The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Questions about Stainless steel wire.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Andromendous, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Andromendous

Andromendous Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hi all, I finally bought some 316L and have been tinkering with my serpent mini. I did a 24g spaced coil, i think 8 wrap 2.5mm id, anyway.

I have a few concerns already. Now, i know SS can be dry burned, but to what extent? I've been trying some temp control and i am still learning how to wick the serpent mini, so after about 3 trys of dry burning and rewicking the last time i noticed a bit of a metallic taste.

I took the tank off and the wick seemed saturated so its not that. I went into my bathroom and turned out the lights so i could fire it and see if there was any glowing, i blew on the coil while i fired it. Well it took me about 3 fires for a good few seconds until i saw it start to glow.

Anyway i took out the wick and dry fired again and noticed the same metallic smell that i seemed to be tasting. Do you think im just dry firing it too much? Just to note, it came out to .27 and vaped from 30-35 watts, i lowered it to 20 watts when dry firing.

2. kbeam418

kbeam418 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    Honestly, there isn't enough research to tell for sure. I dry burn mine but I don't dry burn after I rinse the coil off, I noticed a residue every time I do.

3. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    i've used 26 & 28 gauge ss316 for 6 months with no metallic smell. i dry fire the same as kanthal in power/tc modes. who made it?

4. Andromendous

Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Temco

5. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    same as me,,this is a first for me. as ni200 and titanium taste awful to me. SS is dead neutral/clean..

6. minimalsaint

minimalsaint Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Michigan
    Sounds like a short or hot leg in your coil. SS gives off a distinct taste and smell when shorted, as any Genesis user with SS mesh will tell you.

7. Alien Traveler

Alien Traveler Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Good oxidation resistance in intermittent service to 870°C ... Continuous use of 316 in the 425-860°C range is not recommended if subsequent aqueous corrosion resistance is important.
    Stainless Steel - Grade 316L - Properties, Fabrication and Applications (UNS S31603)

Metal color temperature chart:
    Know Temperature when metal glows red | Hearth.com Forums Home

So, dry burning to cherry color should be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    I've been using 316L in my mechanical REOs for a month or so, after being a kanthal user for a long time. I like the SS.
    I've never seen any reason to dry burn any coil, regardless of material, beyond cherry red.

9. Andromendous

Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Another question for the stainless steel users, is it normal for the coil to turn a brownish red color? It almost looks like rust. I THINK its just some caramelization from a juice i used in it, but i dry burned and re wicked and it tastes fine.

Also I've been using this coil for about a week.

Dual 26g 316l claptoned with 32g 316l

10. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I've been using plain old 316 28 guage for pushing a year. I notice that it can take a while to get rid of the hotspots. With a new coil sometimes hotspots come back. I can correct it by pulling the topcap off (rda), and just brushing the coil a few more times. Then may be the problem goes away and comes back in a while so repeat the proceedure and eventually the problem does not come back. Then after about 2 weeks and 100 ml of juice the coil loses it's sizzle, taste gets flat, time for a new coil. I use very low flavor percent with almost no gunking but the surface of the coil seems to get pitted or may be it's a very thin layer of gunk that doesn't want to come off. Also a new coil starts out showing lower than the predicted resistance, bounces around for a while and settles down after repeated brushing often done with wick and liquid in contact with the coil. I wish I understood hot spots and coil aging better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.