The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Isaias

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Uncle, Jul 31, 2020.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Uncle

Uncle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Why thanks for your concern. . . And you're quite right, usually if a hurricane is coming this way I do go to my friends in West Palm Beach normally. However, stayed right where I am, in my apartment.. . Absolutely NO shelters - No matter what happen, especially given Covid . . . Much safer here where I am. . . The only caveat is if there was No electricity for 3 or more days, then it would be to a hotel/motel - NEED AC . . . Again - THANKS ! :wub:

BTW: Really hope You & "Hubby" are ready for whatever may come . . . Please Stay Safe . . . Just Sayin' . . . :wub:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bea-FL

Bea-FL Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Well folks it looks like Isaias won’t be a hurricane in Florida after all. Yeay!!
    3C413F75-56A7-449E-A39E-DE5D12B38044.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Uncle

YEA :rickroll:

So until the next time we meet over a storm / hurricane coming towards us . . . I guess we'll just have to start putting everything away and open up once again . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    The local Lowes actually has generators in stock.

I'm gonna ensure that FPL's power stays on here by picking one up shortly. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Well it seems to be making a landfall just N of PB with outer band estimated sustained winds of 61mph on the shores high side of Tequesta. Most of the heavy winds have been on other side of the storm for this one. And they're now reaching land.

I've been monitoring a center point of high temp (~87º) sea water rotation (an eddy) just N of Freeport which has been origin of high convection and explosive expansion of the storm's cloud cover outward since sunrise (and not the center of wind rotation near shore). Seems quite interesting and unusual. Can't help but think that this hasn't contributed to the wind factor if correct. Although it's forecast, as so many of late, to hug the coast and dump all the way to Hatteras I'd wager this squall diminishes with northward movement from this.

Good luck all and stay dry. :)

Some snaps for the curious…

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.17.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.56.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.00.26 AM.png

A 2-hour timeline from about sunrise would be interesting. Just no time this a.m.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Uncle

:blink:
    If only - Still concerned about electricity going out around here, but absolutely NO generators allowed here in the apartment complex . . . :mad:

Then again given most of my neighbors somewhat limited abilities - it's very understandable . . . :blink:

Would be wishfull thinking and a miricle if the Managment put in a major generator for the complex . . . :eek:

Or - FPL- Actually fixed the lines and transformers that go through the property . . . , Last time Hurricaine came though - electricity was out so long, a neighbor hung a white bedsheet on her balcany with the word Help in big red letters (made the front page of the Sun Sentinel) . . . :blink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    I guess your definition of "landfall" is different than mine?

The center of circulation looks to be a good 25-30 miles off shore from Boynton Beach..?

I like Wundermap for watching it more-or-less in real-time, using both the Radar and the Satellite layers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I'd agree. That was as per Windy's NAM rendering, since updated…

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.52.44 AM.png

Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by Windy's "forecast" this time around, which has consistently put the track on the left edge of the official forecasts, and that remains the case even now. Here's the 11:00 AM update:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Just glad this hasn't been a cluster like the last "big" one that sent 10 mio of us to Central FL right in harm's way. These storms bear watching always. But with <85º sea water temp's I'm always appropriately circumspect. Andrew, which I lived thru had 92º+ water through Aug forward and it was a very dry rain free latter Summer. One of the most beautiful I've ever seen in FL. In contrast this has been a cool wet El Niño like season so far. And I hope it stays that way! We've got enough to cope with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    The generator has been procured. Some assembly is still required. Fuel must still be obtained. The station closest to me has the good, ethanol-free stuff.

The weather here (northern Flagler County coast) is still remarkably calm.

The 2:00 PM forecast:

[​IMG]

It's like the don't want to give up on the possibility of a true landfall around Vero Beach..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Sorry to hear that Ross. I would have gladly invited you down for some drinks out by the pool instead. It's sunny here.

Good luck. ;)

p.s. I'm sure you'll get some good use out of it, sooner or later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    At the moment, it's sunny here too, go figure. Of course, 10 minutes ago we had a rain shower; so like a normal summer afternoon in Florida. :)

Do they allow vaping at that pool?

10 gallons of fuel have now been procured. I'm 100% fine with never having to use this generator. But having it gives my wife comfort knowing that the food we have in the house won't spoil, and me knowing that I can do my work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Don't want to get too into it, but I've been targeted here…by resident activists and yes, management. I go almost everywhere else and pretty much vape freely. Except very NOT laid back Flanigan's whose on my SL for anti-vaping policy from way back. So I don't where clearly indicated or proscribed.

Since CoV however and the general dictatorial behavior of our Major, our board and property management (a national concern) sees fit to insist on rules I don't see clearly adopted by informed quorum vote in our community. I surmise this knowing more than a few owners and their lack of awareness. One such silly rule insists the BoD and designated PM's may disallow any leases without cause. I think this runs afoul of statute however we're all running around in fear these days, so whose to know.

Vaping? Everyone's in the closet with all the surveillance cameras being installed of late. I vape wherever I want and can, until I can't. That applies to masks too. The exception being elevators. I avoid those advertising that they are ill. Nobody discloses that there are bone fide medical and other health exceptions, that fed law like ADA clearly limits lack of accommodation or exception. So basically, I'll do what I have to do to live my life and protect it, period. As we all should be doing.

Brave new world we are entering. Hope the sun holds up.

p.s. It's always good to please the wifey, for reasons.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    5:00 PM forecast update:

[​IMG]

Looks like they finally gave up trying to predict an actual landfall in FL. :banana:

The weather is still pretty calm here.

Not sure I'm gonna bother bringing the potted plants in.

Generator is assembled, sump filled with oil.

Still have to finish the cord though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Just to add some closure here (sorry I didn't get to it earlier):

The storm's passing last night was pretty much a non-event. The ocean got pretty angry, but we had very little wind or rain, and the power never even glitched. We've had plenty of nights in the winter with stronger winds, and plenty of summer afternoon thunderstorms with more rain. The angry ocean did pull some sand off the beach, but that's expected, and it will be be back. No damage to the dune line, at least right where I am.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Uncle

Other then a couple of "swells" going past in the afternoon and late night/early morning not much else happened here - Thanfully . . . Glad to know everything was alright with You & "Wifey" . . . Just hope things went okay for everyone else too . . . Just Sayin' . . . :thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  18. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Sorry for the folks at Myrtle. Storm seems determined to give D.C. a punch in the nose. Wish I had something more pithy to say but sackin it in for some needed rest.

Good night all and g'luck. :)

19. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Sadly, it looks like it will pass to the east of DC, but Philly is right in the middle of the predicted path. My business is about 20 miles outside of Philly and well within the cone. With 65 mph winds predicted, this afternoon could be interesting for the folks up there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Uncle

OK - Gonna have to check in on a few friends in Philly/New Hope Area/NJ/NYC today, just hope they don't go through what we did when Sandy hit us . . . :(

BTW: 20 miles outside of Philly ? :blink: Where ? :blink: What's the business ? :blink: