Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I suppose that other than experimenting with both different brands, flavours, and types of liquid (which is an adventure in itself), one of the more significant things I've had to deal with since switching whole hog to vaping is my senses of taste and smell perking back up and possibly even altering.

Case in point: My wife and I just got her brother into vaping because he wants to get away from cigarettes, but he didn't want a huge outlay of cash. So, we split an eGo kit with him and got him a bit of juice to start and see if he likes it and can get used to it. (He seems okay with it but now needs lighter juice and wants an automatic battery, so we ordered that for him last night.) The kit, plus some new Crystal branded juices that we ordered for ourselves arrived last night, plus some new carts because I've been playing with cart mods.

The new juice we ordered is Crystal's PG line (where the previous stuff we've been trying is all VG and other brands). Nice premium green glass bottles with aluminum-topped glass droppers. We ordered Camo Tobacco (30ml) plus a 10ml sampler 5-pack containing Classic Tobacco, American Tobacco, RY4, Bold Coffee and French Vanilla. My brother-in-law came over last night to check out his new PV and sample some juice.

First up: Camo Tobacco.

His impression: Tastes kind of like apple. Apple-flavoured gummy bears.
My impression: Pine Sol.

Okay, Pine Sol is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not really sure what it does smell and taste like. Pine Sol is about the closest approximation to the type of smell and taste I'm talking about: Strong, kind of acrid. I'll admit it gave a pretty strong throat hit, which was nice, but the flavour could have cleaned my walls.

Now, I've been off tobacco now for 12 days, while, at least until last night, he's been a smoker, so while my tastebuds have undergone a resurrection, his haven't yet.

But wait. There's more.

RY4 smells great. Kind of nutty with caramel overtones. It tastes ... like diluted Pine Sol. French Vanilla smells and tastes like diluted Pine Sol. Classic Tobacco ... well, it doesn't taste like anything, really. American Tobacco, diluted Pine Sol. Bold Coffee -- now that one is nice. No Pine Sol here, though there's a chemical aftertaste, kind of like an artificial sweetener, but it definitely has a strong coffee hit.

And there's still more.

One of the first juices I got was a generic VG tobacco flavour. When I first started vaping I found it was a slightly sweet fresh tobacco flavour, which was unexpected and took a bit of getting used to but otherwise not at all objectionable. Now it tastes like nothing. I don't mean I've grown accustomed to it, I mean it fails to have any flavour whatsoever. I tastes like I'm vaping water.

Generally, I expected my tastebuds to improve, not change. At least, not like this. What's going on here? Is this just a weird transitional phase my tastebuds are going through or was I really able to taste things before I quit smoking that I can't anymore? Even my brother-in-law is tasting things I'm not with that Camo tobacco. It's kind of throwing off my mojo here. I briefly though that maybe it was because this was freshly mixed liquid and it needed time to set (as I'm told it can taste a bit nasty until it steeps a bit), but this is US-made liquid ordered from a Canadian vendor, so I'd have to imagine that just the shipping time from the US to this vendor surely must have been long enough to steep, to say nothing of how long this vendor could have had it sitting in stock for.

I'm a little baffled here.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I have days where nothing tastes right. Not sure why it happens but it has to me more then once. Pretty strange but usually the next day everything is back to normal. Cant really say why it does that but your not alone anyways. Does everything still taste like pine sol today? Anyways if your like me you should get your taste buds back to normal soon, at least i hope so.

stover.p

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I smoked analogs for 28 years and been vapeing exclusively for 6 months. I CANNOT vape tobacco flavors at all. They make me sick. So I've settled into my tastyfinger from TV and Eco Pure's English Toffee and I'm very satisfied. As far as taste buds changing, mine have to a certain degree in both good an bad ways. Some things I liked before vapeing I don't care for and some things I didn't like I do now. Our taste buds are in shock I think and they have to recover from the years of abuse that analogs did to them. Hang in there, you will find your favorites and all will be good again :)

DW66

Aug 28, 2010
WNY
Just got some French Vanilla from Tasty Vapor, it's fantastic smell and taste is outstanding. If you like cinnamon get the Atomic Cinnacide, actually anything I get from them is good. Got some Licorice from diyflavorshack good stuff, waiting for some cotton candy. We have about 10 bottles of other stuff that has a chemical or medicine flavor to them, so these are the only two places we order from anymore. Man this French Vanilla is good.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Well, with regard to my tastebuds, I didn't expect that they'd be completely back to whatever normal is yet, but I guess I sort of assumed that it would be a slow increase in the ability to taste things, rather than odd changes and period of ebb and flow. But then I've never quit smoking before so what do I know? It's all new to me, and I guess I should expect the unexpected. :) For what it's worth, I still taste Pine Sol today. But I'm at work and only brought some VG-based Marlboro flavour and the PG coffee, two of the flavours I currently have that I know are good; the Pine Sol is still leftover on the atty from last night's testing. (It's bloody strong.)

I'm slowly growing a flavour assortment though, and I'm already making a shopping list to brew my own stuff with flavourings from Flavorart, whom I hope make some good stuff (and they appear to -- they certainly have a massive assortment). It's good to know this isn't particularly unusual though. I was worried that things were going slightly and unexpectedly south.

I'm going to have to maybe soak my spare atty in alcohol tonight and try fresh tomorrow with a new cart, see if anything changes.

kaderick

ECF Veteran
Seems we all tend to loose all taste after first week or so or things just don't taste right, it comes back! After a month I have been in a blah again for a few days and just added Cinamon to get through knowing in a few more days all will be back to good. There are several threads on comming and going taste buds so don't be discuraged, it will pass or you will find that flavor that does it for you. On a side not I had hot wings the other day ordered my usual 3 mile and OMG I could hardly eat them, broke out in a sweat, drank a ton, and decided to try plain hot or medium next time because my taste buds arn't barried under smoke anymore and everything has more flavor! Just anything I'll have to miss about smoking (the lack of flavor smoking caused)lol

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
The important thing is to just keep trying!!It works and its better for you!

Not to worry, I have no intention of going back. I did my little experiment last week by having an analog (a couple, actually) after a week of not doing so, and it was nasty. I don't think I could go back even if I wanted to. I felt like I was licking an ash tray.

Seems we all tend to loose all taste after first week or so or things just don't taste right, it comes back! After a month I have been in a blah again for a few days and just added Cinamon to get through knowing in a few more days all will be back to good. There are several threads on comming and going taste buds so don't be discuraged, it will pass or you will find that flavor that does it for you. On a side not I had hot wings the other day ordered my usual 3 mile and OMG I could hardly eat them, broke out in a sweat, drank a ton, and decided to try plain hot or medium next time because my taste buds arn't barried under smoke anymore and everything has more flavor! Just anything I'll have to miss about smoking (the lack of flavor smoking caused)lol

That's comforting then, I'm about at the right point then for my taste buds to start doing the taste bud equivalent of when your foot goes to sleep and you have to start shaking it to wake it up.

I also love my Frank's Red Hot and Tabasco, so this is going to be an interesting month... :D

Chameloid

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Rura Penthe
Vaping RY4 right now and not too happy with it, although it tastes a bit better than it did when I received it a week ago. I would say it tastes like burnt nuts or coffee with a taste of vinegar.

Wow. Exactly my take on (dekang) RY4 too after it being one of my favorites and a primary vape for the first 2 months. I had even purchased bottles of straight PG RY4 and straight VG RY4 from Cignot to mix my own 80/20%, but eventually had to put it down for awhile because of the exact taste that you described. Fortunately by that time, I had gotten some new flavors in and did read about the taste bud schizophrenia that happens. Saw some recommendations to vape some menthol (which I do as part of my rotation anyway) to help clear the pallet.

I have been rotating some Pina Colada and Dulce de Leche the past month as well and every couple days, the sweet from the pineapple in the Pina Colada disappears and all I'm left with is just the tart with only the barest hint of the sweet fruit... and then the flavor/sweet comes back usually the next day. I am also drinking more water while vaping, although there are situations where I can't drink when vaping but I try to make up for it later.

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
Wow. Exactly my take on (dekang) RY4 too after it being one of my favorites and a primary vape for the first 2 months. I had even purchased bottles of straight PG RY4 and straight VG RY4 from Cignot to mix my own 80/20%, but eventually had to put it down for awhile because of the exact taste that you described. Fortunately by that time, I had gotten some new flavors in and did read about the taste bud schizophrenia that happens. Saw some recommendations to vape some menthol (which I do as part of my rotation anyway) to help clear the pallet.

I have been rotating some Pina Colada and Dulce de Leche the past month as well and every couple days, the sweet from the pineapple in the Pina Colada disappears and all I'm left with is just the tart with only the barest hint of the sweet fruit... and then the flavor/sweet comes back usually the next day. I am also drinking more water while vaping, although there are situations where I can't drink when vaping but I try to make up for it later.

I am so over the need for a tobacco kind of flavor and am very anxiously waiting for the delivery of vanilla custard. I also intend to make my own vanilla juice. I ordered french vanilla stevia and have homemade vanilla extract (which I strained some through a coffee filter today to be used for flavoiring). I just need all of the other things to make my own juice. This is all becoming very pricey in the beginning but the good thing is, once my juice and hardware issues are corrected, I will be way ahead of the game money wise. The initial outlay though is hurting me now as is my patience level. I want it all now and I can't do it!
BTW...I've been eying dulce de leche juices!

RainbowznStarz

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2008
Fairfax, Va
I'm going through the same "phase". I'm 14 days into vaping with no analogs and the loss of taste started 2 days ago. And by loss of taste I mean, I can't taste ANYTHING. Everything tastes like nothing lol. Even my coffee, from starbucks. It is now dark brown water as far as i'm concerned. I can slightly taste food but still, it's- stale, blah, nothingness.

My only saving grace is I went through this phase when I quit smoking last year. Granted it only lasted 1 day compared to 3 presently, but I know if I hold on and just wait, I'll make it through and my taste buds will start working again. At least I'm not tasting pine-sol. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread