Is vaping more addictive than smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inmortus

Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Let me explain my question first, as I am really intrigued by this. I like vaping. I just recently started and haven't smoked analogues in a week. That's actually a record for me, so I am very happy. Not only that, I really have no cravings for analogues and have already started to dislike the smell. However, I am intrigued on whether I should be worried about becoming an addict to vaping. Here's my train of thoughts:
  • I intend to quit.
  • I am currently smoking 25mg liquid.
  • I already bought 18mg, 12mg and 6mg.
  • It is my intention to cut down the nicotine level progressively until getting down to 0.

However:
  • Being new at this and having found this site was a revelation to me in regards to how many people vape, how many products there are, the thousands of juice flavors, the amount of e-cigarrete offerings, cartomizers, clearomizers, eGo this, eGo that, and so on and so forth.
  • I've been looking around and readings threads like the one about what everyone is vaping right now, what is waiting for you in the mail, the hundreds of flavor reviews, comments from "veteran" vapers, how many people go through a lot of mL of liquid a day, and so on.

So taking these last two things in my train of thoughts into account, I am intrigued on whether vaping could in a way be more "addictive". I mean, I have found myself wondering if the psychological aspect of it (thinking to yourself "this is much healthier than smoking") plus the options aspect of it (i.e. "yey! Cheesecake flavor!" or "great! X company just came out with a new clearomizer, I gotta try it!") could potentially make people get more hooked into vaping than they were onto smoking in the first place...

Do people vape more often than they used to smoke for example? Do you end up with higher nicotine levels in your blood than when you were smoking? Quitting smoking is hard; is it easier or harder to quit vaping?

Again, just intrigued about what everyone thinks! I'm sure a lot of things on this line could just be opinions as there is not that much hard data or research but I am intrigued and would love to hear what some experienced vapers think.

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
I think it may depend on the type of smoker you were. Most of us were cigarette smokers so we didn't see the "hobby" side of smoking. We simply went to the gas station, got a pack, and maintained our nic levels.

My father owned a cigar store for several years and vaping reminds me a LOT of cigar and pipe culture. There are so many different varietals to try; even after a stroke my father can smoke a cigar and tell you if it is Nicaraguan shade grown or not. There are also accessories out the yin yang: lighters, cases, ashtrays, organizers, humidors, pouches, travel cases, etc. etc. etc. There are meetups and social gatherings and pot lucks and vendor visits. Smoking cigars or pipes is nicotine delivery with a lifestyle attached. When you come from THAT kind of smoking culture, vaping is no different.

inmortus

Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Thanks for your insight akatina. But that's kind of what I mean. There's so much attached to it, that it makes me wonder if (for example) quitting vaping could potentially be harder than quitting smoking...

I used to smoke 1 package a day, sometimes more. I would get really bad cravings and would be willing to get out of my house at 2am if I wanted to smoke and didn't have any cigarretes with me. However, there was no lifestyle attached to that. No fancy toys, flavors, gadgets, etc. Having those with vaping is kind of what makes me wonder if vaping could be more addictive (even if just from a psychological point of view)...

Skribble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
Texas
Vaping is addictive, it's just the nature of the beast. It's like taking smoking to a whole new level, albeit a much healthier level. You can do it in places you couldn't before, you tell yourself it's safer(it is), so you do it more. There is no relative beginning or end like a analog, you can chain vape as little or as much as you like.

This isn't even getting into the addictive purchasing if mods and juices. Though, I would take a Vaping addiction over a analog addiction any day of the week. Even if you vape a lot and purchase a lot of mods, in he long run its going to save you thousands and more importantly, your life.

samazon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2012
MS
I think it may depend on the type of smoker you were. Most of us were cigarette smokers so we didn't see the "hobby" side of smoking. We simply went to the gas station, got a pack, and maintained our nic levels.

My father owned a cigar store for several years and vaping reminds me a LOT of cigar and pipe culture. There are so many different varietals to try; even after a stroke my father can smoke a cigar and tell you if it is Nicaraguan shade grown or not. There are also accessories out the yin yang: lighters, cases, ashtrays, organizers, humidors, pouches, travel cases, etc. etc. etc. There are meetups and social gatherings and pot lucks and vendor visits. Smoking cigars or pipes is nicotine delivery with a lifestyle attached. When you come from THAT kind of smoking culture, vaping is no different.

Absolutely this. There's also a pleasure you take in vaping that is entirely different from the pleasure you take in smoking. I thoroughly enjoy vaping, and even if I stop doing it "habitually" or to get nicotine, I'll probably still do it every so often just to enjoy the juices I like and when I'm at vape meets - also, I'd rather pick up a bottle of 18mg than a "stinkie" if it comes to that.

Last edited:

Saintly1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Gulfport, MS
Some of it depends on how you smoked but part of it also depends on whether or not you have an "addictive personality". I do have an addictive personality so I can definitely see myself getting addicted to vaping more than I was with smoking. When I started vaping my intention was to stick within my smoking budget which was about $200/month. I've been vaping for 2 weeks and so far have already spent more than my monthly budget and I plan to spend more when I get paid Friday! That will probably calm down once I have exhausted my experimenting and I settle on what I want to use and how I want to use it.

We have a handful of e-cig stores in my area and some of them have vaping lounges where people can just come in and sit, chat, and vape, much like cigar shops that akatina mentioned. I don't see myself getting that far into it but you never know. Right now I'm quite content coming here and seeing what everyone is talking about and trying new things.

Kellicros

Jan 22, 2013
Malaysia
Let me explain my question first, as I am really intrigued by this. I like vaping. I just recently started and haven't smoked analogues in a week. That's actually a record for me, so I am very happy. Not only that, I really have no cravings for analogues and have already started to dislike the smell. However, I am intrigued on whether I should be worried about becoming an addict to vaping. Here's my train of thoughts:
  • I intend to quit.
  • I am currently smoking 25mg liquid.
  • I already bought 18mg, 12mg and 6mg.
  • It is my intention to cut down the nicotine level progressively until getting down to 0.

However:
  • Being new at this and having found this site was a revelation to me in regards to how many people vape, how many products there are, the thousands of juice flavors, the amount of e-cigarrete offerings, cartomizers, clearomizers, eGo this, eGo that, and so on and so forth.
  • I've been looking around and readings threads like the one about what everyone is vaping right now, what is waiting for you in the mail, the hundreds of flavor reviews, comments from "veteran" vapers, how many people go through a lot of mL of liquid a day, and so on.

So taking these last two things in my train of thoughts into account, I am intrigued on whether vaping could in a way be more "addictive". I mean, I have found myself wondering if the psychological aspect of it (thinking to yourself "this is much healthier than smoking") plus the options aspect of it (i.e. "yey! Cheesecake flavor!" or "great! X company just came out with a new clearomizer, I gotta try it!") could potentially make people get more hooked into vaping than they were onto smoking in the first place...

Do people vape more often than they used to smoke for example? Do you end up with higher nicotine levels in your blood than when you were smoking? Quitting smoking is hard; is it easier or harder to quit vaping?

Again, just intrigued about what everyone thinks! I'm sure a lot of things on this line could just be opinions as there is not that much hard data or research but I am intrigued and would love to hear what some experienced vapers think.
I start vaping because of my intention to quit smoking analog cigarettes, I take an advice from a friend who has been vaping for months, which I agreed a lot. Try to see vaping as an alternative to "quit smoking" instead of an alternative to analogue cigarettes. I started with 12mg because I used to smoke a "light" pack a day. But after a months, I found myself being more addicted to vap than analogue cigarettes, start noticing how I tend to vap a lot more than i used to smoke. Worried, I started to cut down on the nic level, and end up mixing my own juice with 0 nicotine. After a few weeks, I'm happy with the fact that I am vaping for the habit, not the addiction. lol.

hvac999

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Nicotine in itself is, of course, highly addictive. Your secret to stopping will be NOT to go down on nicotine too fast. If you do it gradually you stand a MUCH better chance of stopping. Some people just like the vaping experience and will continue to vape 0 nicotine. I feel that is OK too. I will probably do that myself.

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
Smoking isn't 1 addiction, it's 3. There's the nic, there's all the extra junk in the smoke, and there's the physical act of smoking. Three separate things.

Transitioning to vaping let me cut out the addiction to the "extra junk" while keep the nicotine and physical ritual of "smoking". Cutting the addiction to nicotine is the next step for those that choose to take it. Once the chemical addictions are overcome it's then up to the individual to decide if they want to stop the physical ritual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread