Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
I've read with these types of batteries you are NOT supposed to leave them on charge overnight or unattended. I believe the reported cases of them causing a fire are for this reason.
Reasonable guess but if you do some research or experience it yourself, you may find you are mistaken

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All of my 18650's have been used and charged in rotation and I still have several AW batts that are three years old and still hold a decent charge. I expect the iStick 50W may be good for a couple of years before the batteries get weak, especially if they aren't drained to cutoff. Top it off each morning for longer life.

Since the auto firing problem has come to light I'm unscrewing my tank before bed and verifying it's a turn or more from contacting the center pin by finding the break point and backing it off. When mine stops firing and says "No Atomizer", there's almost 3 turns left until it lifts off.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
I have never seen this issue personally, or any really with the ISticks I have been selling.. is this a wide spread issue?
Venting doesn't seem to be widespread. In several reported cases of auto fire, the attys were removed before causing overheating. iSmoka has a 90 day warranty on em.

KathyJ

May 5, 2015
New York
Hey guys long time lurker but since this happened I had to post. Me and my girlfriend bought an Istick 50 watt about 3 weeks ago, and last night I plugged if up to chatge, woke up unplugged it and went dang this thing is hot. 2 mins later it goes kaboom and catches on fire. Just figured I'd post this up to warn others. Don't trust the chargee to turn off the voltage to your batteries. I'm trying to upload pics but says file is too large.
Seems like Eleaf isn't really addressing a lot of known issues- I charge mine with Samsung wall wart and the same USB charger I use to charge tablets, etc. A big problem is juice getting into the USB slot-

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
Quite rare. The internet makes it seem common because a handful of people out of however many thousands have reported a problem. The manufacturer even states this is a high powered battery and you need to take care with it.
Are explosions common with eLeaf, or is this rare? I don't see lightening bolt on mine, just the battery icon flash. I can't be buying new batteries every time there is a bad report.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
a welcome_gorilla_2.gif

Killowatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Florida
From what I've read, most have failed from running sub ohm at high power, 35-40 watts. They over heat the boards because of no cooling vents, actually they are rapped in some type of foam, thus insulating and holding the heat in. I run mine at 12w to 15w, and they don't heat up the board, with a nautilus running a 1.8 ohm coil. I got the 50w's for the battery life, usually 4 days, and use a 1amp charger, get a little warm so no danger. I tested with a 2amp charger, and they got pretty hot, so only 1amp for me.

These have lipo batteries, not lithium, so they could be a lot more dangerous if not respected. They last a lot longer than lithium, that's so many peeps like them, even in RC cars and planes. More power and less weight and size.

From what I've read the 30w's have the same problem.

We have to remember theses are cheap chinese mods, no quality control, they only want our money, and we give it to them to save money. Me included, I have two 20w's, and two 50w's, enjoy using them all, but I also know what to expect if I push them to the limits, so I don't. I also use 3-4 mods at the same time, switching for different flavors each vape, so they don't have a chance to get hot.

I use a dna40 with an evolve board and quality switches for my high power vaping.

Tapin on S5

Last edited:

Killowatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Florida
In my opinion, and we all know what that can be, just because the specs say one thing, doesn't mean they can be ran like that all the time. A car can easily exceed 100mph, but if we do that all the time, we'll be car shopping a lot sooner than if we drove it normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread