The Old Dog and his Old Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Posting a picture of my set up for today got me thinking as it featured my oldest original well used, worn, scratched and faded iStick 30w which has served me so well and has far outlived its projected lifespan.

A lot changed for me back in October 2015 - my grown up daughter and her husband had switched to vaping as they couldn’t smoke even in the grounds at work and had taken to vaping.

They liked it and gave me an e-pipe, tobacco flavoured vape liquids, a couple of 18350 batteries for it and a Nitecore Charger.

I thanked them, said I’d give it a try - with my fingers crossed and the thought in my mind, “Aye that’ll be right, I’ll stick it in the drawer and phone you in a few weeks saying it broke and I’m really sad about it.”

A week later my conscience got the better of me and I tried it on a Friday morning ( the 17th of October ), was amazed that I got through a day on it without a craving, thought I’d try it over the weekend, did, and have never smoked in the four years plus since. Amazing since I had smoked for more than 50 years previous to that.

I took the e-pipe to Spain with me for the Winter and while there bought a couple of the old style Ego batteries and plastic tanks with their trailing glass fiber wicks “just in case.”

The 18350s need constant charging, the juice soon destroyed the threads of the pipe’s plastic tank and the back up devices gurgled badly and so I went down to Fuengirola where there was a big vape shop and asked could they recommend a better tank - they suggested a Nautilus Mini and when I asked about a battery for it ( I didn’t know they were actually called “Mods” then) they gave me an iStick 30w … and the rest is history.

I joined this Forum about five weeks after I switched to vaping. In those days MTL was THE thing, the setup I’d bought was “flavour of the month” along with the GS Air Tank and one by Kanger. I learned a lot on ECF in a very short time, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

I tend to be a bit of a stick in the mud when I find something I like and my motto tends to be “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” I’ve experimented with mechs, squonkers, drippers, and coil building over the years but always come back to my old faithful Nautis and iSticks - simply because for me they work and they work well.

Having found kits that worked, I dropped out of the Forum for a few years until in Spain over the Winter gone I thought my Nautis were failing me or giving up the ghost ( in actual fact as I discovered when I got back to the UK I had had a batch of really really bad coils ) and started reading ECF again and found that the new best thing for MTL was the Zenith, so I gave it a whirl.

I was slow to take to the Zenith I have to admit - while it made my batteries last longer for some reason and was super easy to refill on the go, at first it vaped too dry for me, seemed too airy and the drip tip didn’t initially suit me at all but I persevered with it ( them) and now keep a set of seven for use outdoors or for when travelling or for when I simply feel like a change.

Here’s the Old Soldier!

Anyone else still using old kit?

2.jpg
1.jpg

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
Posting a picture of my set up for today got me thinking as it featured my oldest original well used, worn, scratched and faded iStick 30w which has served me so well and has far outlived its projected lifespan.

A lot changed for me back in October 2015 - my grown up daughter and her husband had switched to vaping as they couldn’t smoke even in the grounds at work and had taken to vaping.

They liked it and gave me an e-pipe, tobacco flavoured vape liquids, a couple of 18350 batteries for it and a Nitecore Charger.

I thanked them, said I’d give it a try - with my fingers crossed and the thought in my mind, “Aye that’ll be right, I’ll stick it in the drawer and phone you in a few weeks saying it broke and I’m really sad about it.”

A week later my conscience got the better of me and I tried it on a Friday morning ( the 17th of October ), was amazed that I got through a day on it without a craving, thought I’d try it over the weekend, did, and have never smoked in the four years plus since. Amazing since I had smoked for more than 50 years previous to that.

I took the e-pipe to Spain with me for the Winter and while there bought a couple of the old style Ego batteries and plastic tanks with their trailing glass fiber wicks “just in case.”

The 18350s need constant charging, the juice soon destroyed the threads of the pipe’s plastic tank and the back up devices gurgled badly and so I went down to Fuengirola where there was a big vape shop and asked could they recommend a better tank - they suggested a Nautilus Mini and when I asked about a battery for it ( I didn’t know they were actually called “Mods” then) they gave me an iStick 30w … and the rest is history.

I joined this Forum about five weeks after I switched to vaping. In those days MTL was THE thing, the setup I’d bought was “flavour of the month” along with the GS Air Tank and one by Kanger. I learned a lot on ECF in a very short time, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

I tend to be a bit of a stick in the mud when I find something I like and my motto tends to be “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” I’ve experimented with mechs, squonkers, drippers, and coil building over the years but always come back to my old faithful Nautis and iSticks - simply because for me they work and they work well.

Having found kits that worked, I dropped out of the Forum for a few years until in Spain over the Winter gone I thought my Nautis were failing me or giving up the ghost ( in actual fact as I discovered when I got back to the UK I had had a batch of really really bad coils ) and started reading ECF again and found that the new best thing for MTL was the Zenith, so I gave it a whirl.

I was slow to take to the Zenith I have to admit - while it made my batteries last longer for some reason and was super easy to refill on the go, at first it vaped too dry for me, seemed too airy and the drip tip didn’t initially suit me at all but I persevered with it ( them) and now keep a set of seven for use outdoors or for when travelling or for when I simply feel like a change.

Here’s the Old Soldier!

View attachment 857701
View attachment 857699
Yep, me !! I'm also still using iSticks plus an Aspire Zelos. That and the 2 current iSticks are coming towards the end of their lives but I've still got 2 more in the cupboard. I've also switched from Nautilus minis and Nautilus 2 to the Zenith and can't see that changing anytime soon. I've also got loads of mods I bought pre TPD (just in case) so I've got plenty of backups too, including a Provari which I do use from time to time.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I switched from my 30/40's to the joyetech primo fit. Bigger battery and shorter and squat so it don't fall over easily. Full face analog clock as a screen. Really big fire button, lol.
    I just use two, one on charge. 2A charging is awesome! Gotta try those 1.2 Zenith coils soon they were great on my other tank.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The 30 was nice with that lip above the fire button. And the chrome was as nice as the bumper on an old car. Button wore out tho being the one and only mod that I used all day long for a couple yrs.
    Zelos was classy but went into auto-fire mode one day. Got plenty of service from it tho.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I've got some newer stuff but I have a 4 year old iStick 40 that's as battered as yours and still going fine. And some full size Nautilus, and Pro Tanks. They work just fine.

Don't want to get stuck in the past though. I have some new state of the art tanks as well, KFL's and Lemos.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL

Here’s the Old Soldier!

View attachment 857701
    View attachment 857699
    Reminds me of my uncle. His go to is still after 6-7 years a nautilus & 30w istick. He also uses a Zenith on one. I've been stashing isticks and coils for both tanks for him. Unlike you he seldom sticks his toe in the gear pond.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    @Falconeer That setup of yours I give credit to hundreds of people in my immediate community for quitting smoking. A true classic and I can understand how it satisfies without need to change it. I’m glad it has served you so well for so long. :)

Many thanks - that is the reason I do keep coming back to that set up - the epipe worked OK but for me the real enjoyment came when I got the Nauti Mini/istick 30w combo - so much so that when we went out to dinner on Christmas day that year and Mine Host produced the special chocolate flavoured cigars he always got from Gibraltar to give out I wasn't tempted to take one - to the utter amazement of the company.

I wasn't doing the "get behind me Satan" routine either - by that time I genuinely preferrred a vape to a smoke.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Funny, looking around, I don't own anything that is even made anymore.

The PV that is in my hand was delivered on 15, Nov, 12, and still works like a charm.

I think that's the way it is when you find something you really like that gives you the satisfaction you want.

• Agree
    Reactions: tj99959

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Reminds me of my uncle. His go to is still after 6-7 years a nautilus & 30w istick. He also uses a Zenith on one. I've been stashing isticks and coils for both tanks for him. Unlike you he seldom sticks his toe in the gear pond.

I own up to stocking up with Zenith and Nauti coils too! They work, they stop(ped) me from smoking so "what's not to like?"

You know, most of my Picos came with Melo tanks - and they went straight to Vape Heaven - I'd simply no notion to try them or to adopt a different style.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    The 30 was nice with that lip above the fire button. And the chrome was as nice as the bumper on an old car. Button wore out tho being the one and only mod that I used all day long for a couple yrs.
    Zelos was classy but went into auto-fire mode one day. Got plenty of service from it tho.

I actually love the sweet curve from one side of the other and out to the lip ... mildly obsessive I know - but very much what we recommended guys trying to get off of cigarettes to a pipe to do back in the before vaping days - buy a nice pipe, admire it, get fixated onto it and work on your technique to avoid cigarette cravings. I used the same aspproach with vaping and it worked!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Reminds me of my uncle. His go to is still after 6-7 years a nautilus & 30w istick.
    5 years I'd believe, but those devices didn't exist 6 years ago.

I'm pretty confident in saying this because today happens to be the 6th anniversary of when I started vaping. In the months immediately following, I looked at most everything that was on the market at that time. The Nautilus line was introduced during 2014, and the iStick 30W in 2015.

Reactions: bigbob2322

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    5 years I'd believe, but those devices didn't exist 6 years ago.

I'm pretty confident in saying this because today happens to be the 6th anniversary of when I started vaping. In the months immediately following, I looked at most everything that was on the market at that time. The Nautilus line was introduced during 2014, and the iStick 30W in 2015.
    Congratulations!
    Honestly all I remember is he started vaping before I did. Guess it wasn't as much longer before than I thought.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread