ECF)

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I will repeat - the links have been there for years.
They used to be red and no one liked them so Oliver made them not red.
Right now they are broken.
It has been reported to the tech people but there isn't anyone to fix it right now - they will when they can - people aren't here 24/7.
I'm sorry, but stuff happens - it's broken, but it will get fixed as soon as possible.

Some of the comments in here - wow !
...if you really hate ECF that much - why are you here ?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I will repeat - the links have been there for years.
They used to be red and no one liked them so Oliver made them not red.
Right now they are broken.
It has been reported to the tech people but there isn't anyone to fix it right now - they will when they can - people aren't here 24/7.
I'm sorry, but stuff happens - it's broken, but it will get fixed as soon as possible.

Some of the comments in here - wow !
...if you really hate ECF that much - why are you here ?

We are here because we love e c.f...

I have never seen hyperlinks since I joined... been here two years or so. Had i, I would not be here today.

Forgive me as I didn't realize every time I told someone about Kay funs it was linking to taanks on a site that doesn't even carry them, or when I said sens e it was linking to a v aping store.

I understand problems occur.. and to me this is a rather huge one.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Ya know, if I could stomp my foot and snap my fingers and get it fixed I would...but like everyone else I will have to wait until a tech person comes online to fix it.

I don't expect you to fix it. I never demanded you do.

I also didn't expect voicing my opinion on the hyperlinks (general shock) to get me dismissed as simply "hating e c.f." either..

There is a difference between not being desirous of having my words be clickbait and hating the web site.

Although, as you said - my words have always been click bait I just didn't know it.
Guess its a good thing to know.

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
I am going to bet that there's site maintenance going on that involves highlighting words connected to vaping? It is extraordinarily annoying, I guess (despite my thoughts to the contrary at times) I use lots of vaping related words. It's worst on my own posts, but I do see some in other posts, too.

Anna
Unfortunately it isn't just words related to v ap ing that are being affected. words are also being taken out of context and turned into links, as can be seen in my post here...

Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

ETA: I stand corrected....it has now been corrected and no longer showing as a link...:blush: thank you Oliver...:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm so glad it's fixed. Though I do have to say, we are a sensitive lot, us ECF-ers. I'm sure this site costs a lot to maintain and if a few hyperlinks need to be around to help with costs, I'm not against it, and I have yet to encounter a forum that doesn't break from time to time while doing updates.

But, I AM glad it is FIXED!!!

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm talking about the mess, not the hyperlinks. I'm not particularly horrified by hyperlinks generally, as I've said. I don't think I've ever accidentally clicked on one, but I understand this site isn't inexpensive to maintain, and I'm not going to complain about hyperlinks that I can't even see? I assume this is everyone because I never saw them while logged out either....

Although now that I think about it, there have been a few mystery times I have been redirected to vaping.com. So maybe I have clicked on them before, but again, it's not a big deal to me, though I understand that it can be for some folks. I do think there are good/better ways to promote linking the two sites, as even when "mysteriously" redirected, I just kind of took it as a server error and closed that browser window.

It's always a balance between user functionality and keeping the site up and running, I'd think....

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm talking about the mess, not the hyperlinks. I'm not particularly horrified by hyperlinks generally, as I've said. I don't think I've ever accidentally clicked on one, but I understand this site isn't inexpensive to maintain, and I'm not going to complain about hyperlinks that I can't even see? I assume this is everyone because I never saw them while logged out either....

Although now that I think about it, there have been a few mystery times I have been redirected to vaping.com. So maybe I have clicked on them before, but again, it's not a big deal to me, though I understand that it can be for some folks. I do think there are good/better ways to promote linking the two sites, as even when "mysteriously" redirected, I just kind of took it as a server error and closed that browser window.

It's always a balance between user functionality and keeping the site up and running, I'd think....

Anna

They have both ads and supporting members for money. ..

I guess every other word being a money making hyperlink was something I simply didn't realize - and for me it's something I'm definitely going to have to consider.

Everything we saw yesterday is still able to be seen - unreadable posts and all - if your not a member, if your just a person passing by the forums in search of some information.

I have always spoken for everyone who might read my posts, they are meant to inform. Someone who sees a word like Kayfun may click on it thinking they may get more information about kayfuns since its been hyperlinked, but instead they find themselves getting directed to one particular vape shop's list of tanks for sale, the mtl mixed with the sub ohm, the rtas and rbas mixed with factory... I cannot see how that helps to inform someone just reading.

I can't see how unreadable posts helps anyone just passing by learn more about vaping either.

I can see how I can help people who actually join because they can't see all that mess. but that's it - because everything I saw yesterday is what non members see every time I type.

So, I have some thinking to do. I don't know what I will decide... but I imagine some of us will have to do that.

I don't remember now what the site looked like before I joined, it's been too long and I only ever intended to ask one question. . Maybe this was why I had to join to ask that question. . I just can't remember now.

All this in mind, I no longer feel like a person who is helping inform other people, rather, I'm just helping generate money and since that's the case, I have a lot of thinking to do.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, I wasn't aware that the unreadable stuff AND ads is still going on for visitors to the site, and/or non-supporting members. That would be an issue to fix quickly, I think, because all the ads or hyperlinks in the world won't do much to generate income if new members don't join. So, if that is the case, that's not great. One shouldn't have to be a supporting member for that to happen, and I do agree that too many hyperlinks could be distracting.

It's a difficult balance, trying to maintain a forum and still have it be profitable/self-supporting. The hyperlinks (as I saw them yesterday) ought to be refined, as being redirected to a site which may not have anything to do with the RTA or whatever link in question isn't a great plan, and could lead to less excellent outcomes for non-members or new members, and that's not great. Maybe that's something for everyone to think about-- when is too much, when something isn't enough.

I didn't become a supporting member to get perks like being ad free, I do that with forums I know I will frequent for a while, since I want them to be solvent, but any internet forum these days is going to need to find ways to support increased income, it's unfortunately the nature of the best.

I know you spend a lot of time helping new members Opinionated, I like doing that too, and I don't want to have to write some sort of weird text to make my stuff legible. I think I will log out shortly and see how it looks. :(

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but what happened yesterday wasn't great, that should have happened in the dead of night, JMO, of course. I hope it gets fully resolved soon....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread