Is this safety for ready coils when i try filling my tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
@stols001 I have done autopsies on many coils that did not look bad or burned on the outside but did not taste right and was totally surprised by what I found inside. I stopped smoking over 3 years ago so I would rather play it safe and not take a chance that I could be inhaling burning cotton. Just my opinion

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think that's a reasonable stance, and I haven't had the same experience. The coils taste fine, though for my own peace of mind, I may pull apart one of mine after I clean it, and see what it looks like down inside. Thanks for the information, it's helpful and I'm not trying to argue, just sharing my own experience.

Peace,

Anna

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
When switching from a Nautilus X to a Mini I forgot to turn down the wattage and for just one puff on a basically new coil that was primed and sat overnight. After a couple of ML's it just had a funny taste so I pulled it and did an exploratory to find I had fried the cotton. Cleaning a coil to change a flavor is one thing trying to resurrect a worn out coil is just not a good idea from what I have seen inside my coils. I have even seen a heavily gunked up Sub Ohm TC coil that did not taste good have cotton that looked brand new. If it was worth my time to try to clean that I might try but at $3 not worth it in my opinion.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
But frying your coil and then vaping it is a bit different than using a coil correctly and taking it out at the first hint of burnt taste, honestly. I did that to a coil using my steampunk (it rolled around when I was turning it down from 7 watts and I guess that was its lowest setting, it went up to 120). I did not try to vape that coil, I fished it out immediately and threw it away. There would be no resurrecting that and I wouldn't even try. Toasting a coil that way is quite different from using it normally, I'd think.

If that's your example, I think we are talking different usage points, honestly. But, like I said, when it gets light out, I will dissect one of my "cleaned" coils that's waiting to be used, as honestly, I agree with you.... IF that is going to be the case, which I'm not sure it will be, but it will be interesting to find out. Please don't think I'm upset by this, I'm actually finding the discussion useful and informative... I probably won't post again until I deconstruct a cleaned coil and see what's going on with it...

Cheers,

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vape shops have to hate that they lose coil customers to those who recoil and rewick their own pre-made coils. I get that some people like buying and using replacement coils and don't mind rebuilding them. If you are doing the rebuilding thing with coils you are probably ready for a rebuildable RTA. A roll of wire and a bag of Sally's cellucotton rayon is good for a year or more maintaining a good rebuildable atomizer.

I was replacing a Nautilus coils once or twice a week before starting to wick and coil my first RTA. Those coils got expensive pretty quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread