Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
There has been a lot of debate on the internet about the ethical considerations of cloning. I'd love to find out how the majority of vapers here feel about dealing with vendors who manufacture and sell direct copies of modders' creations. Not thinking of similarly designed buttons or criticizing low cost,bulk equipment but those who directly steal and resell - actually referring to the original modders' design in their advertising. What say you all? Just looking for healthy conversation - angry people need not respond.

dw'struth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
London, KY
China has no regard for patents or copyrights. Cloning is just typical business there, so I don't see any issues, since the original product was probably stolen from other products or ideas.

I agree, but still doesn't answer the question. In my eyes, it's fair game for anyone, China or whoever, if there isn't a patent pending....

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I agree, but still doesn't answer the question. In my eyes, it's fair game for anyone, China or whoever, if there isn't a patent pending....

It is ethical in China, because that is just how business is done. In the US, not so much. Is it legal in the US if there is no patent? Yes, but still not ethical.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I think the cloning debate is about human dna. I have not read much about cloning mods for vaping.

That said, I think patents generally should be respected. However, things like Marvel Comics, the movie industry, and the music industry's blatant abuse of the patent/copyright system have created a general disdain for it. Additionally, abuse from China in not honoring them has undermined the patent system from the other side. They are on the downward slope.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I would say: Designing a total replica of a modder's already produced and released product. Anything that refers, even in part, to another already produced product's name and is similar. Sort of like art, you know it when you see it. Modders are inventors who create designs and then bankroll the production of quality products. Mass producers take this idea, use lower quality materials and resell the same design for less money. The reference to patents is a legal issue - it's clear that this is legal. I'd like to know if people think that it's ethical and healthy for the vaping community.

Last edited:

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
It's only intellectual property until it hits the manufacturing line. If someone else can do it better, sell it cheaper, and/or produce it in higher quantities, then they'll get the lion's share of the profit from it.

I probably wouldn't buy so many clones if I could actually get the original designs they were based on. Availability is the issue for me. I don't think any of this is actually an answer to what you're asking. :)

Truthfully, I would feel better if the copycats came up with their own names for their products and didn't refer to the originals at all instead of piggybacking on the success of them. I don't feel bad enough about it to not buy clones, though, especially if I have to get on a 3-month waiting list or scour the classifieds every day looking for the original.

dw'struth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
London, KY
It is ethical in China, because that is just how business is done. In the US, not so much. Is it legal in the US if there is no patent? Yes, but still not ethical.

Since when is ethics even a question in US business? The question itself doesn't make since to me as it is only a question of legality.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Since when is ethics even a question in US business? The question itself doesn't make since to me as it is only a question of legality.

I work for a corporation that is rated as one of the most ethical companies in the world. There is a direct correlation between ethical business practices and success in the US.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
There has been a lot of debate on the internet about the ethical considerations of cloning. I'd love to find out how the majority of vapers here feel about dealing with vendors who manufacture and sell direct copies of modders' creations. Not thinking of similarly designed buttons or criticizing low cost, bulk equipment but those who directly steal and resell - actually referring to the original modders' design in their advertising. What say you all? Just looking for healthy conversation - angry people need not respond.

I'm not aware of anyone doing this in the ecig world. There are a lot of 'similar', much lower cost items available. Examples would help explain.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Is selling your Mod second hand ethical? It denies the inventor a sale and should be banned

Negative, it denies the inventor nothing. The mod is yours when you buy it. Once it is your property you have the right to sell it. The inventor gets his cut either from the sale of the design or the piece of the action from sale of new items only. What is the basis for this question?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread