Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Candy, to respond to your above comments if I may, I speak for Zapped and the others who may at times sound sarcastic, myself included. It is in response to the "haters" who insist on calling our beloved Provari's "outdated" or "over-the-hill", simply because it doesn't have variable wattage or some other feature like a puff counter. Typically these are people who have never used, much less owned a Provari, because they always get stuck on the higher price tag and can't in their mind justify the cost.

It's been repeated by Provari owners consistantly, they feel the Provari is worth the added cost. Until you have owned one, you can't understand that. You know this, you own one.

It's easy to get caught up in emotion and sarcasm when responding to certain individuals. Nothing wrong with an Evic, if that's what you enjoy. But when people who have never owned a Provari make a claim that the Evic is better than a Provari at half the cost...let me stop there.

My observation is that 95% of the criticism of Provaris comes from this group of people. That says a lot, does it not?

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I'm not picking on you, zapped, but I am just quoting this one piece because this is kind of why I don't hang out with the Provari crowd as often.

First, I LOVE my Provari, it's definitely my most used device. There are certain juices that just shine (bright like a diamond, ohhhhh, tonight.... you and I... Umm nevermind) with it. It's solid, if feels great and it keeps me happy (which ain't no small thing, ask my hubby!).

BUT why pick on the eVic? I have one of those too and some juices shine (like a... oh, nevermind!) on that just as well. Heck, there's some that do best on my little Egos.

Heck, I have a couple of Zmaxs and another eVic coming.

I think all devices are not created equal, but depending on what mood I'm in and what juice I want, it will change what device I want to use. Yes, I definitely favor my Provari, but it does seem to have more fans that are just rabid - and, at times, rude.

Yes, I would absolutely love to see VW available on the Provari. Those that don't like it don't have to use it, but it would be a nice addition. Same with the ego threading idea. It seems to be no problem on the eVic and I like lots of choices :) I'd love more choices on my favored device.

I just don't understand the Provari fans that constantly put down other devices. I say whatever is keeping someone off of analogs, that device is a winner. Not everyone has a lot of disposable income and the Provari is no small investment.

I definitely don't think any of my other devices will outlive my Provari - it's the best made mod I've put my hands on so far, that's for absolute sure.

I dunno where I'm going with this... it just kind of makes me sad, I guess.

Again, zapped, not picking on you specifically as you're usually pretty level-headed, but your sarcasm (which you might not have meant) struck me today because I think that sums up my feelings sometimes on Provari fans. Maybe it's just the few rabid ones that make it seem like more than there are. It just bugs me and I sometimes feel like I'm unwelcome in the Provari club because I like other devices too.

LOL!

Of course, next on my "device to buy" list is a Provari Mini... LOL. I obviously have a problem here :)

... posting this and wincing and hoping you guys don't tear me apart. Just my thoughts this early Sunday morning. xoxo

I don't pick on other devices, except Vamo because I can't get over the face the buttons make. And the V3 is just goofy looking. Having said that, I think there are a lot of us ProVari owners who don't want/need VW. That doesn't make is wrong, just satisfied with what we already have. ProVari can update all it wants to, it doesn't mean that I need these upgrades.

By the way, there is plenty of ProVari hate, too.

SuperDave68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Spokane,WA
You obviously don't own a Provari.

Strange for you to say it's "outdated" when it still outperforms everything else out there and I don't really think puff counters are very useful.
The Provari is variable wattage anyway - you just need your brain to change the settings.

Variable voltage is way finer anyway.

Back to the analogies - buy a really expensive amplifier, it'll be a valve amp and it won't have a graphic equalizer - it'll be simple and reliable - the sound from it will be as it was intended without any tinkering.

just had to correct this, in saying that variable voltage is finer, I assume you meant it is a finer scale adjustment and not "better"

actually variable wattage, in .1 watt increments is a finer scale than VV in .1 volt increments, at least in the range of ohms atomizers run in.

say typical atty res of 1.8 ohms, a change from say 4 v to 4.1 v equals around .45 watts.

now comes the argument is this necessary ? i personally have not found such a sensitive sweet spot that at one setting the vape is to cool and jumping .1 v is to harsh or burnt.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I'm not picking on you, zapped, but I am just quoting this one piece because this is kind of why I don't hang out with the Provari crowd as often.

Again, zapped, not picking on you specifically as you're usually pretty level-headed, but your sarcasm (which you might not have meant) struck me today because I think that sums up my feelings sometimes on Provari fans. Maybe it's just the few rabid ones that make it seem like more than there are. It just bugs me and I sometimes feel like I'm unwelcome in the Provari club because I like other devices too.

LOL!

Of course, next on my "device to buy" list is a Provari Mini... LOL. I obviously have a problem here :)

... posting this and wincing and hoping you guys don't tear me apart. Just my thoughts this early Sunday morning. xoxo

No offense taken Candy, I've been sarcastic for so long is second nature for me :)

I do get a little frustrated, (and maybe thats what you picked up on) when people who dont understand the design philosophy behind a certain mod start offering all these suggestions for "improvement" that run counter to what made it great in the first place. I'm a pretty black and white kinda guy most of the time, if I wanted my Provari to have the features of an Evic I would just buy an Evic.

Its been stated on the forums a 1000 times by now but I'll state it one more time:

The Provari was designed with quality and longevity in mind. Parts are either made in America or assembled in America to military specifications using components that match those specifications.The button for example is rated at 500,000 clicks, anything that doesnt meet those standards including OLED screens, added chipset features like puff counters, variable wattage and Usb charging ports were left out in favor of a more robust and simplistic design.

Many Provari owners can appreciate this "tradeoff" and feel as if we arent sacrificing anything at all. Quite frequently the simplest designs are also the more elegant. You've probably seen someone at one time or another say a Provari "Just Works" and it does.....extremely well. It shares the rock solid dependability and simplicity of design of good mechanical mods while adding a handful of essential features on the chip side.

Its a pretty well accepted fact in science, engineering and technology that the more parts something has, mechanical or electrical, the greater the chance of failure in those associated parts. Therein lies the "tradeoff" .....quality and durability versus extra features. All mods approach this differently, with most trying to find a balance somewhere between the two.

I'm not knocking the Evic but if you step back and take a subjective look at it, its clear that the design team placed an extremely high importance on added features like puff counters, sleep control and temperature warnings (just to name a few) over quality,durability and cost of materials used.

There have been numerous reports of the heads breaking in the forums, so much so that a friend of mine who also owns one recommends buying extra heads at purchase.

With these mods being at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of design choices it only natural to see comparisons between the two.

Both are good mods in their own right and appeal to different customers for different reasons.

What I have a problem with is when someone wants to remake a Provari into another version of an Evic because they think the Evic is more advanced or "up-to-date" It isnt......it just approaches its design from a different direction and appeals to different customers who have different priorities.

I would find it no less silly if people were lobbying in Evic threads to have it made simpler, with less features, more expensive materials and greater durability.

If thats what youre looking for or whats important to you, then maybe next time.............. You should just buy a Provari :)

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
For some of us. Yes it is.

5.2 volts is perfect with my choice of cartos and juice. Bumping the voltage up just .1 volt does add a tiny bit of burnt taste to my juice thats gets progressively worse as I go higher.

5.1 volts and lower the vapor production and flavor starts to drop.

tnt56 isnt alone in this many vapors have reported similar sensitivities to taste.

I'll even go so far as to submit that the majority of VW users arent using it the way it was intended.VW will get you close but the VV setting is to fine tune it from there.

Last edited:

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
You've probably seen someone at one time or another say a Provari "Just Works" and it does.....extremely well. It shares the rock solid dependability and simplicity of design of good mechanical mods while adding a handful of essential features on the chip side.

I will agree here. As I said, my favorite device is definitely my Provari. The vape is excellent, but I really do prefer the way it FEELS - just feels like a solid device.

I get it. I mean, the fans think it's the best thing ever and those that think it's too expensive or whatever-else-they-deem wrong with it give them a hard time. It's just harsh coming from both sides. Thanks for talking it out and not jumping down my throat :) xoxo

Must go find my bottle of Primo and get my nic in before bedtime :) Have a great week!

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
just had to correct this, in saying that variable voltage is finer, I assume you meant it is a finer scale adjustment and not "better"

actually variable wattage, in .1 watt increments is a finer scale than VV in .1 volt increments, at least in the range of ohms atomizers run in.

* forgot about the DNA20 mods

Last edited:

gorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Milan, Italy
The problem with the positions expressed in this thread is that by choice they opt to ignore the very simple fact that Provape *will* upgrade the Provari. Sooner or later they will. And given the extreme trust you place in the company (well placed, so far), you can bet that they will add functions and performance. Or do you seriously believe that an *electronic* device will remain immutated for a decade?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The problem with the positions expressed in this thread is that by choice they opt to ignore the very simple fact that Provape *will* upgrade the Provari. Sooner or later they will. And given the extreme trust you place in the company (well placed, so far), you can bet that they will add functions and performance. Or do you seriously believe that an *electronic* device will remain immutated for a decade?

No, but I bet this current version will remain for sale and in service for longer. I suspect the next version will add to the line, not replace the current model.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

SuperDave68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Spokane,WA
5.2 volts is perfect with my choice of cartos and juice. Bumping the voltage up just .1 volt does add a tiny bit of burnt taste to my juice thats gets progressively worse as I go higher.

5.1 volts and lower the vapor production and flavor starts to drop.

tnt56 isnt alone in this many vapors have reported similar sensitivities to taste.

I'll even go so far as to submit that the majority of VW users arent using it the way it was intended.VW will get you close but the VV setting is to fine tune it from there.

I think you've got that backwards, VV is a courser adjustment , in my previous example, changing the voltage by .1 made almost a half a watt change, whereas if you had VW, most devices adj. in .1 watt increments. the end of my statement was merely my personal experience that i have not found this "finer" adjustment necessary. I also own a evic, and i much prefer the vape on the pro vari, even with it's courser VV only adjustment.

I am also in agreement that the provari is great the way it is, it is a solid tank of a PV. if provape wants to get into the VW market, as stated earlier by others, i believe they should offer a different model.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I think you've got that backwards, VV is a courser adjustment , in my previous example, changing the voltage by .1 made almost a half a watt change, whereas if you had VW, most devices adj. in .1 watt increments. the end of my statement was merely my personal experience that i have not found this "finer" adjustment necessary. I also own a evic, and i much prefer the vape on the pro vari, even with it's courser VV only adjustment.

I am also in agreement that the provari is great the way it is, it is a solid tank of a PV. if provape wants to get into the VW market, as stated earlier by others, i believe they should offer a different model.
Most devices that I've seen (at leas the current flood of chinese models) adjust in 0.5w increments which is as you say close to the 0.1v increments used by most in vv mode.

Either way when going from tank to tank or juice to juice I have to adjust in either VV or VW mode, so I really see little advantage to VW over VV. They both get me to the same place with approx the same effort.

SuperDave68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Spokane,WA
Most devices that I've seen (at leas the current flood of chinese models) adjust in 0.5w increments which is as you say close to the 0.1v increments used by most in vv mode.

Either way when going from tank to tank or juice to juice I have to adjust in either VV or VW mode, so I really see little advantage to VW over VV. They both get me to the same place with approx the same effort.

ic. The only chin mod i have is the evic, and it does adj in .1 w increments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread