Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Starbucks policy is that it's also not permitted to vape outside. Hence I avoid it.

Actually, I was told by the store manager that vaping outside is fine. I'll have to go check out their policy to be sure. There are always a few people vaping outside, including some Starbucks employees. I can't find anything on Starbucks.com which references vaping at all. All they say is outdoor "smoking" within 25 feet of a Starbucks entrance is banned.

Can you provide anything directly from Starbucks showing Vaping is also banned?

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
What we do is safe for any and all bystanders.

It's not entirely about safety.

"My vape is safe so I can do it when I want, where I want. If people smell it or are annoyed by it then that's their problem, not mine."

That's your attitude? Then you might also be a ......... too.

Vaping might be safer, but it has a smell, and that smell might get on other people's nerves, so they are perfectly in their right to ask you not to do it. Just like you have a right to walk up to a guy in a leather jacket and ask him to sillage his Drakar Noir out of your nostrils.

Vaping is nothing more than another, safer way to mimic smoking, that's precisely why it exists in the first place, so why are you so surprised that people think it is, indeed, smoking?

It's very disappointing that the flag bearers of vaping are grown people with the mindset of 12 year olds with their heads stuck miles up their own arses. Were you just as considerate of others when you were sipping scorching tar out of burning sticks?

With that said, I don't expect it to change. The loudest proponents of anything are always the annoying, immature ones.

Last edited:

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
Where does vaping come from?

Smoking.

If vaping didn't mimick smoking, then it wouldn't be as popular and wouldn't work nearly as good to get us off the cigs. Actually this forum might have 1% of it's current member count if vaping didn't mimick smoking so closely. Look at the signatures of people. A very large proportion of people have smoking cessation related signatures. Why?

Because they used to be smokers. I used to be a smoker. I ....ing loved smoking. I probably still do, that's why I got myself an EVOD.

Why is vaping so great? It's amazing precisely because it mimicks smoking and replaces it with a more enjoyable feeling. Better throat hit, better buzz.

Most of us wouldn't even be here on this forum if it wasn't for it.

Now what does vaping look like to non-smokers? Does it smell? Can you blame them?

Vaping will never be "socially acceptable" like walking around with a bottle of water. It looks too much like smoking. If you cannot wrap your head around this fact, vaping at starbucks is the least of your worries.

If you so need to enjoy your nicotine in public, then why do you insist on vaping? Just buy nicotine patches!! Everyone will leave you alone!!

No? Why? Because you like the fact that vaping mimicks smoking? Well..............deal with it champ, everyone else does.

It's hilarious how most of the imagery of smoking is the Marlboro man and James Dean and whatnot, but in the end so many ex smokers just want to be loved by everyone and allowed to vape everywhere or they'll boycott your store. LOL. 1% of the world's population is a vaper, so if you cannot just put your vape aside for a minute while you're buying a coffee, then your a bigger slave to the vape product than you were to cigarettes back when you loved breathing in burning tar. And you want Joe pinklungs (99% of the world) to just be like "yeah man, no problem, it's like drinking water you know, I totally get it brah".

You're dreaming, son.

It's fine by me, I can spend 3 minutes of my day without sucking of the motherly tit of my mini protank 2 so go ahead and boycott starbucks or whatever, no one cares. I'll be inside if you want to calm down and have a coffee with a socially conscious grown man.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
E-cigarettes put corporate smoking policies to the test - Business - The Boston Globe

Starbucks is 25 feet any type of "smoking". You can insist that it is not smoking, but it is included in their definition of smoking.

Interesting article. Especially the boss who quit smoking using e-cigs and then gave them to her employees who were smokers.

I'd still appreciate someone pointing out where Starbucks specifically refers to Vaping or electronic cigarettes. I've not found any specific reference anywhere.

Again, the manager at my local Sbucks said Vaping outside their stores is fine and many of their employees do so.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I'd still appreciate someone pointing out where Starbucks specifically refers to Vaping or electronic cigarettes. I've not found any specific reference anywhere.

Again, the manager at my local Sbucks said Vaping outside their stores is fine and many of their employees do so.

Starbucks, other businesses ban e-cigarettes - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Pulled the reddit link. Just do a google search for starbucks vaping policy for the reddit guy who emailed starbucks and got back the response that they treat ecigs as smoking. Or if you want me to PM you I will.

Just hope starbucks corporate doesn't get wind of it. If you still want to deny you can always call them up and ask the or send them an email. Maybe their policies have changed, but I doubt it. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If they are outside 25 feet, then that's okay with corporate. I will not try to explain what 25 feet from the premises is.

Last edited:

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Starbucks, other businesses ban e-cigarettes - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Pulled the reddit link. Just do a google search for starbucks vaping policy for the reddit guy who emailed starbucks and got back the response that they treat ecigs as smoking. Or if you want me to PM you I will.

Just hope starbucks corporate doesn't get wind of it. If you still want to deny you can always call them up and ask the or send them an email. Maybe their policies have changed, but I doubt it. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If they are outside 25 feet, then that's okay with corporate. I will not try to explain what 25 feet from the premises is.

Thanks. I wasn't doubting it, I just couldn't find it. As long as my local Sbucks seems to not have an issue with Vaping outside the store, I'm not going to worry. If I'm asked to stop I will of course comply without a fuss.

That said, it does appear the comment from the Starbucks official in the article was referring more to Vaping inside the store and is not as clear about Vaping outside. The comment was about coffee beans absorbing exhaled vapor. That certainly isn't possible from outside.

Last edited:

Supergrover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Rockaway NJ
I recently went on a cruise, when I boarded I asked if they had a policy about vaping.
They said you can only vape in the smoking areas.
So thats where I vaped, I just stayed far enough away from the smokers so I did not have to smell it too much.
Met 3 other vapers on that cruise, all of whom said they were told to vape in the smoking areas after being seen vaping in non smoking areas.
1 guy had a nemesis with a .3ohm build, one girl had a provari setup, and one had a halo triton setup
I also educated about a dozen smokers on vaping, hopefully at least one of them switches

As someone else said... If I would not smoke an analog somewhere, I would not vape there either.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
It's not entirely about safety.

"My vape is safe so I can do it when I want, where I want. If people smell it or are annoyed by it then that's their problem, not mine."

That's your attitude? Then you might also be a ......... too.

My attitude, which I know to be DC2's attitude is vape in public with respect. Try as you might to spin that into inherent disrespect, and this thread will go on for another 50 pages to help you understand what that means. During the time that 50 pages is being written DC2, myself and others will be vaping in public with respect.

Vaping is nothing more than another, safer way to mimic smoking, that's precisely why it exists in the first place, so why are you so surprised that people think it is, indeed, smoking?

I would be surprised if people thought I was smoking right after I am getting over the idea that someone actually noticed me vaping in their presence when I have done so well in 2.5 years of vaping in public out of people's presence.

Many of us that vape in public have many stories of it being socially acceptable. Of talking with fellow patrons who have no idea what that thingamajig is. Who then learn what it is and are totally cool with it being done around them. I have this experience, but because of the semi-noticeable change in ANTZ gaming on this, I generally choose not to vape in crowded spaces. But there are many spaces in public where there are zero people around, and as usual I cite a hospital as perfect example of this. The place where I will vape in front of known non-vapers in an enclosed space is my friends' houses. I ask them periodically if they smell it, and it is very rare that they say they do. I have friends that are very ANTZ like when it comes to smoking, and yet with regards to the social aspect of vaping, are very vape friendly.

But in this type of discussion, the assumption from the non-public vaping vaper is that all non-vaping strangers will be annoyed, irritated and despise that their space is being violated by the 'smoke' that permeates the entire structure of the building. IOW, they are carrying the torch for the ANTZ side of this equation.

So, they vape only where smoking is permitted. Except when it comes to their own house and own car, then it is okay, because it just is. And they'll vape outdoors wherever they want, even if there is a policy against it or even if they don't know what the policy is, because it is just okay to vape there. And some of them have indoor places where, for them personally, it is okay, in that specific location. All other indoor locations, especially those that others claim is okay in their experience, is certainly not okay, because it just isn't. Why is that? They play the "respect" card, but then somehow have extreme trouble understanding that same concept when someone mentions the words, "vape everywhere with respect."

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
- No, it's not that you will annoy everyone, it's that you shouldn't be surprised or offended if it does annoy someone.

- The safety of second hand vape is not an excuse or an incentive to do it in public. Or an argument when someone comes up to you and asks you to stop.

- Anything that remotely ressembles smoking will never be 100% socially acceptable because of the visual signature of it. I can live with that, it doesn't bother me at all.

That's it. I vape copiously in public. Outside. I don't vape in restaurants, libraries, movie theater, coffee shops, I used to vape at my desk at work and someone who sits right next to me told me she didn't like the smell so I don't do it anymore.

Big deal, I go outside, that's what I used to do when I smoked. I didn't start arguing about the safety of it with her, who cares? The smell bothered her first and foremost. Fair enough. I'm not 12 years old, I'm not gonna throw a tantrum because I can't stand to spend an hour at my desk without my vape. That's just childish.

ANTZ or not, I don't feel like my rights are being taken away because someone doesn't like my raspberry at work and asks me to stop. Actually, I feel lucky that I could do it for 3 months before she told me about it.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It's very disappointing that the flag bearers of vaping are grown people with the mindset of 12 year olds with their heads stuck miles up their own arses. Were you just as considerate of others when you were sipping scorching tar out of burning sticks?

With that said, I don't expect it to change. The loudest proponents of anything are always the annoying, immature ones.
Sounds like there is a basic difference between you and me...

I EXPECT people to be annoying and I deal with it.
You probably feel you have a right to be free from anything that might annoy you.

You are probably the kind of person that complains about everything too.
And that's the most annoying thing of all.

Last edited:

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
- No, it's not that you will annoy everyone, it's that you shouldn't be surprised or offended if it does annoy someone.

- The safety of second hand vape is not an excuse or an incentive to do it in public. Or an argument when someone comes up to you and asks you to stop.

- Anything that remotely ressembles smoking will never be 100% socially acceptable because of the visual signature of it. I can live with that, it doesn't bother me at all.

That's it. I vape copiously in public. Outside. I don't vape in restaurants, libraries, movie theater, coffee shops, I used to vape at my desk at work and someone who sits right next to me told me she didn't like the smell so I don't do it anymore.

Big deal, I go outside, that's what I used to do when I smoked. I didn't start arguing about the safety of it with her, who cares? The smell bothered her first and foremost. Fair enough. I'm not 12 years old, I'm not gonna throw a tantrum because I can't stand to spend an hour at my desk without my vape. That's just childish.

ANTZ or not, I don't feel like my rights are being taken away because someone doesn't like my raspberry at work and asks me to stop. Actually, I feel lucky that I could do it for 3 months before she told me about it.

Assuming that we are not sitting side by side at the same desk, (in which case I would ask before vaping or not vape at all ), I would have changed flavour first, then I would have tried un-flavored juice, than I would steath vape then I would think of something else .

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
Sounds like there is a basic difference between you and me...

I EXPECT people to be annoying and I deal with it.
You probably feel you have a right to be free from anything that might annoy you.

You are probably the kind of person that complains about everything too.
And that's the most annoying thing of all.

LOL

That's so far off the mark I can't even wrap my head around it.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I really wish we were all mature enough to consider the perceptions we create when using these things in public. People still don't know what these devices are, and for all they know, they might think we are publicly getting high off some new drug. Especially when it comes to the devices that get really far away from the cigarette appearance.

We must all realize that we are ambassadors of this vaping culture, and should act accordingly. Act like a snot in public, and they will think we are in need of bans, because we are out of control.

You do have a point. I've had an alarming number of people approach me and ask "what you got in there?" And they weren't asking what flavor. They wanted to know if it was "something else".

I quickly let them know that I quit 'that' years ago. I'm not in the loop anymore, but it must be popular now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread