• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

It's getting harder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I started vaping about 3.5 months ago. Most of the time, it wasn't hard.

Now the weather is changing, and it's really hitting me. It never hit me like this while I was a smoker - I think that's part of the reason I smoked. It helped me cope with the cold, dark months.

I've been wanting a cigarette for days. Normally I'd give in and have one, to realize how gross they are. But I don't think that's what would happen. I think I'd keep smoking them. Because my body and my mind know that I'll feel better if I do.

And I can't afford that right now.

I have an emergency snuff supply. It's kind of helping. But if I used it as much as I feel like I need to, it would be gone in a couple days.

I hate Northern winter...

Is anyone else struggling as the sun is setting earlier?

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
I hear you loud and clear. I live in North Idaho, not far from the Canadian border. Long, dark, cold nights and the days get way too short. Not enough sunlight.

Sunlight has a lot of influence on mood. It makes us feel good. Darkness has the opposite effect. When the eyes detect darkness, signals are sent to the brain to slow down, or depress. Tiredness, crankiness, etc are then felt. This is when we are supposed to crawl into bed and sleep, but this far north, the days get really short and with all of that darkness, the brain runs a bit depressed. This can make addictions worse, as most addictions are based on some sort of self-medication, so we look towards our fixes as sources of comfort.

It makes sense that vaping can be more difficult to stick with (especially for new vapers, or a vaper's first winter with e-cigs) as the cravings can get worse.

I would suggest keeping your VP close to you at all times, keep it palmed so you can feel it there at all times, or make a lanyard for it so you can wear it all the time. This way it's there when you need it most, even if it's all the time. Also, try to keep yourself busy in any way you can so you don't end up focusing on the cravings.

I hope this info has some usefulness.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
I'm not addicted to cigarettes anymore. I will have one from time to time If I'm around friends that smoke and I happen to feel like one.

not a big deal to me anymore.

Seriously I have better chance getting addicted to vaping, but the nic alone cannot hold me. So I feel free.

I smoked a PAD for almost 22 years. (I say almost because I didn't start out a PAD.)

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I am bi-polar and most of my episodes are depression so it is always a struggle but I am not really craving analogs, I am just battling the depression more everyday. We also just moved from AZ to Colorado and way high in the mountains. So I am dealing with a lot of issues, altitude sickness which leaves me nauseated, dizzy and headaches. I am having to change flavors a lot because even my vaping is nauseating me. Then there is the fact that I went from 100 degree weather to snow yesterday. We have only been here 11 days so I need I just need to get used to everything. I know you deal with depression on a ongoing basis as well but just do the best you can and don't be hard on yourself. It's times like these that we need to treat ourselves as good as we would someone we love that was going through the same thing. Easier said then done I know, we tend to be harder on ourselves then we would ever dream of being on someone else. This too shall pass...........

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Yes indeed. I remember the seasonal depression from before I was a smoker. But like I said, smoking really helped me with it. Vaping doesn't seem to help as much.

I HATE Minnesota!! I always have. I don't know why I came back here. Although I may be moving somewhere with better weather before it gets too bad. God I hope so. I remember now why I hate this place - long, dark, miserable winters.

When I was smoking, I was doing so well that I stopped taking Omega-3 and got a little more relaxed about other lifestyle stuff. And since I quit smoking in the summer, I didn't notice any difference. I'm much more generally stable than I used to be. But apparently whatever it was in cigs that helped me through winter is not in e-cigs.

I'm vaping like a fiend, and taking "breaks" - where I just go do something to shut off my brain for a bit, like getting really into some music or watching House or something. That's helping a bit. Busy brain is a bad thing when you're feeling crappy, and I have the busiest brain I've ever seen, heh.

Still want a cig. Good thing I can't afford it anyway. *sigh*

But my partner has told me he won't be upset if I need to smoke a little this winter. That was really nice to hear. Knowing people I care about won't see me as a failure helps me be easier on myself for some reason.

For now, I can't afford to smoke. If that changes... we'll see. I don't want to. I'll start getting more strict on my lifestyle again and see if that helps. It should. Man I hate winter.

Lisa B - It's kinda tough in the Northern states. Feel better, and take care of yourself. Try lowering your nic a little to help with the nausea, if you can.

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I am actually Canadian so use to winters was only in Arizona for couple of years, just never lived this high, we are at about 8500 ft. Everyone says it takes some getting used to but it is sure beautiful country here. I will get there and battle myself through the winter, just have to remember to be good to myself.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
yup! It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD. I had it when I moved to Washington state, a lil bit north of Seattle. The constant gray misting cold rain & lack of light really got to me. I have lived all over the country, but mostly in the southern half. It was a shock for sure. I think it may hit people that already have depression a bit harder. There are natural remedies that may help, light thearpy and such. I'd up my nic to kick me over the hill. It's also why there is such an absolute obsession with espresso there in Seattle. You need it to get through the winters. Hang in there, go slow, get some natural artificial light, drink lots of water, eat right, exercise, the usual. Keep in mind that it DOES PAss! Treat yourself a little! Buy some nice smelling bath salts, watch your favorite movies in your comfiest jammies, call an old friend you miss. Write yourself a love letter. Journal your expereinces, it will help you to look back next year and see what helped and what didn't. (((hugs)))

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
I want a cigarette all the time. I was addicted to them for a long time and not a day goes by where I don't have a atleast a 5 minutes long craving for one. They pass but my will power is always being put to the test. Keep analogs far away and don't be tempted to bum one of a coworker or family member.

Last edited:

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
If you are craving, your nic level is too low! get a bottle of higher nic for those times, please! I chain vape because I like to. when I don't want to HAVE to I up my nic and find myself satisfied. Don't be afraid to increase your nic when you need it. In the long run, it will keep you off analogs and that's the whole point. You can always drop it back down later on. Hang in there!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
about seasonal affective disorder and light therapy... working third shift for a while I never saw the sun... floresent blacklight fixtures fitted with full spectrum aquarium lights helped a good deal... they give off full spectrum light to help plant growth in awuariums...so they help replicate sunlight if used outside an aquarium... also how we keep our ourdoor plants alive inside in the winter....

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
RW gets terrible down in the dumps (depressed) in the winter time and I've wondered if the florescent would do him good.
His answer is to go visit him Mom in Arizona part of the winter.
We might have to rethink the florescent though because I don't know if he is up for the trip this year.

it's not just floresent though... it's full spectrum floresent... sold at pet stores for aquariums (mainly salt water)... though some stores also have "plant" lightbulbs now too that are full spectrum but the plant bulbs have a very narrow light range... the floresent ones have a much wider coverage area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread