is it safe to vape in temp mode with kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I met up with my cousin today and he told me that I shouldn't vape anything other than nickel in temp mode.

First... that ignores the existence of Titanium, Stainless Steel, Kanthal 52, etc. for TC use. :rolleyes:

To your question, yes it's safe but most TC mods will kick out of TC Mode when they don't see the expected rise in resistance. Others allow it, but there's no TC function or dry hit prevention happening.
And the IPV D2 needs it for high ohm/low power coils because it cannot "step down" below the battery voltage in power mode.

I haven't looked more into this, but I believe in Power Mode, for "hotter vape" users, we run a tad higher than the standard max temp of TC mods (~600F).
So yes... KanthalA1 would be safe in TC as well, though of course the TC isn't limiting it.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Well I think your cousin needs to update his knowledge as titanium and stainless steel are being used by a great many people with very good results. Until I got into ss recently I didn't realise how much of a taste nickel actually gives a vape but now my vape is noticeable in clean taste. True kanthal temp control doesn't exist at the minute the asolo has what it calls taste control for kanthal which users of the mod say prevents dry hits and innokin at some point are releasing their new tc tech but you'll be locked into proprietary hardware to take advantage of that.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Dna and a few others will just automatically turn off TC mode. Others wont care and work just fine. This girl at work has a D2 and she cant seem to figure out how to switch from TC to Power mode. Forgetful or whatever the deal is so when she changes a tank I have gotten her to lock her resistance every time and it works just fine.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It's impossible to vape in TC mode with K1. Anyone that says they have or can is not vaping in TC mode. The chip will not read the high resistance of kanthal. It doesn't work.

Not
Phrasing this correctly.
Mode is Functional position of Mod.
TC Mode indicates the ability to regulate as Temperature control<under correct provisions>

IPV-D2 Set to Temperature Control Mode - TC, Will allow Kanthal usage. No, it will NOT regulate Temperature.
Correct statement would be - NO you cannot Vape kanthal(A1) as a Temperature controlled material. Or, Kanthal A1 does not Regulate in temperature control mode.

VV Mode
VW Mode
TC Mode
Off Mode :D

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Yes you can use Kanthal safely for TC.. IF YOUR MOD has Kanthal settings. Problem is that most TC mods are not accurate or sensitive enough to regulate Kanthal or nichrome in TC mode. Mainly due to the high resistivity of the wire. kanthal and nichrome are actually SAFER than the wires used for TC, as they off gas less bad stuff when heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread