Is today the day Congress saves vaping in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
The whole thing with premium cigars becoming exempt, which were lumped in with pipe tobacco, electronic cigarettes and others, is the cigar industry and aficionados took this very seriously from the start, got the word out there, banded together and fought this with everything they had, unlike the vape industry and vapers.
You are dead on.

Marvin Shanken (Cigar Aficionado/Wine Spectator, etc) has many powerful friends and has been lobbying for exemption for well over 20 years. And this is just one guy/company out of dozens/hundreds fighting in lockstep. The vaping community is a disorganized mess in comparison.

God help us if the industry and vape users don't pull it together soon. :(

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I've got my fingers crossed!
Good luck guys from the uk

Ps. I don't know how I could provide support for for you guys, in terms of administration, not much authority or education. Still tryna understand policies over here, in the UK!
Good thoughts are appreciated in these dark times..

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Today US congress will vote on legislation which will effectively move the grandfather date for vaping products to the date at which regulations are issued.

Read this excellent summary by Sally Satel to see what's at stake with today's vote: Congress, Save E-Cigarettes From The FDA

"House Appropriations Committee’s agriculture subcommittee is set to consider the fiscal 2017 agriculture appropriations bill, which gives the FDA its spending authority. The subcommittee will consider a provision requiring FDA to change the February 15, 2007 date to the date on which the FDA’s final rule takes effect, probably later this year. Products on the market then, and new products substantially equivalent to them, wouldn’t have to file pre-market review applications."

Here's hoping!
I saw something about you having a birthday coming up on the 23rd..If i'm not around then I hope you have a Happy Birthday!!! I'm not on here much these day's unfortunately @SmokeyJoe but I do try to drop in every now and then. Thanks for that OP..It's got me excited!!!!!

:bday:

FB_IMG_1453167658462.jpg

I sure hope that they move that date!!!!
:banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Hmmph, I'm gonna learn how to make mechanicals for my Vapocolypse box. I still don't understand how e-cigarettes that have no tobacco in them can be considered a tobacco product. Maybe I better make my Vapocolypse Box bigger
The only thing that can truly pool us in with tobacco is the nicotine we use is extracted from tobacco leaves. People say that it comes from eggplant or other vegetables but that is just not true. Nor feasible in the long run as the amounts in other plants is very small and the cost is too high to go that way. Synthetic nicotine is a thing but again very expensive to produce. The synthetic could break us away from tobacco all together but there must be a break thru for it to be main stream. There are a couple liquid companies using a alternative to nicotine but I do not know a whole lot about it. But will this be recognized as a non-tobacco product?

I wish they would just leave us alone. I just do not want to smoke anymore.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
The only thing that can truly pool us in with tobacco is the nicotine we use is extracted from tobacco leaves. People say that it comes from eggplant or other vegetables but that is just not true. Nor feasible in the long run as the amounts in other plants is very small and the cost is too high to go that way. Synthetic nicotine is a thing but again very expensive to produce. The synthetic could break us away from tobacco all together but there must be a break thru for it to be main stream. There are a couple liquid companies using a alternative to nicotine but I do not know a whole lot about it. But will this be recognized as a non-tobacco product?

I wish they would just leave us alone. I just do not want to smoke anymore.
I'm with you on that one, man! Harassing people sometimes, it seems, can create jobs and earn money ( sarcastic face)

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
My first thought was Cuba.
What, that the US was protecting the welfare of Cuba's cigar industry
or that the Castro regime put pressure on US?

I really don't think US cares much about Cuba regardless of what Mr Soetoro is doing..
Besides, Cuba's cigar industry is destroying itself. My old lady went down a couple of years ago
and brought me back a box of Cohibas which were disgusting, and I think the
Dominican cigars grown from pre-Castro Cuban seed are much better.

Hey Nutz, thanks for turning me on to that French DIY site.
I owe you a soft drink of your preference...maybe a Cuba Libre :)
Regards,
Hazy

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
God help us if the industry and vape users don't pull it together soon. :(
There have been people trying to pull vapers together for years and years.
So I guess "soon" seems like quite a challenge at this point.

The real question is why is the cigar industry so much more successful than us?
Or even the medical "other stuff" industry for that matter?

Well, there are certainly a lot of answers to those questions.
In fact, you could probably write a FEW books on the entire subject.

The bottom line for me has always been the vape shops.
They just aren't doing it, so it ain't getting done.

Not sure how much blame to spread around there.
We're talking a lot of mom & pop shops, but that's too easy of an excuse.

I don't know.

But there is so much more than just that simple answer.
So much more.

We need to become a groundswell movement.
I'd love to see that happen some day.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
There have been people trying to pull vapers together for years and years.
So I guess "soon" seems like quite a challenge at this point.

The real question is why is the cigar industry so much more successful than us?
Or even the medical "other stuff" industry for that matter?

Well, there are certainly a lot of answers to those questions.
In fact, you could probably write a FEW books on the entire subject.

Not sure how much blame to spread around there.
We're talking a lot of mom & pop shops, but that's too easy of an excuse.

I don't know.

But there is so much more than just that simple answer.
So much more.

We need to become a groundswell movement.
Because, yeah, our lives matter too, right?

Guess not.
Maybe not even to us.

Vastly exploding fledgling industry vs. a few Decades of experience and planning. :cool:
Tobacco Battle for over a decade - to maintain establishes regulations.
Other stuff........well.......since the beginning.(60's ?)

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015

This is the reason I think at least locally to me.

Every shop around here is against each other. None have anything positive to say about another. They all hate each other. With that being the case, why would I expect them to bond together and fight for our rights? Why would I expect them to fight to stay in business? It is so cut throat it isn't funny.

Most of the shop owners I know have "back up plans" if vaping gets banned. Why are they spending more effort on "back up plans" than they are to save vaping?

I'll never understand.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This is the reason I think at least locally to me.

Every shop around here is against each other. None have anything positive to say about another. They all hate each other. With that being the case, why would I expect them to bond together and fight for our rights? Why would I expect them to fight to stay in business? It is so cut throat it isn't funny.

Most of the shop owners I know have "back up plans" if vaping gets banned. Why are they spending more effort on "back up plans" than they are to save vaping?

I'll never understand.

Because entrepreneurs seek out Fast/High Profit opportunities. When the well dries, move on. No squandering Profits on high risk endeavors. For many, easy money is where it's at.:glare:

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Because entrepreneurs seek out Fast/High Profit opportunities. When the well dries, move on. No squandering Profits on high risk endeavors. For many, easy money is where it's at.:glare:

Every entrepreneur I knew sought long term stability and becoming a helpful member of the community.

And I come from a long line of small business owners.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread