Status
Not open for further replies.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
Just depends on the individual I suppose. Since Ive gotten my REO and RM2, started rebuilding coils and buying/vaping unflavored nic base vaping is much cheaper than smoking ever was. But if you are still chasing that "perfect vape" then I can see how it could easily get out of control spending wise.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
ATM - I'm paying £1.99p/10ml for counterfeit name-brand fluid, I'd certainly like to hear of any way I could do better than that.

The cheapest (rechargeable) e-cig I've been able to find is the Vapourlites for £6.99p. The pressure sensor in the battery tube isn't a mature technology - if you don't detatch the cartomiser tip for refilling, the fluid runs into the battery tube and destroys the pressure sensor. The solid state switch in the sensor also drops a significant portion of the battery voltage, so they only just work!

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Napa, California
For me it has been much more expensive. I think I have finally settled into my perfect setup and favorite juice now so I can see it getting much more affordable. Mvp2, protank2 and AiV 'twas brilling...doesn't get much better than that

Remember, you should "pro-rate" device costs over a year or so, so monthly out of pocket costs are very affordable.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Yes it can get pricey to get started, but think about this, there are plenty of PV's available that you would only have to buy ONCE. They will last for years.
    Now how long will a couple of $70 cartons of cigarettes last?

The real expense to vape is e-liquids because once we use it, it's gone. So the sooner a person learns how to DiY, the sooner they will start to save money.

Funny, but it seemed like my wife never noticed the 10-15 bucks I was spending every day for cigarettes, but DAMN did she ever notice when I spent $160 for a good PV that will probably out live me.

Last edited:

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2012
    Napa, California
    ATM - I'm paying £1.99p/10ml for counterfeit name-brand fluid, I'd certainly like to hear of any way I could do better than that.

The cheapest (rechargeable) e-cig I've been able to find is the Vapourlites for £6.99p. The pressure sensor in the battery tube isn't a mature technology - if you don't detatch the cartomiser tip for refilling, the fluid runs into the battery tube and destroys the pressure sensor. The solid state switch in the sensor also drops a significant portion of the battery voltage, so they only just work!

I would suggest a Innokin MVP 2.0. Doesn't require additional batteries or charger and cost about $40 here in US. Very inexpensive, especially as it should last a year or more. Even FastTech carries them.

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2012
    Napa, California
    For me this year, big savings by vapeing
    What I smoked were $60/carton X 5 cartons/mo=$300
    or $3600/yr..
    Ive spent $500 total! this year on a couple mods,tanks,and Diy supplies:vapor:

Excellent! I was doing about the same, my wife about 3 cartons and my niece about 4 cartons. It does add up, and FAST. More important, there's no smokers in the family now and we feel great.

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2012
    Napa, California

At the risk of being attacked for my poor taste, check FastTech. I buy from other vendors, but I like their Strawberry Cheesecake and my wife likes their menthol. Only $5.00/50ml or so with free worldwide shipping. We've used their e-liquid for a year so far without a problem. It is certainly worth a try.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I would suggest a Innokin MVP 2.0. Doesn't require additional batteries or charger and cost about $40 here in US. Very inexpensive, especially as it should last a year or more. Even FastTech carries them.

Just understand that comes with it's down side. After something like 300 charge cycles it becomes a disposable, and you can't pick & choose what battery cells you feel safe using.

alkaiser

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    www.sjchon.com
    when i started vaping, i went straight for a mech mod, kayfun lite, charger, 3 batteries, some kanthal wire, and some juice.

now all i need to ever restock on is juice and wire (when i run out of 100' of wire)

the initial investment was about $200, which is about 2 months of analogs for me. but over a course of a year, it will definitely be cheaper.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    At the risk of being attacked for my poor taste, check FastTech. I buy from other vendors, but I like their Strawberry Cheesecake and my wife likes their menthol. Only $5.00/50ml or so with free worldwide shipping. We've used their e-liquid for a year so far without a problem. It is certainly worth a try.

Thanks - looks worth checking, the cashflow in my card acc' is at a pretty low ebb ATM - I should have a look at the prices and find some cash to bolster the acc'.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    when i started vaping, i went straight for a mech mod, kayfun lite, charger, 3 batteries, some kanthal wire, and some juice.

now all i need to ever restock on is juice and wire (when i run out of 100' of wire)

the initial investment was about $200, which is about 2 months of analogs for me. but over a course of a year, it will definitely be cheaper.

You can salvage the resistance wire from industrial wire-wound potentiometers (once you've found a type with the right wire gage) - When I was at boarding school, I used a tiny hand-wound coil of the stuff to light cigarettes, got through a lot of D-cells though!

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2012
    Napa, California
    Just understand that comes with it's down side. After something like 300 charge cycles it becomes a disposable, and you can't pick & choose what battery cells you feel safe using.

Ah, but 300 charge cycles @ up to two days use per charge, is a long time. If you only averaged 1 day per charge, the thing would last some 10 months, or $4 per month. And decent batteries (which also degrade) and decent charger would cost you more than the MVP. And the MVP comes with an iClear (which I honestly don't like). Just saying that it is hard to vape cheaper, even with Ego's and clearomizers.

I admit I just like the MVP, as I do have an SVD, Nemesis clone and now a VTR, but it is also the least expensive of the lot.

segani

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 10, 2013
    Long Hill, NJ
    I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?

i was doing some quick and dirty math - assuming you stick with the same setup, it can be much cheaper.

i smoked 1.5 a day, 7-8$ a pack - rounded down to 10$ a day for simplicity sakes

juice - on sale from halo @ .63/ml, roughly 5ml/day - $3.15 day, 22.05 a week
    coil/wick - call it 1 per week - 2.50

so 22.55/week, vs 70$+

obviously very basic math, not including extra batteries/etc, but it works out long term staying with the same rig - i can't see burning through the 47.45 a week without going into tinker mode.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

If you don't need the nicotine, you can do like me and just try glycerin from the pharmacy; add 10 to 30 % bottled water by volume to thin it.

Or just make that glycerin+water and use it to stretch the eliq that you bought.

quiter

ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    hanging around
    If you don't turn it into a hobby it is and even as hobbies go it's not expensive compared with many. Also it can be an expensive or an in-expensive hobby as well. Buy clones and it's not very expensive and you can save a lot more by making your own juice. Also it's a lot cheaper than it was 5 years ago.

The cheapest way to go is to make your own juice and build your own coils to use on a cheap mechanical mod. Your biggest cost for your setup will be the batteries, those you should never go cheap on. Still you can buy excellent batteries, a clone mod and topper and a decent charger for around $50. Your DIY juice will cost a little more but still not that much more and it will also save you a bundle over time.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2013
    KCMO
    I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?

Could be. But for me it hasn't. At least not yet. Too many neat things to buy!!! lol I think I'm done for a bit. Other than juice. But I do have a good stash of that built up too. I could not spend a dollar for at least a month probably 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread