Are there Addictive Properties in Analog Smokes Other than Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
I just started vaping about a week ago and I find that if I haven't had an analogue in several hours, I start craving one and have some breathing difficulties. After I smoke an analogue, this goes away. Was wondering if there's some other compound in an analogue that I am craving/addicted to other than nicotine. Has anyone else had this problem and what would you suggest to do about it? Thanks.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Just had a thought. Sometimes anxiety triggers breathing difficulties.

If you are experiencing mild anxiety and you are having cravings, it might be that the nicotine levels are lower than what you are used to. The cartridges they call "high" contain 16 mg. of nicotine. I found that was not strong enough to control my symptoms. I ordered 24 mg. liquid and refilled my own. That cleared things up for me.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
I am vaping on 11mg. right now. Used to smoke 15 to 20 ultra light analogues a day. I've gotten that down to between 8 and 10 a day so far. Have been on an SSRI for years for anxiety so that's why I was thinking there's something in the analogues that I'm missing that's causing the symptoms. At first I thought I might be getting TOO much nicotine with the vaping, but maybe it's not enough so I might try a higher mg. liquid as you suggested.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
I just started vaping about a week ago and I find that if I haven't had an analogue in several hours, I start craving one and have some breathing difficulties. After I smoke an analogue, this goes away. Was wondering if there's some other compound in an analogue that I am craving/addicted to other than nicotine. Has anyone else had this problem and what would you suggest to do about it? Thanks.

They are psychologically addictive. The process of igniting, dragging, etc are behaviors I enjoy. I could smoke tea leaves and would enjoy it. I don't even smoke for nicotine.

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I think so. I'll tell you why........

When I first started vaping I would have the urge to have a analog. Immediately after the analog, I would want another.......I mean WANT ANOTHER!! After vaping for 3 weeks I could set my PV down and not touch it for 45 minutes.......but not the analogs. I would want one after the other. It was at that moment I decided not to give in to the analogs anymore. I felt as if they were calling me to chainsmoke.......like I wasn't getting something out of them that I WAS getting from vaping. Since mid-October I have been analog free, as in NONE..........all vapor for me!

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
Well, that's where I'd like to be eventually, all vapour (and 0 mg. nicotine!). And I know what you mean, it's difficult switching between the two - I have found if I smoke butts I crave them more, but if I switch off to vapour I have a tough time putting it down. Maybe it's the novelty or the fact that I haven't quite mastered the technique yet, but it's addictive in its own right. At least not as damaging to your health though.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Well, that's where I'd like to be eventually, all vapour (and 0 mg. nicotine!). And I know what you mean, it's difficult switching between the two - I have found if I smoke butts I crave them more, but if I switch off to vapour I have a tough time putting it down. Maybe it's the novelty or the fact that I haven't quite mastered the technique yet, but it's addictive in its own right. At least not as damaging to your health though.

I think you need higher nicotine. I tried 16mg and it did nothing to keep me off analogs really. I would go a while longer than usual between smokes, vaping like a fiend in the those times, and then usually chain smoke 2 cigs instead of one.

I am now happily vaping 36mg and that "something is missing" feeling is Almost gone. There is still a feeling knawing at me in the back of my mind, but it's not so pronounced that I actually do anything about it, and it's getting better by the day.

MrNYFC

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
New York
www.vaporflow.com
Addictive chemicals or not, after a long enough period of time the human body will crave them because of their exclusion.

Many people say caffiene is an addictive substance, and they feel sluggish WITHOUT it...we have plenty of chemicals in our body to not make us feel sluggish, but for some reason, when caffeine is introduced into the body we become physically and mentally dependant on it.

Let's think about it: why are there over 4000 chemicals in 1 cigarette? Taste?? These substances increase the addictive nature of cigarette smoking.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Raven1, I'm in agreement to say you may want to jump up your nicotine density for awhile, from 11mg now to maybe 18mg.....don't let the fact that you smoked light or ultra-light cigarettes has less to do with the amount of nicotine in them than the chemicals added to them. The dirty little secret from Big Tobacco is that even with less nicotine, say for example they would add some formaldehyde which would in effect make the nicotine behave more like a free-base dose of nicotine.....you were still getting far more of A HIT than that label suggested. Yes, they lied!
You're feeling queasy probably from the cigarettes, but a little 'flighty' stomach from the e-cig, then my suggestion would be to increase the nicotine for awhile, until you find your comfort level.
After that happens, maybe in a month or so, start dropping the nicotine back down. You will not believe how painless and fret-free it can be. During the first month or two you may have an 'energy' spike, sort of nervous stomach. That is withdrawal, also, I was starving to death! Had to really watch that.
I stopped a 3-pack a day 'light' cigarette habit on day one. I used 24mg juice for a month or two, then went down to 18mg, with NO withdrawal, now down to 12mg with NO withdrawal. So, now tell me, are we addicted to nicotine, or to the 'rest' of the cigarette and the act of inhalation. Serious questions. Everyone has variable symptoms, of course, but do work on some deep breathing exercises to help clear out your lungs. Watch over-eating, and do drink PLENTY of plain H2O.
Best of luck!

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
my $2/100:

My short answer from experience - Yes. It's been said that you can even get addicted to lighting your cigarette with stick matches or zippos. Cigarettes are known to contain chemicals to speed up the nicotine intake, etc. One could easily say a person can get addicted to those chemicals or the thousands of others.

I'm a ways into vaping and have found that with vaping the immediate satisfaction from vaping is not there like it would be like a cigarette. Mind you, i wont get near another analog, the smell just makes me sick now.

Another thing that I'm confused about is.... if I vape the totally wicked platinum ice juice (yes i mixed it down to 18mg strength) keeps me WIDE awake. I think it's time for me to start going down to maybe a 12mg juice later in the day or even lower so I can actually get some sleep.

I'm finding that Vaping in general is either addictive or it's just a continuation of the smoking analogs addiction. Either way when I tone down the nicotine in my juice more i get cranky for a few days until i get used to not having as much nicotine.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem

Hi Raven1, I thought you might find this interesting. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ne-maois-towards-more-effective-e-liquid.html

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Starving... LOL Kate! Me too. I was eating the refrigerator door for heaven's sake! :D Thankfully that has subsided and gone away. I also got acne which has since also cleared up. Smoker's cough disappeared on Day 2. My lungs feel so clear now and it's easier taking deep breaths. That alone is worth it right there!

The experience for everyone new to vaping is so varied and individual but a few common traits that probably be observed in all of us. For me it was easy going from 2 packs/day of analogs to 1 pack for the entire first week while I fiddled with my new 801. After that first week not a single analog has touched these lips! I was a smoker for 50 years so longer than most of you here because I'm older than dirt you see. :p

In the beginning the urge would rear its ugly head now and then but I got rid of my lighters, I removed the ashtrays etc. Eventually you don't even think about analogs and my husband's cigs smell less than enchanting now. :D He's still smoking but since we hit on the right model (401/dipping) for him he has cut his smoking in half, so there's still hope for him.

I started at 36 mg and have stepped down to 18mg - 24 mg during the day and 12 mg at night. If I don't go light at night I'll stay wide awake until 5 am I have discovered. :p I will step down more as my journey continues.

The funny thing is I never intended to quit smoking because I really loved it... it just kinda happened.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Thanks Travis, you make a good point. I do want to reduce and eventually eliminate my nicotine intake, but maybe I'm going about reducing it too quickly. I just figured since I was smoking 3/4 pack of ultra lights a day I could start vaping with a lower level of nicotine and get by ok.

I believe that nicotine affects people differently. I was a 2+ pack a day lights smoker and need 36mg to function pretty much, but my mother, who smoked 3-4 packs a day of lights is just fine on 24mg. The way you smoked may have some to do with it. When I smoked, I would take deep breaths and hold it in, therefore absorbing more nicotine per cigarette into my body. I would also smoke my cigarettes to the filter most times.

You really won't lose anything by stepping up the nicotine and seeing if that helps, as if it's too much you can always sell it or cut it down to less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread