"Is that your new crutch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
There was a guy that came up to me one night at a gig, we were on a break and I was having a vape. Him: "So, Is that your new crutch?". Me: "Yes, you should try it. It might help elevate that chronic .........ion problem everyone tells me you have!". Him(as he is walking away from me and a couple of my laughing band mates): "F#*^ you man!, you guys suck!". You just can't please some people!

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
Well I hate to say it, but maybe a smile and a "yes it is!" would have been the best way to stop the conversation short.

People don't know what to do when you agree with them.

That's the best answer, but D***, I'd probably start an argument by saying welbutrin and paxil are crutches too.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
Ha Orobas, my mom was a school psychologist. She wasn't bad with other peoples kids but it is pretty clear that she thinks all that positive, touchy feely stuff is not something she needs to participate in. She thinks one of my major character flaws is that I care how other people feel. Sounds a bit like our moms would get on well Sharonmm. Some people just don't feel good if other people feel good.

She isn't someone who nags by the way. She could just see it was something that I was happy and excited about. Heck, at the time we were actually talking about cappela flavors I had ordered and that I could use them in food for her and my dad since they are both type 2 diabetics.

I'd probably start an argument by saying welbutrin and paxil are crutches too.

I did actually. Well not an argument, but I did point out that my vaping is no more a crutch than her meds. So she denied she takes them. Since she ends up in the hospital at least twice a year because she won't properly monitor her blood sugar and sleep apnea I'm really in touch with which meds she takes. Rather than take her of the welbutrin they actually added an anti convulsent.

I just don't feel like it is a crutch any more than coffee is. Yes I am self medicating, but at least I know with what and why.

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
Yeah it is my crutch. Worst question is ,"well when are you going to quit that?" I just remember that ultimately I'm doing this for me, not them! There are other advantages, like being more likely to be around for my family, but at the end of the day I'm doing it for me. It would be wonderful if everyone, "got it". But I understand that not everyone will, and I'm ok with that. I wanted to stop smoking cigarettes and in that I've succeeded. Some people approve of my choice and that's a bonus, some don't but maybe ill be alive long enough for them to come around;)

LuckyCat

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Oregon
My mother's the same way. I guess humiliating a 12 year old (whose never had a job or a bank account) for not knowing what the hell to do with a check made her feel good about herself.

Horrifying part? She's a teacher.

Hope none of you have school-age kids in Savannah, Georgia.

I feel ya, Orobas. My mother worked as the grief counselor in a labor ward before taking a position as administrative staff in the psychology department at the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I love the woman, but she's easily one of the most offensive and highly narcissistic people you could meet.

I suspect that if we could all get our mothers in the same room, they would drive each other to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread