It's officially official!

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Hey Reonauts, I'm back with my freshly rebuilt Reo Grand from the hands of the wizardly Rob! My normal 18mg juice is too strong with this setup, so I'll stick to 6-8mg in this puppy. The 18 will be for my usual Kanger stuff, or if I throw a shorty carto on here. But other than that, this thing is AMAZING (as you can see from my "self portrait" below, lol).

My first build ended up being 6-7 wraps of 28ga around a little hex wrench. If I remember correctly it's about 1.08 ohm. I only get 1 to 1 1/2 good drags from each squonk, but because the wick is so short I know that's normal. Just something to get used to. Anyway, thanks for all of your help super_X, Rattler, Papa, ancient, Rick, Rob, and everyone else. vape on!

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Very nice! Sorry you had to take a little detour, but it looks like you're enjoying it now. :D

What are you using for wicks? With sterile cotton at 1ohm I can get 3-4 good pulls before I need to squonk. You probably just need to play around with the amount of wick you're using.

Congrats and Welcome to Reoville again!.

If anything your wick is too long, try shorter tails and less thickness.

Ah, yes. Wicking. My worst enemy with rebuilding. I picked up wrapping coils, squeezing them together, and hitting a rough target resistance pretty easily, but wicking... it's so fickle! I've found that if I go over or under the correct amount of cotton by literally a strand or 2, it can totally screw up how it operates. So too much cotton, huh guys? So it must be choking the coil then. Alrighty, I'll try a more wispy piece tomorrow. And shorter too, Filthy? I clipped the ends right at the edges of the atomizer, and then pressed them down so they're lying on the deck (organic cotton balls, btw).

And that reminds me of a related question: do I want the wick over the juice feed hole, or should the coil be over it? Maybe my coil is too far to the right.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
In a Reo less is more, many people report a big improvement. No you don't want it over the hole. This can affect the draining and lead to problems. You might want to try Koh Gen Do cotton, it a pad so when you find the right thickness it's very easy to repeat. I've moved on to ceramic wicks because I get absent minded and dry hit all the time. I have some KGD I'm not using so drop me a PM with your address and send you some to try. With that ohm coil you should be able to get 3 or more good hits between squonks.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
In a Reo less is more, many people report a big improvement. No you don't want it over the hole. This can affect the draining and lead to problems. You might want to try Koh Gen Do cotton, it a pad so when you find the right thickness it's very easy to repeat. I've moved on to ceramic wicks because I get absent minded and dry hit all the time. I have some KGD I'm not using so drop me a PM with your address and send you some to try. With that ohm coil you should be able to get 3 or more good hits between squonks.

Since it's Friday and I'm still awake I decided to try a thinner wick tonight, and if I try to take a 2nd drag without squonking it is still bone dry. But to be honest, I haven't had a lot of luck with cotton in anything I've tried. I had an IGO-L, Smok RDA, Patriot, and 2 different Kayfun clones, and I sold all of them because I got frustrated with wicking. So I know this has nothing to do with the godly RM2. I also bought some silica so I'll try that tomorrow. And I will gladly send you my address! Thanks, that's very nice of you.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Since it's Friday and I'm still awake I decided to try a thinner wick tonight, and if I try to take a 2nd drag without squonking it is still bone dry. But to be honest, I haven't had a lot of luck with cotton in anything I've tried. I had an IGO-L, Smok RDA, Patriot, and 2 different Kayfun clones, and I sold all of them because I got frustrated with wicking. So I know this has nothing to do with the godly RM2. I also bought some silica so I'll try that tomorrow. And I will gladly send you my address! Thanks, that's very nice of you.
I'll also throw in a piece of readyXwick, do me favor try a ugly coil with it. This is a 1.15 ohm coil.

IMAG2014-L.jpg

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
congrats10.gif

I hope you get the wick thing worked out. Like you, I got to the point where I hated cotton. I tried expensive organic cotton balls from Whole Foods and regular cheapies from CVS. I tried boiled in distilled water and not boiled- I kept getting funky, dry hits. The taste was off and made my throat scratchy.

Then there was KGD......vaping bliss. Enjoy!

Also, quick question for Filthy Beast...I've heard this term thrown around a lot "ugly coil". Is this just for the RxW or can this be done with KGD? I read an ugly coil (spaced out versus touching I assume) gives more TH/Flavor?? Or did I read another thread wrong?

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
IMHO ..... you can do an "ugly" coil with any wick. But I find them best with RxW or Ekowool.

RxW is all I use now ..... my coils are truly ugly in more ways then one. but with the 3mm I use and at 1.2 - 1.3 ohms I can get 5-6 good pulls without the dry hits ..... and dry hits with RxW are not nearly as bad as with other wicking materials :)

BTW ...... Congrats big time on the REO its all gravy from here on out.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Also, quick question for Filthy Beast...I've heard this term thrown around a lot "ugly coil". Is this just for the RxW or can this be done with KGD? I read an ugly coil (spaced out versus touching I assume) gives more TH/Flavor?? Or did I read another thread wrong?

Yes spaced wraps is an ugly coil, when compared to very neat and orderly super_x_drifter pics and videos of the Micro coil. I think it was Rob who first used the term Ugly coil to describe his.

The micro coil is very efficient in it's use of electrical power and benefits from heat transfer between the coils. To get the same heat I feel the ugly coil needs to be a slightly lower ohm.

I use the ugly because the wick gets more exposure to juice and I'm not solely relying on "wicking" action. I'm a very absent minded vaper and often take a hit on a coil that should have been squonked first. This is why I cannot do cotton since I always burn it, I notice big improvement with ceramic wicks I'm not sure if it would help cotton.

So best I can give you is "Try it, you might like it" :p

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I'm getting embarrassed about complaining so much since I'm a "veteran" and what have you (said sarcastically), so let me just say thanks to everyone again. I shouldn't have posted on Friday while I was still in my "puppy love" phase. ;)

But anyway, after a good night's sleep I tried an ugly spaced out coil on 2mm folded silica, up at 1.4 ohm so I can use 18mg juice, and I'm getting about 4 puffs between squonks. So that's good. It's a bummer I'm not a cotton guy because it's cheap and easy to change flavors, but eh, live and learn. :) Not every device and setup is for every person, and that's the beauty of the vaping world. I'm still going to try the KGD and RxW, you're the man, Filthy.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
wicking was my worst enemy too, pre-REO. haven't had any issues since, always using organic cotton. I can use lots of cotton, or hardly any, and get perfect hits for 3-6 hits between squonks. I now, perfectly honest, detest tanks altogether. they're a total waste of my time. anyway, not sure what's causing the dry hits, are you giving it a good 3-5 second squonk each time? submerging the coil is something I do periodically. may not be necessary but seems to really do the trick :)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I am a staunch supporter of the micro coil as I feel it works best for my style of vaping. I will add that what works for me might not work for anyone else!! With this in mind, I have been using 2mm RxW for some time now and like the micro coil and its high performance, the RxW is high performance and very low maintenance for me. It only takes a piece about 1/2" long for each coil and, to me, wicks excessively well. I get on avg of 4 hits per squonk in all my builds that range from .48Ω - .9Ω... Unlike cotton, I have a good idea when I am about to get a dry hit and it is much more forgiving. With cotton, the dry hit just happened and by then it was too late, it needed to be changed out. RxW only needs to be changed out when I decide to recoil my atty. A simple dry burn every couple days and its like new again and ready to rock... I have some 3mm RxW that I use on a couple RDA's w/ ugly coils and they seem, to me, to gunk up a little faster and are a little more finicky to dry burn and clean up. This is just my observation...

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Post edited: I re-read what I originally posted here and I think I sounded like an apologetic basket case. So long story short: #1. thanks to Filthy-Beast, Ko Gen Doh is AWESOME and I'll never use cotton balls again, and #2. I'm selling this Reo, but will probably use the funds to buy a new one in a color I like more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread