Issues with Aegis Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcelk

Dec 24, 2018
Hi all,

i have bought a aegis legend approx 3 months ago. Suddently, the box stopped working. I cannot turn it on. The batteries are full, the LCD is on as well but nothing is displayed. I tried a firmware upgrade but the box is not detected by the PC.

Any ideas how i can solve the issue?

Warranty would be an option but they want 20$ for sending it back and then i can also buy a new one...

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
detecting the unit by win 7 was not as per their destructions
you also need to hold the + & - keys at the same time as the fire key to get the computer to recognise the mod ( or at least thats what finally worked for me )
the update is not really an update its an install ,, as the pos parking in the mod before you do it is really not acceptable in a production model .. really not acceptable for them to not already install working firmware before its off the production line .. expecting customers to do it for them is strange to say the least

the failure of the battery door catch reported by so many is likely because of the inside diameter of the battery holder being to small and hence tight on a lot of battery types
the tapping then needed to get the batteries out is invariably on the battery door catch .. being cheap alloy it will crack and break very quickly

Geekvape_Official

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2017
www.geekvape.com
Hi all,

i have bought a aegis legend approx 3 months ago. Suddently, the box stopped working. I cannot turn it on. The batteries are full, the LCD is on as well but nothing is displayed. I tried a firmware upgrade but the box is not detected by the PC.

Any ideas how i can solve the issue?

Warranty would be an option but they want 20$ for sending it back and then i can also buy a new one...

Sorry for the problem. Please follow the tutorial step by step to update the firmware : .
If you still have difficulty in updating the firmware, please contact us by Email, support@geekvape.com

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
detecting the unit by win 7 was not as per their destructions
you also need to hold the + & - keys at the same time as the fire key to get the computer to recognise the mod ( or at least thats what finally worked for me )
the update is not really an update its an install ,, as the pos parking in the mod before you do it is really not acceptable in a production model .. really not acceptable for them to not already install working firmware before its off the production line .. expecting customers to do it for them is strange to say the least

the failure of the battery door catch reported by so many is likely because of the inside diameter of the battery holder being to small and hence tight on a lot of battery types
the tapping then needed to get the batteries out is invariably on the battery door catch .. being cheap alloy it will crack and break very quickly

Developers reply on public feedback in order to iron out issues with any kind of written code, be it software, a BIOS or Firmware. It is impossible for a developer to continue testing, apply updates and meet production and release targets. Even companies with an infinite amount of recourses such as Apple release products that require future updating. Geekvape has been applying the new firmware based on when the product was produced – my latest Legend came with FW version 1.1

According to the OP, there is no issue with the battery door, so not sure why this has been brought up. But as pointed out in another thread, the battery compartment measures 18.75mm per cell. This is more than enough to accept a 18mm cell plus allow a margin of variance.

@marcelk - as per @Geekvape_Official , send their support a email. They have been helpful with a few other users in the past. Good luck!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yes, 20$ is cheap but i will not buy something from geekvape again.
There are so many others with the same issue if i look at the geekvape community forum.

anyway - thanks again.

The choice is yours whether you wish to purchase another Geekvape product again. But just to point out, you are only looking at the small percentage of those who may have had an issue and not the millions of pleased customers. The extremely happy Legend owners within ECF is proof of this. Geekvape has also been very active within these forums and most willing to give support, even with products that were not purchased through authorized dealers. Personally, I have not seen another manufacture put forth the same amount of effort.

Where electronics are part of manufacturing, especially at this price point, it is impossible to produce a product that is 100% failure proof – hence why we have warranties. It is unfortunate you are experiencing issues, but you are receiving support 3 months after you purchased the product. It only takes a few moments to read through the many troubled threads within these forums to see that others do not enjoy the same level of support with other manufactures.

marcelk

Dec 24, 2018
Thats fair. But it seems like that some of the Aegis legend boxes have some serious quality issues like battery door, power on issue etc.

I can just say that the other mods i had before didn´t had such issues. That´s maybe just my experience but again, if i compare the aegis with all others i had before it´s worse. Warranty would be fine, but again, i have to pay 20$ + shipping.

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
ok i will only answer this once
it just becomes a pointless war with a troll after that

your ' facts ' are not accurate nor do they reflect use in the real world,

i am not going to redo the research i used before making my recomendations
( removed reference to trolling )
go find the actual diameter of 18650 manufactured batteries from the manufacturers specs and not the use the basic form factor as your ' fact' ( 18 x 65 ) on battery size
the rest just takes to long to explain to someone who will never accept them

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

go find the actual diameter of 18650 manufactured batteries from the manufacturers specs and not the use the basic form factor as your ' fact' ( 18 x 65 ) on battery size

Sony VTC5A = 18.3mm
LG HG2 = 18.35mm
Samsung 25R = 18.33mm

And just to throw a couple of rewraps into the mix…

Hohm Tech = 18.23mm
Efest = 18.25mm

Should I continue or do you have a cell that is actually larger than 18.75mm in diameter.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

You’re right….my facts are not accurate. Seems I was off by 0.04mm.

Also found some more 18650 battery diameters for you.

Efan 18.5mm
AWT = 18.39mm
Nitecore = 18.1mm
Sanyo = 18.5mm
Xtar = 18.4mm

Legend Battery.jpg

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
ok fair enough
so now you now know the dimentions are not iso standard
but are peculiar to each manufacturer within a certain range .. you only gave 1 measurement you should have looked for the tolerance as well

now all of a sudden that easy 0.75mm clearance is down to less than 0.25 in some cases
split that in half for both sides and we are at 0.13mm before we start to add in any ovality of the unit or battery

add some dust / hair / particles and things start going wrong real quick
all of a sudden some people with fatter batteries are having to tap the unit to get them out .. check the design and the highest part also known as the bit thats going to hit any solid object first is the battery door catch .. its raised several mm above any other point
this is what we call a probable point of failure
exacerbate that with the batteries not sliding out easily and it becomes a multiple point of failure
also known as .. a bad design ...
somme hints for you
when you measure a round object .. you need to measure it again at 90 degrees to the first .. to check the ovality .. to be doubly sure you then do another set offsetby 45 degrees from the first set
never trust digital verniers .. i always use the old manual verniers to check then calibrate any digitals to them

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
ok fair enough
so now you now know the dimentions are not iso standard
but are peculiar to each manufacturer within a certain range .. you only gave 1 measurement you should have looked for the tolerance as well

now all of a sudden that easy 0.75mm clearance is down to less than 0.25 in some cases
split that in half for both sides and we are at 0.13mm before we start to add in any ovality of the unit or battery

add some dust / hair / particles and things start going wrong real quick
all of a sudden some people with fatter batteries are having to tap the unit to get them out .. check the design and the highest part also known as the bit thats going to hit any solid object first is the battery door catch .. its raised several mm above any other point
this is what we call a probable point of failure
exacerbate that with the batteries not sliding out easily and it becomes a multiple point of failure
also known as .. a bad design ...
somme hints for you
when you measure a round object .. you need to measure it again at 90 degrees to the first .. to check the ovality .. to be doubly sure you then do another set offsetby 45 degrees from the first set
never trust digital verniers .. i always use the old manual verniers to check then calibrate any digitals to them

I do not need to perform multiple measurements. With the many cells that I own, from multiple manufactures, some with aftermarket wraps, I am not having a problem as with the thousands, perhaps millions of other users. I see the Legend as being well within acceptable tolerance for majority of battery manufactures.

As for hair, dust or what ever else gets inside the battery compartment, that is an outside influence and should not be a factor. Also, understand that by double wrapping your cells you are stepping outside the norm and creating a dimension that could be beyond the acceptable limits. This is a personal choice and does not make the Legend, or any device for that matter a design flaw!

Regardless, the OP came here looking for assistance on how to either get his device working, or connected to a computer so he can attempt at rectifying his problem. He did not come here to be told how unacceptable a company is for not applying their latest firmware to what ever production batch he received. Or how improper it is for a company to expect their customers to perform the update themselves. Updates are not expected, they are provided for the user to choose! Like Geekvape is the only company in the world that follows this practice!

He also did not come here for an engineering lesson on tolerances, fat batteries or hairy compartments - battery size and or foreign debris was not even brought up! You made the attempt to derail the thread by discrediting the company, it practices and products. Not helpful at all.....and I got labeled as the troll!

• Winner
Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread