It can be done....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
You know, for me it’s been an interesting journey, if not a Voyage of Discovery, since I pulled off of Tobacco Road after more than 50 years of happy travel on it, eight months ago on October the 17th last year.

As I’ve written before, I never intended to stop smoking when my daughter gave me an E Pipe back then - in fact having failed two Smoking Cessation courses using NRT and never having got beyond six weeks ( six miserable weeks with never a waking moment that I could not stop obsessing about my need to smoke) I did not believe I could live without smoking. On being given the pipe, my intention originally had been to take a couple of puffs of the thing, put it in a drawer and throw it in the bin, then when she’d gone home swear that it had broken and that I was terribly sad about it.

I did indeed take the couple of puffs, promise to give it a proper try later, and put it away in a drawer out of sight...then my conscience got the better of me ( it’s a Scottish thing - you cannot throw away a gift, even if you don’t like it) and the following week I took it back out.

To my amazement I got through the whole weekend without smoking...and without a craving. Shortly afterwards I bought another E Pipe and then went to Spain (where tobacco is cheap and plentiful) for the Winter. I was hardly there when to my real sadness one of the e pipes died and the plastic threads on the other one’s tank stripped.

Instead of breaking into one of the tins of Dunhill’s 965 in my stash and firing up one of the 28 pipes resident there, I took the next bus down to Fuengirola and visited the Vape shop, coming out with a Nautilus Mini, an iStick 30w and a packet of coils...the best purchases I ever made bar none.

The Nautilus and the iStick would have remained my kit for ever...but I joined this Forum and found that both in the EEC and the USA restriction were coming. Having, through the Miracle of vaping got off of tobacco and in my own mind now being committed to not smoking again, I started laying in stocks of kit, bought a couple of mech mods, learned how to build coils, discovered how to Drip and Squonk, and took up DIY- ing E Liquid.

vaping made the whole not smoking thing both easy and enjoyable - Christmas and New year were a real revelation; on both occasions I was offered really really good large expensive cigars while out at parties and was able - as I was enjoying my vaping so much - to turn them down without a moment’s regret. Back in Scotland in January when our street beside the River Teviot was flooded, I happily gave my pipe collection and large stocks of good tobacco to my cousin who had no interest in stopping smoking.

So where am I at in my journey now? The dippers, squonkers, box mods with replaceable batteries, mech mods, wires and cotton are in the “Future Proofing Box” and I’ve come full circle - the mainstay of my vaping is DIY unflavoured 16/18 strength liquid, vaped in a tank powered by an iStick… the Nautilus Minis haven’t had so much use this last three months - their own coils were unobtainable in Spain for the last few months and in Spanish heat I found the Triton Mini Clapton coils that I had to use ran too hot for me and ate batteries ( the ambient temperatures affected the battery chemistry ) so I discovered possibly vaping’s best kept secret - GS Air tanks ( cheap as the proverbial chips to buy, economical to run as their 0.78 ohm coils last me up to 8 weeks with clear DIY juice and offering a brilliant vape.... with coils readily available in most places). I now have four of these tanks with two more on order from China with even more discounts from their Dragon Boat Festival Sales... and I have built up a large stock of coils for them.

That’s my journey I hope all yours has been as enjoyable...and if anyone is reading this and contemplating taking up vaping to quit tobacco I hope it does show that there can indeed be hope at the end of the tunnel for even the most committed of heavy smokers.

Happy Vaping all!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Congrats on overcoming 50 years of ingrained tobacco use! That is a wonderful story, and your daughter must be so happy for you. For the moment it appears you're better off in the UK than the US as a vaper. The TPD certainly is strict, but to my knowledge, does not set up the types if insurmountable obstacles the recently passed rules in the US.

It is possible to stop using tobacco. Folks can go about it different ways. Like you, vaping worked for me. Everyone deserves to have a tool that works for them to stop smoking.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I smoked for 42 years, 2 1/2 packs a day for most of that time. I pictured myself as one of those smokers who'd be pulling the tube out of their throat to take a drag off a cigarette. I was getting pneumonia every year, and that didn't slow down my smoking a bit. I knew I would never quit, no matter what. I tried once to cut back. It was a living hell, and I ended up going back to my normal amount and then some. Just couldn't deal. Then I discovered vaping. No colorful story here though. ;) I received my little Joyetech starter kit and in 10 days, I was cigarette free.

When I think about it, it blows my mind. I can't imagine there could be any other way I could have quit. Even though I still have dreams about smoking, I don't have any cravings I can't handle. I sometimes catch a whiff of someone smoking, and it smells good to me, but I know I'd be repulsed by the taste. I really hated smoking in the last years, the taste of it, the harsh burning feel of it, the inescapable smell of ashtray. Vaping tastes good, smells good, feels clean. I feel clean.

If I can do it, there's hope for everyone.

Eekins

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've actually convinced my Co-worker whose also been smoking approx. 50 years to give vaping a try. He's 64 yrs old and he's been using an ego setup I bought for his birthday with 18mg nic. He's been vaping for 3-4 months now and hasn't touched a cigarette since. He also finds he vapes less than he would smoke because he doesn't care too much for the taste, but when he gets a craving, he just takes a couple of chuffs and he settles down. I hope his journey to quit cigarettes goes as well as yours as he retires this year.

Cigarettes is not an end all. 30+ year smokers who switch to vaping prove that.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Congrats Falconeer, stories like yours never get old. Thought they'd have to put a carton in my casket when I went. No more. As RIP Trippers says... Smoking is Dead, Vaping Is the Future and the Future Is Now!

Eekins...you are a great co-worker to have done that for him.(and his family). He'll just need to find a flavour he likes better. Cheers.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I love these stories and testimonials. Congratulations :)
Same here. What a wonderful testimonial to wake up to this morning. :thumbs:

Congratulations to you for being smoke free Falconeer. It was 45 years smoking for me, now smoke free going on 5 years.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Great story. Vaping got me off a pack a day for 30+ years the day I bought my first kit.

I do smoke the odd cigar still though. I have 4 humidors full of top Cubans and I never inhale, so I don't worry about the odd one in the golf course or around the pool. Doesn't give me any urge for a cigarette either, which is great.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Vaping really is pretty marvellous - I suspected I wasn't the only long term committed smoker that it's worked for - and your replies confirm this. If us old smoking hands can do it, and post our stories, with a bit of luck this might help anyone struggling or those lurking while thinking about trying vaping to get off of tobacco.

Actually my daughter is a nurse; her husband works in a control room; neither can smoke at work but were both pretty heavy smokers and took to vaping initially just to see them through their working days....they then found vaping worked for them and, like me now, became big advocates of vaping.

Vape on all!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ah! Another "accidental" quitter! I love it!

You owe your daughter big time - for putting that e-pipe in front of you - and not trying to ram it down your throat at the same time. Trying to push people into vaping never works. Sounds like she just calmly put it before you and then... just walked away. Smart lass.

Congratulations - to all three of you.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I never made the 50 year mark for smoking, quit at age 60 after losing some teeth from 46 years of frying them with hot smoke ... :(

Vapng made it possible, and even enjoyable. Imagine that, quitting without misery and suffering. No wonder the Puritans hate vaping ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the inspirational story. And may you live to tell it for another 50 years ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread