• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Isaias

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Sadly, it looks like it will pass to the east of DC, but Philly is right in the middle of the predicted path. My business is about 20 miles outside of Philly and well within the cone. With 65 mph winds predicted, this afternoon could be interesting for the folks up there.

OK - Gonna have to check in on a few friends in Philly/New Hope Area/NJ/NYC today, just hope they don't go through what we did when Sandy hit us . . . :(

Well looks like most of the winds have remained well W of the storm (and offshore). So this one's been pretty kind. They should all be so.

We'll bid a fond adieu to ISi-A-... now methinks.

Good luck all. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sump pump: You had one job!

XHYsyHK.jpg

Basement of my office up in PA. :mad:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Yea - Talked to a few friends . . . Mixed review of what happened there with the rain/wind (worst was tornado like winds - brought some trees down) . . . Thankfully all are safe and their homes, while slightly dented/wet, are good - just NEED to get cleane up . . . :banana:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
What a pain. My son's sump pump failed last year. I'm beginning to think that every place that needs one should have a backup.

Jees - Life for "Us" wouldn't be the same without Back-ups for the Back-ups for the Back-up no matter what it is for. . . Just sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What a pain. My son's sump pump failed last year. I'm beginning to think that every place that needs one should have a backup.
In this case, the pump is the backup. My business is coming up on 12 years in this building. It actually has very good passive drainage and didn't even have a pump until we ended up with some water in there during Sandy in 2012. But with roughly 6" of rain in a few hours yesterday, the little creek behind the building got high enough that the anti-backup valve in the passive system closed, leaving the pump as the only way to drain things. Shortly after the rain stopped and the water in the creek receded, it started to drain without the pump. By the end of the day, we only had a few puddles left on the floor.

I think the biggest problem with sump pumps is that in the kind of weather where you're likely to need one the most, there's a decent chance the power will go out as well. That wasn't our problem yesterday, but it's quite common, and then even a backup pump won't help.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
In this case, the pump is the backup. My business is coming up on 12 years in this building. It actually has very good passive drainage and didn't even have a pump until we ended up with some water in there during Sandy in 2012. But with roughly 6" of rain in a few hours yesterday, the little creek behind the building got high enough that the anti-backup valve in the passive system closed, leaving the pump as the only way to drain things. Shortly after the rain stopped and the water in the creek receded, it started to drain without the pump. By the end of the day, we only had a few puddles left on the floor.

I think the biggest problem with sump pumps is that in the kind of weather where you're likely to need one the most, there's a decent chance the power will go out as well. That wasn't our problem yesterday, but it's quite common, and then even a backup pump won't help.

Sad to hear. Been there sadly. Glad was over quickly.
Quite a storm after it got over land. Incredible. Who would'a thought it?

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread