Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Define safe.;)

It's unlikely that anything will blow up. On the other hand, it really isn't good for the battery, which is why most manufacturers say something like "Our product is capable of pass-through charging, but you shouldn't use this feature."

vaping tends to take more current than the charger supplies so the current for your vape comes from the battery, not the charger. That means the battery is charging for a few minutes, discharging for 3 seconds, charging for 90 s, discharging for 4 s, charging for whatever... It's not a safe or healthy process for the battery. If there's anything wrong with the battery, this stressful process could trigger a serious problem. Of course, it's not likely that anything is wrong with the battery.

Short version: It will usually shorten the battery's life, but not in an exciting way.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Read a post a long time ago that pass-through use is not a good idea. Something about it causes the plus and negative ends of the battery to heat up out of proportion with the middle of the battery causing a unstable state. Same was said about grabbing freshly charged batteries out of the charger and using them. You need the give the battery time to reach oneness with the chemical/temperature Zen after recharging. Perhaps Mooch or someone with more battery knowledge than me can shed some more light on the subject.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
im not new to vaping, ive used everything from the hells gate to segilie 150w. but im just curious, is it safe to use a smock v8 stick while its charging? ive heard yes and no, so im just confused.
Batteries get warmer when they are charging and when they are discharging. Slower charging and discharging mean less heat. I vape at higher resistance and lower power compared too what's fashionable which helps minimize battery temperatures (1.3 ohm, 380F max temp, and 16-20 max watts). If the fire button is pressed while my devices are charging my understanding is the recharging process is stopped until the fire button is released but the battery will get warmer than if you do only one or the other. Never the less I almost always charge on-board, don't hesitate to use a mod that's cconnected to a charging cable and never see the battery go past slightly warm.

If I was vaping at very high watts, near or past the rated amp limit of the battery, may be I'd only reccharge in an exterenal charger inside of a 55 gallon drum in the backyard. Pushing the limits complicates things.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @anthra_X !

Since a Stick V8 kit can be had for $30-$35, a simple solution would be to pick up a second one. Backups are always a good idea and a second tank is great for changing flavors on the fly!

Better yet, if you are like me (I can suck down the charge on the stick faster then the other can charge :w00t:), look into a mod with external batteries you can just swap out when needed. More up front cost now, but benefits quickly "pay you back!"

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have heard "yes" and "no" but I don't like to vape personally via passthrough, even if a manufacturer states that you can. Like others, I agree it will likely put stress on the battery over time, if done consistently. I'd say you could probably do it in a pinch without any kind of explosion, but it's a habit I don't need, since I have some mod backups. I have a few "USB" charge batteries, a couple I really like, and I do find them useful on occasion. I also will only use a wall wart for charging as if something goes wrong, I don't want it affecting my computer. I also ordered a magnetic charger to cut down on wear and tear on my USB mods (and my phone, which is elderly, and starting to show wear and tear on the USB port.

So, it's not exactly "unsafe" it's just best practice. If you really like your smok stick there is little reason not to get a backup and swap them out, and it is probably good for your battery to "rest" some between charges.

If you want to go external battery especially if you like a higher wattage vape, looking at external battery mods is certainly not a bad idea either. :)

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
im not new to vaping, ive used everything from the hells gate to segilie 150w. but im just curious, is it safe to use a smock v8 stick while its charging? ive heard yes and no, so im just confused.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Good question, Smok has not defined the pass through parameters.
Would contact Smok and ask:
SMOK --->SMOKTech
email: support@smoktech.com
ECF Smok dealer: VapeSourcing
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/verashu.262193/#profile-post-71627

• Informative
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread