Is it normal for SS wire to turn brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
I was just wondering. I've been using 316l for a while now to make clapton coils. I try my hardest not to glow them very much. When I'm working out the hotspots for the first time, i turn it waaaay down, i even go as far as going into a dark room so I can see the glow without it much effort. I dry burn them when I rewick, but just barely enough to get the gunk to burn off, then I let it cool down and rinse off. It always turns brown though, just wondering if thats something I should be worried about.

Pic below is the first rewick on these week old coils. Juiced up with no flavor.
5122e63df965b364537c0671854ceaac.jpg

091cf7539c55a4522d84f2f9a10fbad4.jpg

Reactions: Boompumper

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
I was just wondering. I've been using 316l for a while now to make clapton coils. I try my hardest not to glow them very much. When I'm working out the hotspots for the first time, i turn it waaaay down, i even go as far as going into a dark room so I can see the glow without it much effort. I dry burn them when I rewick, but just barely enough to get the gunk to burn off, then I let it cool down and rinse off. It always turns brown though, just wondering if thats something I should be worried about.

Pic below is the first rewick on these week old coils. Juiced up with no flavor.

That Sir, is caramelized sweeteners on your wire, looks kinda like rust but its not, many people on this forum will have seen this. The bigger the wire the easier it is to see.

I find brushing my coils with a small wire brush after dry burning helps. I also quench my coils under water after dry burning also.

A tiny bit more power when dry burning will also help, dry burning is always a balance between being practical (removing all gunk), and not overly heating your wire.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Also note that even with dry burning and rinsing, the color will never truly look the same as an unused fresh coil. But it will look cleaner than when you started. As @opticruby points out, a bit more power would be useful in helping clean them up. Dry burning to an orange color and pulsing to keep it around that and not ending up cherry red and you should be fine.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

I use SS and when I burn the the coils to clean them I get them to turn orange (not cherry red), then I have a 120ml bottle of water to quench the coils while they are orange. That ends up quenching the coils and also washes off any extra gunk that is on them. No need to go in a dark room to get them barely glowing. I would understand if your using Ni200 or Ti wire but not SS.

Like someone else commented, the brown is caramelized sweetener that hasn't been burned off because the coils hasn't been fired enough to burn it off. Fire it longer to burn the sweetener off and quench you will see a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Hmm.. well thats interesting. I make my own juice. I don't put any sweetener in my juice. I didn't even really need to try burn this one, but i did anyway. And I do also use a wire brush very lightly instead of using water while its glowing, i think i heard someone say thats bad for SS. Anyway, the coil will look sorta silverish grey, then after i rinse, it turns brown like that.

Its hard to tell in the compressed pic, but there is no gunk on those coils. They are clean as a wistle.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Mine do the same thing. The discoloration is very shallow and could be polished off easily, but it would just come back the first time the wire gets hot enough to discolor. I don't worry about it.

Boompumper

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2017
Southern California
I've been watching these types of discussions closely, and have not found a definitive answer yet. At the moment I am only using single strand builds, so I just replace them rather than clean them, but with more complex builds I could see where cleaning them could be valid.

I was discussing this with the 'smartest guy I know', he is not a metallurgist, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. He says in order for the metal to rust it would need to become porous, and in order for that to happen the metal itself would need to deteriorate, which leads me to believe resistance would change.

Interesting side note, he says that even if it was rust it would not break off easily doing what we do, and would not be as harmful as I think it might be even if it was inhaled.

Not a definitive answer so take this with a grain of salt.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA

I've been kinda watchin these videos for a few weeks now, this one is a good one, they talk about different wire. All her videos are over an hour long, if you have the time I highly suggest watching all of it, and more of her videos, but the part that is interesting in this conversation starts at 28mins, not necessarily about SS but wire in general. I like her alot, she really knows her stuff!

EDIT: BTW, she is talking to Shaun Casey, North American president of Flavor Art

Reactions: Ryedan

Boompumper

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2017
Southern California
When I try and research this, the info I find definitely does not reassure me. I am not qualified to translate any of this to our use of stainless, hopefully one day I can find someone who is.

I found this helpful answer from a tutor on JustAnswer.com

Stainless Steel - Heat Treatment

It would seem to me that 'quenching' has the capability to change a metal's properties, whether that is good or bad or pertains to us at all I do not know. I do not know the temperature capabilities of a dry coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread