• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Isaias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Uncle if I remember from Irma you stayed home or went north? I just hate to think of you in a shelter…impossible to social distance and would everyone be masked?

Why thanks for your concern. . . And you're quite right, usually if a hurricane is coming this way I do go to my friends in West Palm Beach normally. However, stayed right where I am, in my apartment.. . Absolutely NO shelters - No matter what happen, especially given Covid . . . Much safer here where I am. . . The only caveat is if there was No electricity for 3 or more days, then it would be to a hotel/motel - NEED AC . . . Again - THANKS ! :wub:

BTW: Really hope You & "Hubby" are ready for whatever may come . . . Please Stay Safe . . . Just Sayin' . . . :wub:

Last edited:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Well folks it looks like Isaias won’t be a hurricane in Florida after all. Yeay!!
3C413F75-56A7-449E-A39E-DE5D12B38044.jpeg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Well it seems to be making a landfall just N of PB with outer band estimated sustained winds of 61mph on the shores high side of Tequesta. Most of the heavy winds have been on other side of the storm for this one. And they're now reaching land.

I've been monitoring a center point of high temp (~87º) sea water rotation (an eddy) just N of Freeport which has been origin of high convection and explosive expansion of the storm's cloud cover outward since sunrise (and not the center of wind rotation near shore). Seems quite interesting and unusual. Can't help but think that this hasn't contributed to the wind factor if correct. Although it's forecast, as so many of late, to hug the coast and dump all the way to Hatteras I'd wager this squall diminishes with northward movement from this.

Good luck all and stay dry. :)

Some snaps for the curious…

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.17.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.56.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.00.26 AM.png

A 2-hour timeline from about sunrise would be interesting. Just no time this a.m.

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
:blink:
The local Lowes actually has generators in stock.

I'm gonna ensure that FPL's power stays on here by picking one up shortly. :D

If only - Still concerned about electricity going out around here, but absolutely NO generators allowed here in the apartment complex . . . :mad:

Then again given most of my neighbors somewhat limited abilities - it's very understandable . . . :blink:

Would be wishfull thinking and a miricle if the Managment put in a major generator for the complex . . . :eek:

Or - FPL- Actually fixed the lines and transformers that go through the property . . . , Last time Hurricaine came though - electricity was out so long, a neighbor hung a white bedsheet on her balcany with the word Help in big red letters (made the front page of the Sun Sentinel) . . . :blink:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well it seems to be making a landfall just N of PB
I guess your definition of "landfall" is different than mine?

The center of circulation looks to be a good 25-30 miles off shore from Boynton Beach..?

I like Wundermap for watching it more-or-less in real-time, using both the Radar and the Satellite layers.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I guess your definition of "landfall" is different than mine?

The center of circulation looks to be a good 25-30 miles off shore from Boynton Beach..?

I like Wundermap for watching it more-or-less in real-time, using both the Radar and the Satellite layers.

I'd agree. That was as per Windy's NAM rendering, since updated…

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.52.44 AM.png

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Just glad this hasn't been a cluster like the last "big" one that sent 10 mio of us to Central FL right in harm's way. These storms bear watching always. But with <85º sea water temp's I'm always appropriately circumspect. Andrew, which I lived thru had 92º+ water through Aug forward and it was a very dry rain free latter Summer. One of the most beautiful I've ever seen in FL. In contrast this has been a cool wet El Niño like season so far. And I hope it stays that way! We've got enough to cope with.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The generator has been procured. Some assembly is still required. Fuel must still be obtained. The station closest to me has the good, ethanol-free stuff.

The weather here (northern Flagler County coast) is still remarkably calm.

The 2:00 PM forecast:

A8kTxSk.png

It's like the don't want to give up on the possibility of a true landfall around Vero Beach..?

• Agree
Reactions: Uncle

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The generator has been procured. Some assembly is still required. Fuel must still be obtained. The station closest to me has the good, ethanol-free stuff.

The weather here (northern Flagler County coast) is still remarkably calm.

The 2:00 PM forecast:

A8kTxSk.png

It's like the don't want to give up on the possibility of a true landfall around Vero Beach..?

Sorry to hear that Ross. I would have gladly invited you down for some drinks out by the pool instead. It's sunny here.

Good luck. ;)

p.s. I'm sure you'll get some good use out of it, sooner or later.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I would have gladly invited you down for some drinks out by the pool instead. It's sunny here.
At the moment, it's sunny here too, go figure. Of course, 10 minutes ago we had a rain shower; so like a normal summer afternoon in Florida. :)

Do they allow vaping at that pool?

10 gallons of fuel have now been procured. I'm 100% fine with never having to use this generator. But having it gives my wife comfort knowing that the food we have in the house won't spoil, and me knowing that I can do my work.

• Winner

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
At the moment, it's sunny here too, go figure. Of course, 10 minutes ago we had a rain shower; so like a normal summer afternoon in Florida. :)

Do they allow vaping at that pool?

10 gallons of fuel have now been procured. I'm 100% fine with never having to use this generator. But having it gives my wife comfort knowing that the food we have in the house won't spoil, and me knowing that I can do my work.

Don't want to get too into it, but I've been targeted here…by resident activists and yes, management. I go almost everywhere else and pretty much vape freely. Except very NOT laid back Flanigan's whose on my SL for anti-vaping policy from way back. So I don't where clearly indicated or proscribed.

Since CoV however and the general dictatorial behavior of our Major, our board and property management (a national concern) sees fit to insist on rules I don't see clearly adopted by informed quorum vote in our community. I surmise this knowing more than a few owners and their lack of awareness. One such silly rule insists the BoD and designated PM's may disallow any leases without cause. I think this runs afoul of statute however we're all running around in fear these days, so whose to know.

Vaping? Everyone's in the closet with all the surveillance cameras being installed of late. I vape wherever I want and can, until I can't. That applies to masks too. The exception being elevators. I avoid those advertising that they are ill. Nobody discloses that there are bone fide medical and other health exceptions, that fed law like ADA clearly limits lack of accommodation or exception. So basically, I'll do what I have to do to live my life and protect it, period. As we all should be doing.

Brave new world we are entering. Hope the sun holds up.

p.s. It's always good to please the wifey, for reasons.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
5:00 PM forecast update:

WlUTbZs.png

Looks like they finally gave up trying to predict an actual landfall in FL. :banana:

The weather is still pretty calm here.

Not sure I'm gonna bother bringing the potted plants in.

Generator is assembled, sump filled with oil.

Still have to finish the cord though.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Just to add some closure here (sorry I didn't get to it earlier):

The storm's passing last night was pretty much a non-event. The ocean got pretty angry, but we had very little wind or rain, and the power never even glitched. We've had plenty of nights in the winter with stronger winds, and plenty of summer afternoon thunderstorms with more rain. The angry ocean did pull some sand off the beach, but that's expected, and it will be be back. No damage to the dune line, at least right where I am.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Storm seems determined to give D.C. a punch in the nose.
Sadly, it looks like it will pass to the east of DC, but Philly is right in the middle of the predicted path. My business is about 20 miles outside of Philly and well within the cone. With 65 mph winds predicted, this afternoon could be interesting for the folks up there.

Reactions: MacTechVpr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread